• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Copperleaf today, who knows what is next... Not Utah County is on the case:

Student injuries prompt Utah County to consider safety of other mines
    Utah County commissioners announced earlier this week that a mine shaft in Utah County where a dozen people were burned nearly two weeks ago will be sealed. Now the commission is looking the safety of similar mines throughout the county.
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• lobster68w
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Dec 2008

I bet Luci Malin has been frothing at the mouth ever since this happened.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

Honestly I actually think the DOGM is on our side on this one. It is much cheaper and more efficient to grate most shafts as apposed to throwing millions of cubic feet down them....
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• UnderUtah
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jun 2008

Interesting. I haven't heard anything more about this "backfilling" but a little quick calculation tells be for a shaft 1235' deep, and an estimated 10' x 12', the amount of material that they would have to dump down it would be approximately 5,488 cubic yards. A standard single dump truck holds about 12 yards, so that's a mere 457 dump truck loads of material.

Last time I had topsoil delivered it cost $120.00 per load, so does that mean that $54.840.00 was spent by SOMEONE to close this deadly and menacing mine? Perhaps we should lobby for funding for the alleged 17,000 gaping chasms that the state claims need to be obliterated to save the public from themselves. We should ask for oh, say $932,280,000.00 to cover the now $54K price tag per mine for closure. Crazy.

I will be in the area next week - perhaps I will go take a look at the work they've done and post anything I can legally see. Perhaps I should call the land owner and get permission first, to avoid any threat of terrorism charges.
          Miah
          Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• ghostwanderer
            Mojave Teen
            • Jan 2011

i was there last week looked past the fence and saw 4 piles of dirt 10 ft high a track loader 5 i beams 50 ft long i think their gonna use em as a cork
            matthew zabriskie

Comment

• Ossyconno
              Mojave Teen
              • Jun 2010

Not only the original fill but as the material goes through the process of self consolidation over the next 3 to 4 years (depending on whether the material is native or engineered fill) they will be adding up to another 500 +/- cubic yards.
              That is of course they don't hoist some poor lad down the shaft with a wacker to compact each 1' lifts.

Speaking of the area. Has anyone slipped in and investigated the Colorado #2 250' level haulage tunnel just south of the still standing ore bin midway between the Beck tunnel and the Minnie Moore adit that leads to the Colorado #1 300' level workings?
              I was planning on going this weekend to crawl in the now exposed opening and check it out. I stuck my head in the opening a month ago but could not see much with the lighting Eq. I had with me at the time.

Just wondering if it is worth my time. I have spent close to 30 hours doing research inside the Colorado #1. I have also been looking for the drift that links to the Sioux works and hope it may be on the 250' level.

I was working in Spanish Fork Canyon installing 96" water line down the canyon last year and I would drive out everyday after work and some weekends if I did not go home and hiked all over Tintic researching it all out. Even had a chance meeting with Stuart and Crystal at the Beck Shaft when I was coming down from the Humbug.

Anyway, moving on now, I was returning back to Spanish Fork on night after seeing the Eagle Bluebell and stopped at the Copper Leaf and there was a bunch of kids there fire bombing the shaft. It was not very pretty. I am surprised no one was burned that night the way they were playing with the fuel. Stupid is as stupid does I guess...

Comment

• ghostwanderer
                Mojave Teen
                • Jan 2011

i was at the copperleaf shaft with my grandparents and cousin showing them how wide the shaft really was and 3 trucks pulled up with 20 scouts and 2 leaders who found a jug of yellow fluid they thought was gas and proceeded to try and use it to firebomb the shaft what that jug really had in was urine as they found out the hard way you would think that scouts would be smarter but they are not at least this derp squad was not
                matthew zabriskie

Comment

• lobster68w
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Ossyconno
                  Not only the original fill but as the material goes through the process of self consolidation over the next 3 to 4 years (depending on whether the material is native or engineered fill) they will be adding up to another 500 +/- cubic yards.
                  That is of course they don't hoist some poor lad down the shaft with a wacker to compact each 1' lifts.

Speaking of the area. Has anyone slipped in and investigated the Colorado #2 250' level haulage tunnel just south of the still standing ore bin midway between the Beck tunnel and the Minnie Moore adit that leads to the Colorado #1 300' level workings?
                  I was planning on going this weekend to crawl in the now exposed opening and check it out. I stuck my head in the opening a month ago but could not see much with the lighting Eq. I had with me at the time.

Just wondering if it is worth my time. I have spent close to 30 hours doing research inside the Colorado #1. I have also been looking for the drift that links to the Sioux works and hope it may be on the 250' level.

I know what you are talking about, but not sure how far it goes in. I've been too it, but ran out of time to go in and check it out. I've been in the Minnie Moore many times and still have yet to figure out where all that air is coming from.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Ossyconno
                    Mojave Teen
                    • Jun 2010

Can't say for sure if it is or isn't. But it is possible that just west and up the hill 260' from the Minnie Moore entrance the excavation is a ventilation shaft for the Minnie Moore and the air is coming through the enforcing timbers a couple hundred feet in. We were going to drop a dyed smoke bomb down the excavation but have yet to do so.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• lobster68w
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Miner
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Ossyconno
                      Can't say for sure if it is or isn't. But it is possible that just west and up the hill 260' from the Minnie Moore entrance the excavation is a ventilation shaft for the Minnie Moore and the air is coming through the enforcing timbers a couple hundred feet in. We were going to drop a dyed smoke bomb down the excavation but have yet to do so.

A smoke bomb would be an awesome idea!! I carry babypowder and it seems to work OK in figuring out air movement. I know the timbered area you're talking about. We poked around it quite a bit but didn't see anything obvious. I'm really curious as to how much workings are down that small shaft. Stuart??

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

Working...