Deep Creeks. Eagles Nest and Oro del Ray mines

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • one_bad_rover

nice!

So to second Matts opinion, you wont hit this canyon in anything short of a pretty decent atv. There is about 1 mile of sharp steep rocks that tip, tilt and cause massive damage, all while getting you nowhere.
    That said, seems that there is some sort of planning for a trip in that direction...

Comment

• sanpet
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Mar 2011

Atv

I have no excess to a ATV. As to walking I am to shot-up for much walking up hills. Being 68 years of age and to much Vietnam and coal mining has left me in bad shape.

Comment

• one_bad_rover

We are plotting a trip shortly, going to be wrangling a few atvs for shuttling. If you are interested, let me know, we could probably figure something out!

Comment

• lobster68w
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by one_bad_rover
          We are plotting a trip shortly, going to be wrangling a few atvs for shuttling. If you are interested, let me know, we could probably figure something out!

Mark me down. I haven't been up there in over a year.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• one_bad_rover

consider yourself down. sent PM

Comment

• sanpet
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Mar 2011

Any thing more as to a day or time?

Comment

• yellowbug
                Mojave Baby
                • Jun 2018

I'm new here and wanted to stir up some interest in going up to the top soon. I went 2 years ago and made it half way with my Tacoma then had to hike the rest of the way. on the way we encountered an area where a big boulder had fallen and brought down a tree onto the road. anyone want to go the end of July o first of august? I have a 98 land cruiser fully capable of making It to the top.

Comment

• Bones
                  Mojave Baby
                  • Jul 2018

Originally posted by yellowbug
                  I'm new here and wanted to stir up some interest in going up to the top soon. I went 2 years ago and made it half way with my Tacoma then had to hike the rest of the way. on the way we encountered an area where a big boulder had fallen and brought down a tree onto the road. anyone want to go the end of July o first of august? I have a 98 land cruiser fully capable of making It to the top.
                  Hey I'm definitely interested in checking out the Oro del Ray mine end of July or first of August. I was just looking a trip report online and it looks awesome. I would have gone out myself this weekend but I'm not sure how far my truck can make it, and I didnt want to go solo. I just moved to Utah from So Cal for work so I'm new to the area and havent met many people yet. I have an Xterra with a lift kit and 33's that probably wont make it to the top but I'd be happy to drive as much as I can (or I can just throw in on gas in the land cruiser). And if we get blocked and have to hike the rest I'm up for that too...I think its like 12 miles round trip from the very start, which is pretty long in the summer heat, but worst case scenario still do able.

I just recently got into exploring mines & ghost towns. I was out by Privateer mine today near Mt Nebo but there were "no trespassing" signs and my wife got a little spooked. I would have pressed on (we were only .5 mile from the mine) but she's pregnant so I didnt want to push it. Anyway, if you need a partner for Oro Del Ray, I'm game. I'll try to PM you on here but not sure if it'll go through, I just joined like 10 minutes ago so im not sure how to work this site yet haha. If all else fails shoot me an email tonytiso1@gmail.com

-Tony
                  Last edited by Bones; 07-01-2018, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• yellowbug
                    Mojave Baby
                    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Bones
                    Hey I'm definitely interested in checking out the Oro del Ray mine end of July or first of August. I was just looking a trip report online and it looks awesome. I would have gone out myself this weekend but I'm not sure how far my truck can make it, and I didnt want to go solo. I just moved to Utah from So Cal for work so I'm new to the area and havent met many people yet. I have an Xterra with a lift kit and 33's that probably wont make it to the top but I'd be happy to drive as much as I can (or I can just throw in on gas in the land cruiser). And if we get blocked and have to hike the rest I'm up for that too...I think its like 12 miles round trip from the very start, which is pretty long in the summer heat, but worst case scenario still do able.

I just recently got into exploring mines & ghost towns. I was out by Privateer mine today near Mt Nebo but there were "no trespassing" signs and my wife got a little spooked. I would have pressed on (we were only .5 mile from the mine) but she's pregnant so I didnt want to push it. Anyway, if you need a partner for Oro Del Ray, I'm game. I'll try to PM you on here but not sure if it'll go through, I just joined like 10 minutes ago so im not sure how to work this site yet haha. If all else fails shoot me an email tonytiso1@gmail.com

-Tony
                    Im thinking august 3rd-5th or the 4th abd 5th if friday off isnt an option

Comment

• Bones
                      Mojave Baby
                      • Jul 2018

I would prefer not to burn a vacation day if thats an option. Ideally I would leave Friday after work, I think the trail head is like 3 hours from my house, so get there Friday night, camp out, and that leaves all day Saturday & all day Sunday to explore. Break camp sunday night and head home. But I'm pretty flexible and its your trip so you make the call

Comment

• Bones
                        Mojave Baby
                        • Jul 2018

Correction on my last post. Just checked out the trip report on the Del Oro mine and surrounding area. There is a LOT to explore. Taking Friday off and making it a 3 day excursion might be the best option!

Comment

• Bones2
                          Mojave Baby
                          • Jul 2018

Im having a really tough time getting comments thru on this site. The auto-moderator keeps thinking they are spam. I don't know if this will get posted but if you still want to check out Oro Del Ray shoot me an email tonytiso1@gmail.com

Comment

• Joanne
                            Mojave Outlaw
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Bones2
                            Im having a really tough time getting comments thru on this site. The auto-moderator keeps thinking they are spam. I don't know if this will get posted but if you still want to check out Oro Del Ray shoot me an email tonytiso1@gmail.com
                            I just looked at your account and don't see anything abnormal. I also looked for any posts that needed to be approved and there were none. Contact me next time you have an issue and I'll see what I can find. Really sorry that the forum software is acting up for you.

Joanne
                            Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Bones
                              Mojave Baby
                              • Jul 2018

Mission accomplished all. We made it to Oro Del Rey! It was a heck of a journey. Anyone reading this who wants to be included on our next adventure just drop me a line

Comment

• mr_ketchum
                                Mojave Teen
                                • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Bones
                                Mission accomplished all. We made it to Oro Del Rey! It was a heck of a journey. Anyone reading this who wants to be included on our next adventure just drop me a line
                                have any pictures?

Comment

Working...