• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lobster68w
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Dec 2008

I'm an idiot.

So today I topped off my gas tank, loaded my ATV in the back of my truck, and decided to head out and do some exploring.

I headed to Eureka first to check on the snow depth and gauge an idea as to what mines might still be accessible. Not many, the snow was pretty deep. So, I headed on down south on 6, to take the Jericho-Callao road into the west desert. When I got to the intersection of the Erickson Pass Rd, I decided to try and take that back up north back to Dugway. I got about 6 miles down it and the snow got to deep. I got stuck turning around, but it was easy to get out. So, I figure I'll head back south, take the Riverbed Ranch Rd to the Pony Express and head back through Simpson Springs since I figured the Death Canyon Rd would have alot of snow on it as well. Anyway, things were going good until I got about 8 miles west of Simpson Springs and the drifts were getting pretty deep. I shot over off the road and onto the desert floor and drove a couple miles that way. I came to a small ditch about 3' deep. I found what I thought was a good solid way to get over it. I know I should of gotten out and walked it first to make sure, but I didn't. That's where the "I'm and idiot" comes into play. I've pulled people out of the ditch out there before for doing the same thing so I should really know better. Anyway, I started driving across it and suddenly my entire front end just dropped and my truck came to a sudden stop. Put it in 4L, but that didn't help at all, wheels were just spinning. Got my shovel out, dug for a bit to no avail. So, since I'm sans cell service at this point, I unload my ATV, grab some water, my hat, gloves, and jacket and hit the road. Thankfully I ran into to chicks at Simpson Springs who were able to pull me out, otherwise I would of ended driving about 10 more miles to cell service range and call a buddy back at Dugway. It took about 6 good jolts to get my truck out of there. It was hung up pretty good on the frame. I still am shaking my head as to why I even thought about driving there. Oh well, all turned out well. Just a good lesson to always be prepared. I never go anywhere without the ATV, as it's a good backup if something does happen. Anyway, thought I'd share a good (but bad) west desert experience with ya'll.

Éirinn go Brách
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Nice dude. I've been in a very similar situation up in the Uintas. A Jeep wrangler, F-250, and a Silvarado could not pull me out. Finally found a Duelly F-350 with mad crazy mud tires that managed to yank me out. Spent over a day looking for somebody to get me out. Sucks. Glad you made it out!
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ryan162
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

hey thats trail karma for ya! if you hadnt pulled out other vehicles in the past then you probably would be still stuck there lol

Comment

• Mark1955
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Dec 2008

Hey, and I thought the chicks you ran into would just peck out your tires...

Comment

• lobster68w
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Mark1955
          Hey, and I thought the chicks you ran into would just peck out your tires...

Somehow there is a redneck joke in there because I had a Chevy and they were in a Dodge.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Stuart
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

I'm headed out there this week, hope the snow cooperates. I will have chains though and my Destination AT tires are brand new so I should have a good time wheeling out there. Just in case I am going with some other vehicles help if any of us get stuck.

I remember once when a certain guy I know got his Land Rover pulled out of the mud by a Jeep Liberty in Colorado......
            -Stuart Burgess
            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
            Burgess Exploration LLC
            http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
            Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

And when you get stuck, I'll pull you out with my chains and brand new Destination MT tires.
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• UnderUtah
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jun 2008

Aaaahhh yes... Rescued by a lil' Jeep Puberty... How tragically embarrasing. What do you do when you have your front end spinning in mud and your rear end hovering a few inches above the ground? Glad they were there, and I am sure it was a great story for them to tell their friends.
                Miah
                Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Mark1955
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Dec 2008

And Mike... When you get stuck I'll come pull you out with the Hummer that doesn't require any MT tires....

Comment

• Mike
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

You only wish!
                    -Fish
                    Mojave Mine Team
                    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
                      True Mojave
                      • Jul 2008

We have all been on both ends of the tow strap. Humility at its finest
                      Kurt Williams
                      CruiserOutfitters.com
                      ExpeditionUtah.com
                      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Skylinerider
                        Mojave Teen
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ExpUt
                        That's for sure
                        www.drycanyonmaps.com

Comment

• John
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Miner
                          • Oct 2008

Yup!

Comment

• lobster68w
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Miner
                            • Dec 2008

No kidding!

I came back through the WD on the Pony Express yesterday. They plowed it all the way to the turn-off that heads north into the Dugway's. It wasn't plowed at all last winter. Weird.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Mark1955
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Outlaw
                              • Dec 2008

It's been plowerd cause they are lookin for that guy's missing wife out there...

Comment

Working...