Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norman Johnson
    Mojave Child
    • Mar 2011

Actually, to be fair, avalanche deaths can only be compared to mine deaths when you factor in the number of people who do both activities. Many things we do are inherently dangerous, but experience and training---gun training, driver's ed, operating a table saw, etc, can greatly reduce the incidence of injury and even accident.

Common sense can replace experience, but knowledge is the key. Has anybody written any books on western mine exploration safety?

NJ
    "I got four things to live by: Don't say nothing that will hurt anybody. Don't give advice--nobody will take it anyway. Don't complain. Don't explain." Death Valley Scotty Walter Scott 1872-1954

Comment

• rhartill
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

Has anyone written any books on mine exploration safety?

Until Stuart and Mike and Miah and the MMT sit down to write one, these will have to suffice:

Mine safety stuff on scribd and elsewhere:

from the NPS website, a brief class handout on underground mine safety procedures, dated 2003

BoM 1994 hazard eval handbook and abandoned mine land inventory handbook:

This was only issued in draft form, as within 2 years the Bureau of Mines was defunded by Congress. ABANDONED MINE LAND INVENTORY HAZARD EVALUATION HANDBOOK Staff, U.S. Bureau of Mines May 1994 In September of 1995, Congress voted to close the Bureau of Mines and to transfer certain functions to other Federal agencies. With USBM's closure, almost $100 million, or 66%, of its 1995 programs ceased, and approximately 1,000 of its employees were dismissed. Certain specific health, safety, and materials programs were transferred to the Department of Energy, and certain minerals information activities moved to the U.S. Geological Survey and the Bureau of Land Management. Closure of the Bureau of Mines, and the accompanying transfers of functions and employee layoffs were essentially complete in March of 1996. The Bureau's Minerals Information functions are being transferred to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in early 1996. The "Mineral Industry Surveys," "Mineral Commodity Summaries," and the "Minerals Yearbook" will continue to be published.

PDAC and others in Canada have excellent workbooks on mine exploration safety

Access is behind a firewall that requires a user login. (Registration is free)

A 220 page guide to mine exploration safety from our friends up north (The Yukon):

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

Great stuff in both posts Russ, you bring up some very valid points.
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Stuart
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Wow, yes you make some very good points Russ. If you will be able to attend our meeting this month, keep these points in mind and we should discuss them.

A book on mine exploration safety, that sounds like a good project. I think we could write one geared towards the average Joe that is easy to read and entertaining. I have been considering writing a book on our adventures, perhaps I could integrate a safety guide?
          -Stuart Burgess
          Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
          Burgess Exploration LLC
          http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
          Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• one_bad_rover

Good stuff to add there Russ, and SanPet. You are correct, the federal agencies dont really give a shit about the people, but thats more reason to step up and fight for what you believe in. No one ever got anything (except for a govt. check) from sitting back and waiting for things to go their way.

Comment

• sanpet
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Mar 2011

Correy I know you have your problems with the BLM. I have problems with them to. But my biggest problem is with the FS.

Comment

• ExpUt
                True Mojave
                • Jul 2008

The Crandall Canyon situation continues...

Crandall Canyon mine disaster fades from view as probe drags on
                Kurt Williams
                CruiserOutfitters.com
                ExpeditionUtah.com
                MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...