SL Trib: BYU students, others burned while firebombing mine shaft

Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com
  • Rubyredvet
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Sep 2010

Idiots, now there will be more calls to close up all mine shafts.

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Saw that yesterday. Good old BYU kids. How do 12 people get burnt from gasoline? Stu and I have been lighting gas since we were kids and never been burnt once...
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• UnderUtah
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jun 2008

BYU students never cease to amaze. They turned the rebar grating into a giant human BBQ. Some of those "sweet spirited" sisters obviously couldn't get their cankles out of the grating fast enough once the fire was lit. Unreal.
        Miah
        Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• KDT1970
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Sep 2009

Can you only imagine being a mile or two into a mine, smell gasoline and all of a sudden, from above comes a fire ball. I say those idiots got exactly what they deserved.

Comment

• Joanne
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2009

I've always said, "Intelligence has its limits, but stupidity knows no bounds."

On the other hand I remember being young and stupid. Now I'm old and ...... well never mind. Click image for larger version

Name:	econ_rollingeyes.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	11325

Joanne
            Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• ExpUt
              True Mojave
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Rubyredvet
              Idiots, now there will be more calls to close up all mine shafts.
              Yup, the DOGM was already spinning it in that direction. Commenters on the new article were asking why this mine was left grated instead of sealed up completely.
              Kurt Williams
              CruiserOutfitters.com
              ExpeditionUtah.com
              MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Dino
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Jan 2009

Are you kidding me!

I read this story online and thought to myself who would attempt to do something this stupid in an area that could potentially start a wildfire. Imagine if that mine had a bunch of crib sets in it and these idiots lit it on fire. Sometimes people don't realize that even though a mine is underground it doesn't mean there isn't flammable materials in it. Mine fires were always a constant threat to the livelihood of miners and there actually have been excellent reports that have come out of the Eureka, UT Tintic District explaining how to mitigate the risks. I hope these BYU students find out the mine they were burning up isn't abandoned and they get sued for the damage they may have caused on top of the felony charges they're facing. It's obvious the DOGM and BLM can't monitor all of the sites out there which is exactly why they should embrace groups like MU who would never condone this kind of reckless behaviour.

Comment

• RockRacer
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Dec 2008

I first saw this on the news, then found an article KSL which features a video of the action shot by one of the participants. This one appears to be an update:
                  Some of the four college students most seriously injured while throwing Molotov cocktails down an abandoned mine shaft reportedly suffered second- and third-degree burns on their legs, arms and faces.

This kind of BS kills MU's cause. These morons piss me off.
                  Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• Dino
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Cowboy
                    • Jan 2009

Morons

After watching the video I was even more disgusted. I hope the judge throws the book at these yahoos!

Comment

• ExpUt
                      True Mojave
                      • Jul 2008

Boo!

Crews sealing mine shaft where students were injured

July 27th, 2011 @ 9:42am
                      By ksl.com

PROVO, Utah (AP) -- Officials say they'll be sealing a 1,200 foot deep mine shaft where several Brigham Young University students were burned earlier this month playing with homemade gasoline bombs.
                      Al McKee of Ophir Minerals & Aggregate Group tells the Daily Herald his company plans to start collapsing and burying the hole this week. The work should be finished by the end of the week.
                      McKee says the site is now under 24-hour surveillance.
                      Six college students were treated for burns after they reportedly spilled a cooler of fuel into the abandoned mine shaft July 16 and it caught fire.
                      The shaft is in a remote area of Utah about 80 miles south of Salt Lake City. It had gained notoriety through YouTube videos showing people dropping fire bombs down the hole then exploding.
                      (Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

An abandoned mine shaft where a dozen BYU students were hurt earlier this month will be sealed shut.

Kurt Williams
                      CruiserOutfitters.com
                      ExpeditionUtah.com
                      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• acidman1968
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by ExpUt
                        Boo!

Crews sealing mine shaft where students were injured

July 27th, 2011 @ 9:42am
                        By ksl.com

PROVO, Utah (AP) -- Officials say they'll be sealing a 1,200 foot deep mine shaft where several Brigham Young University students were burned earlier this month playing with homemade gasoline bombs.
                        Al McKee of Ophir Minerals & Aggregate Group tells the Daily Herald his company plans to start collapsing and burying the hole this week. The work should be finished by the end of the week.
                        McKee says the site is now under 24-hour surveillance.
                        Six college students were treated for burns after they reportedly spilled a cooler of fuel into the abandoned mine shaft July 16 and it caught fire.
                        The shaft is in a remote area of Utah about 80 miles south of Salt Lake City. It had gained notoriety through YouTube videos showing people dropping fire bombs down the hole then exploding.
                        (Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

An abandoned mine shaft where a dozen BYU students were hurt earlier this month will be sealed shut.

...and now they'll just move to another abandoned and grated over mineshaft and destroy that one by firebombing it. Unfortunately, someone will probably firebomb one I know of that appears to be wood-lined all the way down - roughly 700 feet. They'll destroy the wood lining for their stupid antics.
                        I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Ossyconno
                          Mojave Teen
                          • Jun 2010

Would this shaft be the Copper Leaf? Does anyone by chance have plates of the workings? I hope somebody has dropped a camera down the shaft and at least has a recording of the working levels.

Comment

• lobster68w
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Miner
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Ossyconno
                            Would this shaft be the Copper Leaf? Does anyone by chance have plates of the workings? I hope somebody has dropped a camera down the shaft and at least has a recording of the working levels.

Yes, this is the Copper Leaf. Last summer MU dropped a camera down to the bottom. Apparently there was just alot of garbage.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Stuart
                              Administrator
                              True Mojave
                              • Sep 2007

Idiots

I'd love to see this same "seal it up!" mentality apply to every other situation where dumb ass college kids hurt themselves. Its already worked in Nutty Putty and now the Copper Leaf. I'd like to see them collapse and bury rock canyon and the Marriot center next, while we are at it let them bury LaVell Edwards stadium.

The mine is already grated, why collapse the whole 1200 feet? This is just ridiculous.
                              -Stuart Burgess
                              Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                              Burgess Exploration LLC
                              http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                              Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

Working...