X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Danb
    I was going through some old files over the weekend and found an old newspaper article about Jeremiah Etherington. Deseret News Sunday, AUG 15 1996.
    Story Name: Risky Business.

Here is a link. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/509361/RISKY-BUSINESS--LUST-FOR-WEALTH-AND-ADVENTURE-LURES-EXPLORERS-INTO-ABANDONED-MINES-OF-WEST.html
    The online article doesn’t have the photos that are in the paper. Cory Burningham displaying artifacts and John Rush in a mine.

Dan
    I don't have the Deseret News article but I have the original newpaper clippings from the SL Trib articles on the subject. I was only 15 when it happened but I had already been caught by the mine & prospecting bug... thus I was cutting out every article on the subject and saving it with my stacks of maps, books, etc. When the internet became prevalent I quit because it was to fruitless to save them anymore.

One of the SL Trib articles shows a cross-section 'schematic' of the Honorene Mine. It showed the parallel tunnel ~5000' elevation (Honorene was at ~5600) and said "thought to be strewn with debris & probable rocks and debris) but never made mention of what attempts were made to access him from below.

Originally posted by Rdj
    Email me at roaddogjr1@hotmail.com and I'll give u Corey's number
    Sounds like the makings of a great MU Meetup. Maybe one of the MU team can connect the dots and line up Corey as a presenter.
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• RedRockXJ
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Jun 2008

Good idea Kurt.
      Josh
      - Utah's Finest Outdoor Enthusiasts!

Comment

• fredmcain
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Danb
        I was going through some old files over the weekend and found an old newspaper article about Jeremiah Etherington. Deseret News Sunday, AUG 15 1996.
        Story Name: Risky Business.

Here is a link. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/509361/RISKY-BUSINESS--LUST-FOR-WEALTH-AND-ADVENTURE-LURES-EXPLORERS-INTO-ABANDONED-MINES-OF-WEST.html
        The online article doesn’t have the photos that are in the paper. Cory Burningham displaying artifacts and John Rush in a mine.

Dan
        Very interesting indeed. Is this guy Cory Burningham on this group? If he's not it would be interesting to have him and hear what his side of the story is regarding his hobby.

Regards,
        Fred M. Cain,
        U.S. Route 66 Recommissioning Initiative
        www.bringbackroute66.com

Comment

Working...