Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Nutty Putty Cave in the News

Just developing...

• Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Wow. They just reopened it and already people are getting themselves stuck. Amazing.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mr.Irksome
      Mojave Child
      • Aug 2009

That's frustrating. I hope there's not a big push to close it up again.

Comment

• bergdh
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Mr.Irksome
        That's frustrating. I hope there's not a big push to close it up again.
        Yes it is, especially how there is a process to have to qualify of sorts to go in. But if they are chipping away at the birth canal maybe people wont get stuck now...
        <big></big>R. Berg #02
        C. Berg
        A. Berg

Supporting Your Adventure

Comment

• ryan162
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Feb 2009

that stinks. you'd never find me in there lol. ive read about the contortions you need to go to wiggle through that thing. the way it sounds is that if your arms arnt in the right configuration then you end up like this guy

Comment

• Troy
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Mar 2009

A very scary ordeal.
            Troy E.

Comment

• lobster68w
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Dec 2008

I bet ol' Lucy is just salivating at the chance to start putting out press releases and pushing for more funding so they can tackle all those "dangerous" caves even more now. There is nothing the DOGM won't try and get their hands on.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• RockRacer
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Dec 2008

So KSL says he's "on the verge of freedom" and SL Tribune says he's free.
                Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• Mark1955
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Dec 2008

People can get stuck in this cave over and over, but mines are soooo much more dangerous.
                  I kindly disagree! Either is as dangerous as you want to make it...

Comment

• Derek
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mark1955
                    People can get stuck in this cave over and over, but mines are soooo much more dangerous.
                    I kindly disagree! Either is as dangerous as you want to make it...
                    I think he was being sarcastic.
                    -Derek
                    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• RockRacer
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RockRacer
                      So KSL says he's "on the verge of freedom" and SL Tribune says he's free.
                      Silly Trib! He was never free!
                      Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• Danb
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Sep 2009

All,

I hope this guy gets out OK. I think DOGM, BLM and others will use this to try to close more places. And as explorers we need to make sure we take all precautions to stay off the 10:00PM news. I think eveyone here knows this, but we must make sure all equiptment, property access etc. is good to go. I spent weeks preparing for the King David Mine and weeks preparing for the Hidden Treasure Mine. And in my view the prep phase is a big part of the fun.

Danb
                        We do it underground and under water.
                        Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• CaverStretch
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Miner
                          • Oct 2008

Been on the phone with some of the rescue people out there. Latest report is...he's going to die. They just can't get him out. He is stuck in a small crawl so far back that the rescue teams have just been able to reach his feet. They have been talking to him. Last I heard there is no pulse in his legs.

This is off the record. But they have a saw down there. My friend noticed the saw and didn't really think anything about it. Later this person asked what the saw was for.

As a last resort they are going to cut his legs off to get him out.

I really hope it doesn't come to that. But in the end, and as sad as it makes me, I think they will be doing a body recovery.

I feel sad for his wife, who is expecting their second child. And his mom and dad that have been waiting on the surface to hear good news. Only to find their is none.

Hopefully things will get better over night. But this man needs a miracle to get out.
                          Robert Cranney
                          Mojave Mine Team
                          The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."

Comment

• RockRacer
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Outlaw
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by CaverStretch
                            Been on the phone with some of the rescue people out there. Latest report is...he's going to die. They just can't get him out. He is stuck in a small crawl so far back that the rescue teams have just been able to reach his feet. They have been talking to him. Last I heard there is no pulse in his legs.

This is off the record. But they have a saw down there. My friend noticed the saw and didn't really think anything about it. Later this person asked what the saw was for.

As a last resort they are going to cut his legs off to get him out.

I really hope it doesn't come to that. But in the end, and as sad as it makes me, I think they will be doing a body recovery.

I feel sad for his wife, who is expecting their second child. And his mom and dad that have been waiting on the surface to hear good news. Only to find their is none.

Hopefully things will get better over night. But this man needs a miracle to get out.
                            Huge bummer man! Almost makes me sick to my stomach. I hope they get him free! And on Thanksgiving too! I wish there was something we could do. I would go out there right now.
                            Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• RockRacer
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Outlaw
                              • Dec 2008

KSL UPDATE:

KSL UPDATE:

"UTAH COUNTY -- After being trapped in the Nutty Putty Caves for more than 27 hours, John Jones died Thursday morning, shortly after midnight.

Efforts to pull him from the cave were continuing when he passed away. The exact cause of his death is uncertain at this time, though Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. said Jones had had trouble maintaining consciousness and breathing Wednesday night.

Crews will continue extricate his body from the cave, but it is likely to take several more hours.

Wednesday evening, rescue crews suffered a setback after nearly having Jones free."

Cannon said Wednesday, "They had him to a level spot where he wasn't heading downhill with his head below his feet. During the course of that, they have a raising system to hold him in position, and one of the devices of that system failed, and Mr. Jones actually fell back to the area where he had been stuck for so long.

Jones became trapped at about 9 p.m. Tuesday.
                              "
                              Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

Working...