X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therrin
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jan 2011

I actually have one of those Pelican cases here at home. They aren't little at all. Even for its small size its very bulky. I'm going to keep looking around and see if I can find some smallish plastic boxy thing that I can fit 3 or 4 cells in that will JUST hold them, and maybe I can install a switch in because that headlamp no longer has a switch. I plug or unplug the molex to turn it on or off. I may use an in-line switch and just ziptie it to the side of the helmet air vents.

I was actually looking on hobbyking for a couple hours last night. The Turnigy 6 seems to be the best charger for what we're doing. The menu functions appear a little daunting, do you find it relatively easy to work with?
    I'll look at some of the other chargers tonight as well.

I'm waiting to make an order from them. Gonna get some large shrink tube for doing packs, some connectors, a charger, and some AA rechargeables to use with my other headlamp on my helmet. (same style headlamp). The Turnigy 6 will charge both NiMh and Li-ions... so that's cool at least.

Remind me next time before I see you and I'll bring you a handful of 18650's you can use, I've only used or given away about 14 out of the 60 I have.

**EDIT**

So, I've been looking at the iCharger 106B, it does most of the things the Turnigy 6 does the same. Except the PC compatibility is by USB, and it can charge at a higher amp rating. (10A), but.. is still limited to 6 cells of li-ion. And I *think* that means in series...not in parallel. If it'll charge at 10A, and you have 6 li-ions in parallel, @ 2400mAh each, that'd be 14.4Ah, which you'd only need 7.2A to 11.52A to charge. So it still fits within that range. (@ 0.5 to 0.8C charging rate)

Still, it's $80 vs $25, and the "balancing" feature I was giving to think takes place in charging Series cells. Does it work the same for parallel cells? ??
    Last edited by Therrin; 02-10-2012, 02:25 AM.
    Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Therrin
      I actually have one of those Pelican cases here at home. They aren't little at all. Even for its small size its very bulky. I'm going to keep looking around and see if I can find some smallish plastic boxy thing that I can fit 3 or 4 cells in that will JUST hold them, and maybe I can install a switch in because that headlamp no longer has a switch. I plug or unplug the molex to turn it on or off. I may use an in-line switch and just ziptie it to the side of the helmet air vents.

I was actually looking on hobbyking for a couple hours last night. The Turnigy 6 seems to be the best charger for what we're doing. The menu functions appear a little daunting, do you find it relatively easy to work with?
      I'll look at some of the other chargers tonight as well.

I'm waiting to make an order from them. Gonna get some large shrink tube for doing packs, some connectors, a charger, and some AA rechargeables to use with my other headlamp on my helmet. (same style headlamp). The Turnigy 6 will charge both NiMh and Li-ions... so that's cool at least.

Remind me next time before I see you and I'll bring you a handful of 18650's you can use, I've only used or given away about 14 out of the 60 I have.

**EDIT**

So, I've been looking at the iCharger 106B, it does most of the things the Turnigy 6 does the same. Except the PC compatibility is by USB, and it can charge at a higher amp rating. (10A), but.. is still limited to 6 cells of li-ion. And I *think* that means in series...not in parallel. If it'll charge at 10A, and you have 6 li-ions in parallel, @ 2400mAh each, that'd be 14.4Ah, which you'd only need 7.2A to 11.52A to charge. So it still fits within that range. (@ 0.5 to 0.8C charging rate)

Still, it's $80 vs $25, and the "balancing" feature I was giving to think takes place in charging Series cells. Does it work the same for parallel cells? ??
      Here's a link to a manual for the Turnegy 6 http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/P...ual%282%29.pdf The manual doesn't make it sound easy, but once you have used it for a while it's not too complicated.

As I understand it, the balancing feature is only used on series packs. Of course you have to build the pack (or buy it) wired for balancing charging.

You may want to look at XT-60 connectors when if you order from Hobby King. It's the same connector that comes with the charger so you can solder up your own leads to meet your needs. Also, Tony and a few of the other builders have started moving away from Deans connectors towards the XT-60. They are more protected with the hooded connector, and they will stand up to an insane number of amps. (like 75!!)

Have a great time this weekend!

Joanne
      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Therrin
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jan 2011

So... I bought:
        A Turnigy 6 charger
        Cig lighter adapter for the charger
        8 rechargeable NiMh AA's
        2 sets of the XT60 connectors (10 connectors)
        XT60 harness for 2 packs in parallel
        2 battery velcro straps
        Turnigy Shrink wrap in:
        2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 20mm, 50mm, 100mm each 1 meter long

Then today at Home Depot I picked up a big pack of 10" zip ties, spray can of liquid electrical tape, and a can of Plasti-Dip.

It's ALMOST as though I'm gonna be making up some battery packs.
        Using the 1S2/3/4P packs from batteryspace.com which are hard plastic holders and have built in protection circuits, I'm going to make some packs and tape/shrink wrap them and dip them.

Then at the very least I wont look like I have a bomb strapped to my head.

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Therrin
          So... I bought:
          A Turnigy 6 charger
          Cig lighter adapter for the charger
          8 rechargeable NiMh AA's
          2 sets of the XT60 connectors (10 connectors)
          XT60 harness for 2 packs in parallel
          2 battery velcro straps
          Turnigy Shrink wrap in:
          2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 20mm, 50mm, 100mm each 1 meter long

Then today at Home Depot I picked up a big pack of 10" zip ties, spray can of liquid electrical tape, and a can of Plasti-Dip.

It's ALMOST as though I'm gonna be making up some battery packs.
          Using the 1S2/3/4P packs from batteryspace.com which are hard plastic holders and have built in protection circuits, I'm going to make some packs and tape/shrink wrap them and dip them.

Then at the very least I wont look like I have a bomb strapped to my head.
          Wow, nice order! Yeah, if someone were planning to make up battery packs they would probably order those exact items. Knowing that you are NOT planning to, it's an amazing coincidence!

I read that you are heading out to Tecopa this weekend (you are probably there now), so have a GREAT time! Post a trip report here when you get back. We all enjoy hearing about everyone's mining trips.

Joanne
          Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Therrin
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Jan 2011

Oh I *AM* planning on making packs. I just want to add some kind of a stiff plastic shield to wrap around them somewhere in the process.

Our previous messages on here, and the fact that I want to switch purely to rechargeables and get away from alkaline primaries kinda pushed me in the direction of making all the packs I think I'll want. I want to do some 1S3P and 1S4P packs.
            My current "jihad helmet bomb" pack is unprotected and getting pretty low after a long run. I think the discharge curve on it is a little steeper than I originally thought.

Also, I need a bigger can of plastidip. The one I got at the hardware store is only about 3" or so in diameter.

Comment

• Therrin
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Jan 2011

So, my package from Hong Kong has been sitting in Customs for most of the last two weeks. I'll finally be picking it up in... 2 hrs. =)

Hopefully I'll get something produced before my trip tomorrow!

Comment

Working...