X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan162
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

i think the leaving it open to the family years down the road is just the fact they are sealing that wing up and not pouring concrete down on him.

they said it will be closed by the end of the week so that means today right?

very interesting legal matters regarding public land and its interpretation. if this one does get sealed up there will certainly be a line of people ready to use there rights and legal action for the next closure talks of some other place.

Comment

• Mark1955
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Dec 2008

Stuart... Not to get too political about any of this but I see another revolution of one sort or another probably happenning in our lifetime. The people of this country are starting to show many different signs of this comming at some point. The entire Government has literally gone to crapola and probably never will ever recover without something really big happenning to cause a clean up...

Mark

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Just another forum of the public being removed from the public lands. While its been advertised as 'private' property, this land belongs to the citizens of the State of Utah in a distant form and at a minimum management relating to should be open to public comment imp. While I can understand the liability, this is a slippery slop. We are not talking about a private mine, an abandoned building or an old canal full of water... we are talking about a natural feature.

The future of recreation is the "IMAX Experience" in which they can't even let you into the real outdoors, you just watch it on a movie. Read the book "Brave New West" by Moab local Jim Stiles, he really drives this point home. While his satire makes you giggle at times, situations like this really help envision this as our future.
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mark1955
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Dec 2008

The future of recreation is the "IMAX Experience"
          HA! Even that is suffering big time with the new "Digital Imax" Systems being implemented... Many are calling it LieMax. Say good bye to large format 70 millimeter Imax, it probably won't be around very much longer.

Mark

Comment

• Mr.Irksome
            Mojave Child
            • Aug 2009

I watched things progress by seeing what was posted on the cave web site. Mike leavitt posted a news report on the site which stated that the close up plan was to throw heavy rocks down the big slide closing it up there. then they would use cement on the main entrance.
            they showed on a map where it was that John got stuck. I believe I have been in that area before. that is indeed a very tight location. I was crawling on previously untouched soil, but soon I turned back where I could see there would no return if I made a mistake.
            I share this to say that I understand why he got stuck.
            I do not on the other hand believe the cave should have been closed! It makes me very upset that his dead body now monopolizes that entire cave. If they chose to leave him there they could have sealed up the part of the cave where people almost never go anyways. If I was in this situation I would have made sure that his body come out even if that meant in pieces.
            As someone else stated, "If he were a caver" and I believe, even a spelunker, he would not wish his body left down there so that no one else can ever go into the cave again.

Comment

• Mark1955
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Dec 2008

He was indeed a caver!!! But hey, thats what you get with the retard politicians we have running this state....

Comment

Working...