X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KDT1970
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Sep 2009

YES, you can carry open or concealed if you have a permit, and you can carry fully loaded both ways too. The 2 sites I have in the other post is a wealth of information.
    It would be like saying you could no longer walk once you get your driver’s license.
    (THIS IS FOR UTAH ONLY. I DONT KNOW ABOUT OTHER STATES)

Comment

• Dino
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Jan 2009

Thanks for the information KDT1970. I'll also look into the organizational links you provided. It's unfortunate that a law, such as the one you've shared with us, exists for nothing other than to criminalize the citizens of this country for doing something afforded them by our constitution. What I find interesting is the vagueness of "dangerous weapon" when, in my mind, a gun isn't nearly as dangerous as an individuals desire and cunning. It seems all too often society wants to blame the gun instead of the person wielding it.

Comment

• KDT1970
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Sep 2009

Well I do know that they are trying to pass for the 2011 session on the hill, a bill to allow Constitutional Carry. Like what Arizona just did.

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by KDT1970
          You can carry fully loaded openly with a concealed carry permit.
          Carrying open or concealed is a long time debate and I think it depends on how the person carrying prefers to do it. Open carrying has been proven to actually deter crime.
          I generally open carry when I'm out exploring. Being a female out in the middle of nowhere, it just seems to make sense to me. Hopefully it will keep some creep from getting a bad idea, or if he does, that I'm going to give him a first class fight. I pray that I never have to unholster my firearm to protect myself, but I will use it if I have to. My dad always told me, "If you are going to carry a gun, you better be willing to pull the trigger if you have to. Don't carry it if you can't." Good advice...

I practice regularly and am a good shot. When I qualified for my permit, the instructor took my target in and showed the rest of the instructors. That made me feel pretty good. I would love to take a defensive shooting course to develop dynamic shooting skills rather than the static skills I practice at the range.

Joanne
          Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• KDT1970
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Sep 2009

76-10-523. Persons exempt from weapons laws.
            (1) This part and Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, do not apply to any of the following:
            (a) a United States marshal;
            (b) a federal official required to carry a firearm;
            (c) a peace officer of this or any other jurisdiction;
            (d) a law enforcement official as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
            (e) a judge as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711;
            (f) a common carrier while engaged in the regular and ordinary transport of firearms as merchandise; or
            (g) a nonresident traveling in or through the state, provided that any firearm is:
            (i) unloaded; and
            (ii) securely encased as defined in Section 76-10-501.
            (2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1) and (2), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued: (a) pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
            (b) by another state or county.

Comment

• ExpUt
              True Mojave
              • Jul 2008

Dino, I can appreciate your desire to stay 'off the books' as much as possible with our often overzealous government, particulary on the subjects of guns and taxes.

My experiences with a CCP and law enforcement officers has been nothing but positive, in fact almost as if it were better because I had the CCP. Look at it from their perspective. You could be concealing an illegal weapon, and if you are knowingly breaking the law your most likely involved in other crimes and could be dangerous. OR, you are a legal CCP holder which means you've passed the continual background check and taken formal training on concealing your weapon. The few times I have been pulled over and asked if I am 'carrying' it was just that, a simple question with a simple yes or no answer, never anything more than that and their demeanor almost was more 'accomodating' after they find out dead beat felon with a meth problem. Make sense?

I too think its wildly odd that we have to get a permit to enjoy our rights as a Americans. Then again lets at least be glad the State of Utah respects that right at all as so many don't allow it at all.
              Kurt Williams
              CruiserOutfitters.com
              ExpeditionUtah.com
              MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Dino
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Jan 2009

Thanks Kurt for the input. I'm sure my feelings on the CCP are probably unwarranted. Everyone I've talked to that has a CCP has also had good experiences with law enforcement as well. Maybe I should revisit my application and class certificate to see if it's still okay to submit.

Comment

• KDT1970
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Sep 2009

You can submit it up to one year from the date by the instructors signature.

Comment

• Stuart
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

I can also agree with what Kurt said, I have had nothing put positive responses to my permit with regards to being questioned by law enforcement.
                    -Stuart Burgess
                    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                    Burgess Exploration LLC
                    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

Working...