Some things I've found around Dugway (map)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • one_bad_rover

As luck would have it, Saturday is wide open for me. Day trip okay? What time you thinking?
    Ed was pointing me to some pretty signifigant sites on the Kellys hole side, and the road cuts up on to the top too... Definately on my list, might as well be this weekend.

Comment

• Mark1955
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Dec 2008

Lets meet at Simpson Springs at ten a.m. Earlier is ok too just let me know...

There is certainly an explorable addit in Kelly's hole just west of the cabin there. Also up top there are a bunch of things to see. It was really rocky up there but with the snow it may not matter all that much. The road going up top is very narrow with a good drop off to the right(when going up).

Mark

Comment

• one_bad_rover

10 am it is... see you there!!!

Comment

• lobster68w
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Dec 2008

I was up there two weekends ago, and someone was out exploring the Four Metals. I'm out that way alot, rarely run into anyone. So far, the Four Metals is the only mine I've found that looks like you can go in. The one adit in Kelly's Hole is a dead end after about 20'. I haven't been all the way up to the shaft for the Rainbow mine yet, not sure what that's like. Otherwise, all others I've found are either caved in or vertical.

As a side note about the Cannon, I was up there not to long ago. I never saw any trailer in that area. It didn't look like anyone had been there in quite a bit, and the opening looked pretty good. It's quite a hike up though without a four wheeler.

I'm probably interested in meeting up with you guys. I should know by Wednesday if I'll be able to or not. I know that area pretty well, going 4-wheeling alot there.

Check out my maps of the area, it shows what mines I've been to and what ones I haven't in the Dugways.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Mark1955
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Dec 2008

I see by the map that you've been aroun d Nevada a bit... There are sure lots of cool places over there. Have you been to Belmont Mill yet or Pioche? There is also an enormous mine around the other side of the mountain from Belmont mill. I went up but the road is blocked off about 3/4's of the way to the top and you'd have to hike in but it's worth it... the mine is enormous and lots of interesting copper based specimans all over the place. You'd need some ATV's to ever be able to really see the whole place.

Mark

Comment

• one_bad_rover

So anyone remember the story of Bullionville. Silver mining town.. It was out there in Dugway. the ore piles that were left out there are still there too. Follow the road to the east, off the range into the flats and there is a building and a few other bits in the dirt. Thats whats left of it.. look around and you can find a good amount of ores too.

Comment

• lobster68w
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Mark1955
                Lets meet at Simpson Springs at ten a.m. Earlier is ok too just let me know...

Mark
                Are you guys still planning on heading out?

I'm going to be in the area on my 4-wheeler, wouldn't mind meeting up with ya.

Originally posted by one_bad_rover
                So anyone remember the story of Bullionville. Silver mining town.. It was out there in Dugway. the ore piles that were left out there are still there too. Follow the road to the east, off the range into the flats and there is a building and a few other bits in the dirt. That's whats left of it.. look around and you can find a good amount of ores too.

I've actually looked for it, but not sure where it is. Do you have any coordinates?

The only buildings I've found are the old log building just north of the Rainbow Mine and the shack at the Rainbow mine. There is an old ore shoot and shack why up on the trail that goes through Kelly hole. The adit is all caved in, and it's kinda a pain to get too.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• one_bad_rover

So its not too difficult to pick out. We should stop by it. Also, as to the old 4 metals.. how about a pic circa 1966

Comment

• Mark1955
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Dec 2008

Nice photo! Looks like a Studebaker parked out front! I'm still planning on being there. 10am Simpson Springs!

Mark

Comment

• Stuart
                      Administrator
                      True Mojave
                      • Sep 2007

There is also an enormous mine around the other side of the mountain from Belmont mill. I went up but the road is blocked off about 3/4's of the way to the top and you'd have to hike in but it's worth it... the mine is enormous and lots of interesting copper based specimans all over the place.
                      Is this mine an underground operation or open pit/strip mine? Do you happen to know its name? Derek and I are trying to pin a location and name on a mysterious NV mine that kinda fits your description.
                      -Stuart Burgess
                      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                      Burgess Exploration LLC
                      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mark1955
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Outlaw
                        • Dec 2008

This one? About 50 miles west and 20 south of Ely... I have a map with the name on it somewhere. Its easy to find... for sure!

Comment

• lobster68w
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Miner
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Mark1955
                          Nice photo! Looks like a Studebaker parked out front! I'm still planning on being there. 10am Simpson Springs!

Mark
                          Count me in. It's always fun heading up into the Dugway's to play around!!

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Mark1955
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Outlaw
                            • Dec 2008

I'll be at Simpson Springs at 10 AM. Looking forword to seeing you all out there tomrrow!

Mark

Comment

• one_bad_rover

yep, keep an eye for a ford ranger with a shell too, thats Ed. He might be early if I know him...

Comment

• lobster68w
                                Advanced Explorer
                                Mojave Miner
                                • Dec 2008

To everyone that showed up this weekend, thanks!!

I had a fun time and learned alot. Will definitely like to go explore some more places.

Anyone up for Gold Hill next weekend?

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

Working...