X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dawn_CL
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Nov 2009

Hi, I really dont wish to upgrade my system as im comfortable of how it is already. Im quite used to Win2000 as ive had it for years. Plus i dont really want to put the money into a whole new computer which i really dont see the need for. My computer would have to be bought new in order to be upgraded because the MB doesnt support anything newer than that. I really dont see the need in updating.
    Dawn

Comment

• Jeff
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Nov 2008

No offense intended at all Dawn but unfortunately you will have to upgrade your system someday as the majority of users has had too as well. Technology waits for none of us sadly.
      Jeff
      Mojave Mine Team
      Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• Therrin
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jan 2011

Yeah, computers wait for no man (or...woman).

I rebuild mine in pieces and parts at a time. which is fine till you get to where I'm at now, needing a new motherboard so I can put in not only a faster CPU, but several of them, AND new hdd's, AND new optical drives, AND other stuff....

I seem to have gotten backlogged on my upgrades. Doh!
        I don't see it happening any time soon. Like Dawn, I think this box will end up running until; it doesn't anymore
        Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
        TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Therrin
          Yeah, computers wait for no man (or...woman).

I rebuild mine in pieces and parts at a time. which is fine till you get to where I'm at now, needing a new motherboard so I can put in not only a faster CPU, but several of them, AND new hdd's, AND new optical drives, AND other stuff....

I seem to have gotten backlogged on my upgrades. Doh!
          I don't see it happening any time soon. Like Dawn, I think this box will end up running until; it doesn't anymore
          About a month ago I lost the motherboard on my old & rebuilt PC. I finally had to throw in the towel with that machine. I picked up a used Dell and stuck my hard drive in it. Worked like a champ. I've upgraded to Win 7 so I'll be OK for a while.

Joanne
          Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Dawn_CL
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Nov 2009

Exactly my point Therrin.
            Dawn

Comment

• miner49r
              Mojave Child
              • Mar 2011

I'm the new guy here, but I was amazed with this forum site. If the new software is easier to maintain, then great. But, this is an amazing resource. Thanks to the admin team for all they've done!

Comment

• Mike
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

$350 will custom build a brand new, state of the art machine with technology that hasn't been out more than a few months. Ya'll need to shop on newegg.com and put components in yourself. A good mobo that runs Windows 7, along with a fast dual core CPU, can be had for under $150 if you shop wisely. Going with name brands or local shops mark-up the prices 300-500%.

In this technological world, if you don't move along with it, you get left behind. Thats just the way it is.
                -Fish
                Mojave Mine Team
                MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Joanne
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jul 2009

I must be a luddite! Within bounds of reason I'm about content not presentation. As long as a site provides adequate functionality I don't care about all of the bells and whistles. I have a pretty good feel for the amount of work that went into setting up the existing website. The custom graphics alone account for a LOT of hours. Well done guys!!

All this said, I will do my part and make a contribution to the "overhaul fund".

Joanne
                  Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Therrin
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Jan 2011

RE: What Mike said

That's true, they can be had for pretty cheap these days. I think people get attached to their machines though; the old "if it's not broke, don't fix it". I've yet to be actually limited in what I want to do with my system (except for perhaps a larger hard drive).

I don't think I'd ever purchase a $150-$350 computer system. Yeah, it's all the pieces basically, but there's a cost vs. performance issue that just doesn't match up at those levels.
                    I've never "purchased" an off the shelf system before. I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that *shudders*

I actually agree with everything Joanne said, but unfortunately like Kiel pointed out, when you're trying to serve a large audience base, you'll have lots of folks who get hung up on the presentation aspect.
                    The forum upgrades also boost your security parameters too, which is a godsend over the older stuff.

I'll put in $20 =)
                    Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
                    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• Mike
                      Administrator
                      True Mojave
                      • Sep 2007

You'd be surprised what $350 can get you. All my workstations for my company I build for $350 shipped. Thats a Core i3 Dual Core 3.1GHz Sandy Bridge CPU, Sandy Bridge Motherboard, 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3, 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache HDD, a DVD Burner, a 450-watt PSU, and a sleek Mid Tower case to fit it all into. Its all how smart you are in purchasing components. Price the same thing out at Dell and your looking at around $600-$700.

ASRock H61M-S LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $64.99

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32100 $124.99

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive $49.95

LOGISYS Computer PS575XBK 575W ATX12V SLI Ready Power Supply $26.99

WINTEC AMPO 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 3AMD31333-4G-R $39.99

SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223C $17.99

GIGABYTE GZ-P5HA3W Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ black interior Tower $29.99

Grand Total - $354

On top of that, you can use your old case and DVD drive and save another $40-$50.
                      -Fish
                      Mojave Mine Team
                      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mike
                        Administrator
                        True Mojave
                        • Sep 2007

Joanne - Thank you so much for your generous donation. Our Gold Sponsor for sure.

Thank you everybody who helped donate. Over the next few days I'll be deploying the software and hopefully we can have something even better here soon!
                        -Fish
                        Mojave Mine Team
                        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

Working...