X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cherokeepilot85
    Mojave Teen
    • Apr 2009

Honerine Mine and the Jeremiah Etherington Trajedy

After yesterday's MU trip to the Hidden Treasure mine, my wife and I found our curiosity sparked by the many mine tailing piles just east of Stockton. We decided to check out the area and found that there were many more mines than appeared expected.

We found a mine (name unknown) that was accessible and explored for 20 or 30 minutes. The mine's coordinates are: 40° 27’ 17.79” N 112° 20’ 35.87” W.

We also stumbled upon what we later found out was the Honerine Mine, coordinates: 40° 27’ 28.45” N 112° 20’ 38.79” W.
    We found the main adit passable and decided to go in to explore. The mine had many tunnels and plenty of mine cart track. We also found one mine cart.

As we ventured deeper into the mine we found old spools for wire, maybe communication wire. These spools were found every so many hundred feet.

We came upon a small incline shaft that still had the mine cart track in it. In this same room I spotted what seemed like a large piece of I-beam steel but upon closer look found it to be track. But this wasn’t any old mine cart track, this track was the size of railroad track. We found this interesting and thought maybe it had fallen down from and upper level or even a different mine located above us.

There were multiple small collapses in the main adit tunnel but these were passable traversing over them. Some offshoot tunnels had waste rock back-fill.

Both my wife and I were really excited to find such an extensive mine that we didn’t even know was there and that was open. We were eager to tell MU all about our find. This excitement and joyful mood all changed in a moment as we came to the end of the main tunnel.

Somewhere around a mile and half to two miles in we came into an open room which was the end of the main passage. The room had a deep shaft which the mine cart rails spanned, a water tank, and a winch. The first thing to spark both our interest was a painted message on the water tank. I could make out what looked like “RING TON” which I figured was something miners had wrote dealing something with tons of rock or ore. Then my wife read what looked like it said “REMIHA.” Remiha didn’t make any sense at all to me. Just before REMIHA I saw the letters JE and that’s when I figure it all out, REMIHA was part of what was JEREMIHA and reading the rest of the tank the name ETHERINGTON.

Early in the day down in the Hidden Treasure mine, Stuart was explaining to our group some spray painted logos that were the tag of a teenager, Jeremiah Etherington. Jeremiah would explore mines and leave his logo spray painted on the walls of the mines he explored. Stuart also told us how Jeremiah had been repelling down a shaft inside a mine near Stockton with his friends and ended up falling to his death. Search and Rescue workers had tried to recover the body and ended up giving up on it. That is when Jeremiah’s uncle with the help of Jeremiah’s friend repelled down and retrieved Jeremiah’s body from under a pile of rubble that the boy had knocked down in his fall. Jeremiah’s friend, Corey, painted a sign where Jeremiah had died.

As soon as I realized that we were looking at that sign marking the place of Etherington’s death I began snapping pictures of the area without saying anything to my wife. I figured that I would tell my wife what we had found when we were outside of the mine to prevent spooking her. My wife seemed to have figured it out when she said that she could read “DIED” and “1-13-96.” I said, “I know but I wasn’t going to say anything about it tell later.” As I continued taking pictures of the room I was snapping a picture from behind the tank looking towards the shaft when my wife said, “Look at this” looking and pointing her light behind me with a startled look, “it is that logo Stuart was showing us earlier from that teenager with the initials J.E. next to it.” That is when it dawned on her J.E. and the words painted on the tank including “DIED” and the date it happened. In the picture I snapped you can see my wife’s expression as the scenario of the site dawned on her. I turned to see the logo, sure enough there it was along with Jeremiah’s initials and his friend Corey’s initials. Over the initials J.E. was what appeared to be a cross. My wife wasn’t spooked but she and I alike were in a different mood. I snapped some more pictures of the shaft and two other Etherington logos in the room, one with the date 1-13-96 by it.

We knew which mine we were in now, lol.

Earlier Stuart had also told us how Etherington may have been trying to get down into the Bauer tunnel which is famous for its size and the legend that a complete locomotive is in the tunnel. A thought came to me later about the railroad sized track we had found in the one incline shaft room in the mine. I don’t know if it has any connection at all with the possible locomotive down in the Bauer tunnel but it is evidence that there is larger track big enough for a locomotive in the hill.

Another thought about the small wire spools. I did some small research and found that the Honerine mine was first to have a telephone in Tooele Co. Maybe these spools were used for the phone wire in the mine. But to me the spools seem newer and the thought crosses my mine that maybe search a rescue workers had used some sort of communications to the surface.

[img] [/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img][img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]

Here is a link to a newspaper article on the Jeremiah incident:
    Etherington Accident
    - Craig
  • Troy
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2009

Incredible. I remember talking to you and your wife about Jeremiah's story in the hidden treasure after Stuart told us. I thought it was eerie seeing his symbol there let alone the place where he died. More than a strange coincidence....
    Troy E.

Comment

• cherokeepilot85
      Mojave Teen
      • Apr 2009

Troy,

I too remembered talking to you yesterday in the mine and knew that you would find this post interesting and was going to send you a message to let you know that I had posted this, but it looks like you beat me to it.
      - Craig

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

Great writeup Craig! I'm glad you were able to get out to the Honerine! Its a fun mine and is very historically significant, you referenced some of this with the first telephone in the county comment You should do some research on Captain Conner and the Honering Mine. It is quite ironic that I was just telling you about Etherington and you just happened to visit the grisly scene of his last folly later that day. I would love to sit down with his buddy Corey some day and get the real version of what happened down there, I have heard three different versions of the story and don't know which one to believe. I do know for a fact that Corey and Jeremiah climbed, descended, and squeezed into some of the most sketchy of places inside all the mines out in that area. Just yesterday I dropped down that winze with Miah and Crystal and right at the bottom found the initials JE 95 and "Greatest Miner Ever" Corey B. I'm not sure how they got down that winze, but I highly doubt it was done with the proper safety gear. It really is too bad it all ended for them the way it did.

The days of visiting this mine are limited, Unfortunately the DOGM is planning on sealing this mine up permanently this summer in their "Kessler" project.
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Derek
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2008

Craig,

The spools of wire that you saw were used by the Search & Rescue to communicate with the crews at the shaft. That shaft is supposedly 1200' deep where is intersects with the Bauer/Honerine drain tunnel. The mine also goes as deep as 2000' but I don't think that it is that shaft that goes to that depth. Now if we could somehow get into that drainage tunnel....

Mine Team,

The tunnel drains more than just the Honerine as I previously suspected. It drains the Ben Harrison, Honerine, Galena King, Bluestone Shaft, Calumet, and Argent mines. This perks my interest because with this many possiblilites the drain tunnel might not be as completely inaccessible as we once thought. Also we need to make a trip back up to the Honerine before they close it because I have a map that shows that the Tip Top, Galena King, and the Honerine all connect.
          -Derek
          Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Stuart
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

The tunnel drains more than just the Honerine as I previously suspected. It drains the Ben Harrison, Honerine, Galena King, Bluestone Shaft, Calumet, and Argent mines. This perks my interest because with this many possiblilites the drain tunnel might not be as completely inaccessible as we once thought. Also we need to make a trip back up to the Honerine before they close it because I have a map that shows that the Tip Top, Galena King, and the Honerine all connect.
            Interesting news indeed! If there are so many connections to the drain tunnel then there IS still a way into it through at least one of them. I imagine that it would require quite a rappel to get there, I hear that ol' Cranney did 750' so another 1250' isn't too bad I'm up for getting back into the Honerine again before it is shut for good, we need to get in there and document it proper and search it out with better gear. This Saturday and Sunday are open for me.
            -Stuart Burgess
            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
            Burgess Exploration LLC
            http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
            Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Derek
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jul 2008

I am helping Miah with the Hidden Treasure on Saturday and I have to work Sunday afternoon, but lets try and get out to the Honerine in the near future. Will you be able to come and help us at the Hidden Treasure?
              -Derek
              Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mark1955
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Dec 2008

Count me in for the Honerine. Been there many times but never inside and I'd like to shoot some video in there. I was in the Upper Honerine several weeks ago with Matt. Its no where near as large as the lower one but seems uch older and the headstock with pulley is still there laying on the ground. There is also an immense deep shaft big enough to swallow up a school bus!! The addit is interesting and snakes around inside the mountain. There are also some large addits and incline shafts in that narrow canyon just north of the Honerine called the Southport claims. Anyone know what those mines are and are they accessable?

Mark

Comment

• Derek
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jul 2008

Mark I have been in all of the accessable mines in the Stockton area, but I would have to see the Southport claims in person to tell you anything about them.
                  -Derek
                  Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• cherokeepilot85
                    Mojave Teen
                    • Apr 2009

I am up for any exploration in the Honerine area. I'm up in Montana currently and possibly wont be back till Saturday or Sunday but I'll keep an eye on plans to go out to the area again.

Derek,
                    Thanks for the information on the Honerine mine, Bauer tunnel, and communications spools. All very interesting.
                    - Craig

Comment

• Mark1955
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Dec 2008

Derek,
                      If you're anywhere near Red Lodge be sure to go check out the Smith Mine. Its over the hill from Red Lodge on the way to Belfry. Lots of intact buildings and relics there!
                      Its also the site of the worst Coal Mine disaster in Montana...
                      Mark

Comment

• cherokeepilot85
                        Mojave Teen
                        • Apr 2009

Mark,
                        We are in north central Montana, so we are quite a distance from the Red Lodge area. I haven't heard of that mine but I know of the many coal beds there and to the east in Coalstrip, MT.
                        Thanks for the info. The next time I am down there I will have to look at site.
                        - Craig

Comment

• Mark1955
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Dec 2008

I was through Coalstrip a few months ago. Incredible earth movers they have there... I service the movie theater in Forsythe and the one up in Malta, quite a few others too!!

Comment

• Mike Schriber
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Cowboy
                            • Dec 2008

That sounds like quite a mine. I'd heard the story about Jeremiah Etherington and lets just say that I don't think he employed the best safety practices.

We'd be up for a trip to that mine if you guys are going before it's closed. We'd just fly out. You know us though... we'll want to see EVERYTHING we can, even if it means spending twelve hours or more in there!

Mike
                            Underground Explorers
                            California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• Derek
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Outlaw
                              • Jul 2008

Well if you are going to fly out you might as well make a weekend out of it and sepnd some time with us in the Ophir Hill and Hidden Treasure Mines.
                              -Derek
                              Mojave Mine Team

Comment

Working...