• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Interesting light - Your thoughts?

Hi all,

I was just reading a thread on the candlepowerforums site and someone suggested the Streamlight Sidewinder light for a young man deploying in the Army. When I looked at the light I was intrigued that this might be a nice auxiliary light for camping and mine exploring. It comes in two formats, a compact that runs on a single CR123A and a tilting head model that runs on two AA batteries.

It is on an Army approved list and looks like it would take what we normally throw at a light. I certainly don't need any more lights, but this one has caught my eye. I think one in the glove box of my truck would be the ideal emergency light.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • lobster68w
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Dec 2008

I own two lights that are powered by CR123's. Never again. They just are too expensive. I've gotten to the point where my headlamps are great for 90% of the time, and I carry a cheap plastic Coleman that is very bright if I need some extra umph. Also, after being in the army for 5 years, I don't put too much faith into anything that is milspec.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Mike369
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Sep 2010

I was issued these while I was in the Marines, both the AA model and cr123. It is a great light and very tough. We drove over one with an LAV (15 tons) and it still worked. But I don't think that it is a good light for what we do. It is not very bright when compared to other similar sized lights. The function I used most on it was the IR light and that has no use to us as mine explorers. I did like the fact that you could clip it on you gear and angle the head so that you can work with your hands and still have light but I have a headlamp for that kind of stuff underground. The compact cr123 comes with a helmet mount but it is even less bright than the AA model and is not very easy to get aimed properly. Again the function I used was the IR strobe so others with NVGs could see us. All in all they are both great lights and I used both quite a bit in the Marines but there are better lights more suited to us out there.

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

I certainly understand the issue with CR123A lights. The battery cost really adds up if you use your light on a regular basis.

I wasn't thinking of this light as a primary or even a back-up, but rather a convenient light that I could use as I set up my camera underground and fiddle with the settings. I wouldn't have to try to hold my hand held and my new headlamp is really too bright for that kind of use. I just found this one interesting and it looked sturdy.

I have also looked at a Zebra light to clip on when I want to be hands free, but not use my headlamp.

Of course maybe I am just making up scenarios to justify buying another light....

Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• ryan162
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Feb 2009

Its got an old under powered LED and is plastic. I see it overseas a lot on clearance. At full price its overpriced. It is a neat light though...I would have to give it that.
          JoAnne Have you seen http://budgetlightforum.com ? I have been lurking on there alot more then CPF these days. Lots of good ideas from them!

Comment

• Joanne
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ryan162
            Its got an old under powered LED and is plastic. I see it overseas a lot on clearance. At full price its overpriced. It is a neat light though...I would have to give it that.
            JoAnne Have you seen http://budgetlightforum.com ? I have been lurking on there alot more then CPF these days. Lots of good ideas from them!
            Thanks for the link to the budget light forum! I'm sure I'll be spending some time lurking there as well. It looks like a good group.

I've posted a few mine exploring photos over on CP as an example of how important it is to have a reliable headlamp or flashlight. A lot of them are really surprised at our underground adventures, especially the vertical stuff.

Joanne

Comment

• sanpet
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Mar 2011

Mike 369 simper-fi gg young sgt. Of marines 1964-71

Comment

• Therrin
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Jan 2011

Not sure what the internals are, but if it'll handle a RCR123 without blowing anything out that may be an option for those who find CR123 batteries to be too expensive.

CR123 = 3v
                RCR123 = 4.2V, but is rechargeable.

If it runs on 2xAA or CR123 then either way it's 3v, but perhaps might handle the 4.2v.

Just a thought.
                Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
                TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• Joanne
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jul 2009

After spending some time on BudgetLightForum (thanks Ryan) I ended up buying two SolarForce L2P bodies with XML based P60 drop-ins. The light runs on a 18650 rechargeable battery. I have a "hobby charger" that runs off of my truck battery to charge my headlamp packs as well as these individual 18650 cells, so it's ideal for my use in the field.

I am thinking of picking up an Ultrafire UF-H3D headlamp for around camp. http://budgetlightforum.com/node/1074 I probably would not use it as a headlamp but clip it onto my shirt. It might be a good light to drop in my purse for emergencies.

Joanne

Comment

• Therrin
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Jan 2011

After spending some time on BudgetLightForum (thanks Ryan) I ended up buying two SolarForce L2P bodies with XML based P60 drop-ins. The light runs on a 18650 rechargeable battery. I have a "hobby charger" that runs off of my truck battery to charge my headlamp packs as well as these individual 18650 cells, so it's ideal for my use in the field.
                    Joanne, that's what I've been using for my primary handheld for almost 2 years now. I originally had an R2-M (SF's LC-1) @ ~200lm, 0.8-4.2v dropin, then early last year upgraded to a Thrunite XML 3-9v dropin that claims ~460lm on high.

I've been super pleased with both the lightbody and the XML dropin.
                    Glad to hear that you've got one!!

I've been using a 1-cell extension tube to run 2x18650 with it. I didn't use to like it that long but I've gotten used to it.
                    I also have 2x16340 (RCR123) that I can use to get my same 8.4v with the shorter body.

Thinking about getting a newer higher amp drawing XML for it now. What's the specs on your dropin?

Comment

• Joanne
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Therrin
                      Joanne, that's what I've been using for my primary handheld for almost 2 years now. I originally had an R2-M (SF's LC-1) @ ~200lm, 0.8-4.2v dropin, then early last year upgraded to a Thrunite XML 3-9v dropin that claims ~460lm on high.

I've been super pleased with both the lightbody and the XML dropin.
                      Glad to hear that you've got one!!

I've been using a 1-cell extension tube to run 2x18650 with it. I didn't use to like it that long but I've gotten used to it.
                      I also have 2x16340 (RCR123) that I can use to get my same 8.4v with the shorter body.

Thinking about getting a newer higher amp drawing XML for it now. What's the specs on your dropin?
                      Hey Ken,

I haven't tried mine underground yet (it just came this week) but it looks promising. I am using this Solarforce dropin. I chose the 3 mode since I don't particularly care for the strobe modes. I really like the idea of being able to upgrade in the future as new LEDs are released. Since it is going to be my "pocket light" I think I will stick with a single cell and keep a spare cell or two in my pack.

For charging I am using a Turnigy Accucel 6 that I purchased from HobbyKing R/C. This charger lets me charge up my headlamp battery packs as well as the individual 18650s for my handheld. At less that $25 bucks it's a great charger.

You may remember my old headlamp and handheld were CR123A based and the battery cost was really starting to add up. My inner cheapskate wasn't happy about it! When I got Tony's headlamp I became an instant convert to rechargeables!

Anyway, we'll chat later!

Joanne

Comment

• Therrin
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Jan 2011

18650's are pretty awesome! =)

I just made a battery pack using two of them. And I'll show the picture, just cuz it looks like something you'd NEVER get through airport security.

It's 4.2V @ 4.8Ah, and after 7 hrs of use with my Fenix HP20 on full high output it had only dropped to 3.5V (unprotected cells). I used the pipe to made them a bit more impact resistant, but it looks hella strange. Paralleled them with crimped terminal ring plugs and short wires, and added in a molex connector to plug it to the headlamp wire.

Cute, huh? =)

Comment

• Joanne
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Jul 2009

18650's are pretty awesome! =)

I just made a battery pack using two of them. And I'll show the picture, just cuz it looks like something you'd NEVER get through airport security.

It's 4.2V @ 4.8Ah, and after 7 hrs of use with my Fenix HP20 on full high output it had only dropped to 3.5V (unprotected cells). I used the pipe to made them a bit more impact resistant, but it looks hella strange. Paralleled them with crimped terminal ring plugs and short wires, and added in a molex connector to plug it to the headlamp wire.

Cute, huh? =)
                          Ken,
                          I love the run time that the 18650s provide! It's nice not having to worry about how long you have been underground and whether you will need to change batteries.

I was going to convert my Princeton Tec Apex Pro lights to 18650s, but I got a couple of lights from Tony so the PTs have been put on stand-by duty. You can see how Tony builds his packs using plastic dip and shrink tube to provide some protection for the cells. It certainly doesn't provide the protection your setup does, but I am comfortable with it. He has also migrated from Deans connectors to XT60 connectors. The XT60s are a bit more rugged than the Deans and will handle more current than any light will ever draw.

Oh yeah, I found some 3v RCR123A batteries at www.lighthound.com that would solve the issue of overvolltage when using 3.6v rechargeables in series. They need to charge at a lower voltage than the 18650s so a special charger would be necessary (or a hobby charger than can be configured for the max voltage.)

Sorry I couldn't make this weekend. It looks like you guys had a GREAT time!

Joanne

Comment

• Therrin
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Miner
                            • Jan 2011

Oooh, awesome stuff!
                            I have been seeing the rechargeable 3v 16340's a lot lately, haven't tried any of them out, but I imagine they'd do nicely with my 3-9V dropin, or my Fenix headlamps that run 6V.

I emailed Tony to ask about purchasing one of his lights and he never responded back. I'm not sure why...

I had considered doing the wrapped-and-dipped packs, they're certainly less bulky than what I'm using right now, I want to find some kind of a hard plastic shroud for them though. Being as tall as I am I tend to bump my head a bit, and not just the front. I'd really hate to puncture a cell or crush a pack. Not even saying it's likely, just... I've come to realize that all the gear I use needs to be Therrin-proofed
                            I'm working on some other pack ideas right now too.
                            I picked up one of these in 1S2P, and I'm prolly gonna get another 1S2P and a 1S3P and 1S4P as well to play with. They're 18650 holders that have protection circuit built into the holder.

Hey quick question Joanne, what made you choose the Turnigy Accucell 6 over the other models??
                            Last edited by Therrin; 02-08-2012, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• Joanne
                              Mojave Outlaw
                              • Jul 2009

Oooh, awesome stuff!
                              I have been seeing the rechargeable 3v 16340's a lot lately, haven't tried any of them out, but I imagine they'd do nicely with my 3-9V dropin, or my Fenix headlamps that run 6V.

I emailed Tony to ask about purchasing one of his lights and he never responded back. I'm not sure why...

I had considered doing the wrapped-and-dipped packs, they're certainly less bulky than what I'm using right now, I want to find some kind of a hard plastic shroud for them though. Being as tall as I am I tend to bump my head a bit, and not just the front. I'd really hate to puncture a cell or crush a pack. Not even saying it's likely, just... I've come to realize that all the gear I use needs to be Therrin-proofed
                              I'm working on some other pack ideas right now too.
                              I picked up one of these in 1S2P, and I'm prolly gonna get another 1S2P and a 1S3P and 1S4P as well to play with. They're 18650 holders that have protection circuit built into the holder.

Hey quick question Joanne, what made you choose the Turnigy Accucell 6 over the other models??
                              So have you thought about using a Pelican case like this one? http://www.rei.com/product/778220/pe...with-carabiner You could probably drill a hole and run the wire in such a way as to keep it waterproof. They are pretty strong so it would take a really hard impact to break it. Plus it opens and closes when you need to.

I don't have a real good reason for buying the Turnigy. It seemed like this was the unit that all of the other "knock off" chargers were copying, so I figured maybe it would have better quality components than the clones. The reviews I read on it indicated that it is a good entry-level hobby charger. There are plenty of more advanced and expensive chargers on the market but this one seems to have a good bang for the buck. Also, it will run directly off my truck battery so I can charge in the field. I'm sure that ability is important to you as well.

One drawback of this charger is that it doesn't easily hook up to a PC to capture charge and discharge. If I were to buy again I would probably spend the extra money to buy an icharger 106b that will hook up to a PC. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6792

Here's an interesting thread about the Turnigy: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/3521

Chat later!
                              Joanne

Comment

Working...