Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Years ago I was camping out at Lake Powell and trying to find a remote bay that I found on the map. The map indicated that it was a dirt road, but didn't show that it required 4 wheel drive. I was going along when the road dipped down into a sand wash and completely disappeared. (it may have run up the wash but I couldn't see where it was supposed to be) About that same time the bottom dropped out and I was stuck. I lowered the tire pressure then spent the next hour digging and backing over firewood I stuffed under the tires. I had plenty of supplies so I was never in real danger, but I did learn a lesson about the dangers of driving in remote areas.

A couple of years later I had joined search and rescue. In the late fall the couple had gone out on a "joy ride" and never returned. In the spring someone reported spotting their car and we got the call. Ultimately we found the car, and their bodies a few miles further down the road. They had gotten a flat, ran the engine to stay warm, ran out of gas, got caught in a snow storm, and froze to death trying to walk out. They hadn't told anyone where they were going and they were over 150 miles from their home.

The outdoors is a lot of fun, but nature respects no man.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• KDT1970
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Sep 2009

I think if I was in that situation i would either burn my spare tire to create smoke or if that didnt work maybe the whole vehicle before I died in a snow storm.

Comment

Working...