Some things I've found around Dugway (map)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lobster68w
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Dec 2008

Some things I've found around Dugway (map)

I just recently moved to Utah, so I haven't had that much time to get out and explore things. A couple weeks ago, I was out south of DPG, and came across some old buildings and some abandoned mines. This is my Google map of the locations. It's a work in progress, but hopefully some of this might be new for a few of you.

I'm hoping to have some pictures up soon.

Éirinn go Brách
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Looks like you were in the Dugway Range. One of the few places in the West Desert that I haven't been, but would love to go. Please post some pics as soon as you can.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Stuart
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

^ Same here. Can't wait to see some pictures! Good job with the map.
      -Stuart Burgess
      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
      Burgess Exploration LLC
      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mark1955
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Dec 2008

Yea, am very familiar with that area. It looked as though it was going to go through reclamation two summers ago and many adits were marked with the usual colored flags but since the fires that summer no one's been back to close em up. There are sheperders out there at certain times of the year and there still exists several buildings and a well constructed log building. Several of the mines there looked to be pretty big scale operations, especially Four Metals Mine. There is a mine on the right just after the switchback at the north central end in which I've found some very nice cubes of metal... they're definately not pyrite. HEre is a link to my flikr page... There are other pics there of the areas at North Dugway.

This area should be pretty accessable in winter if the snow hasn't blow too much. If anyone's interested in going just let me know.

Comment

• lobster68w
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Dec 2008

Re: Some things I've found around Dugway (map)

Originally posted by lobster68w
          I just recently moved to Utah, so I haven't had that much time to get out and explore things. A couple weeks ago, I was out south of DPG, and came across some old buildings and some abandoned mines. This is my Google map of the locations. It's a work in progress, but hopefully some of this might be new for a few of you.

I'm hoping to have some pictures up soon.

I was out there today and updated my map. Unfortunately, I'm unable to post pictures yet. Today was not a good day to be without 4x4. Simpson Springs Rd was NASTY. I ended up pulling a pickup out of the ditch, they were lucky I was there. The roads around the mines were quite good. It varied from gravel to about a foot deep drifts. There were a set of tracks before me, maybe someone from here was out there?

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Mark1955
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Dec 2008

Did you get all the way to the Camping trailer parcked at the Northwest corner of the range? I'm not sure what thats for... perhaps someone comes out now and then and works a claim they have... One can only guess...

Comment

• lobster68w
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Mark1955
              Did you get all the way to the Camping trailer parcked at the Northwest corner of the range? I'm not sure what thats for... perhaps someone comes out now and then and works a claim they have... One can only guess...
              Nope. Not sure where it is, I haven't seen one yet. The northwestern most part I've been to is back down to the desert floor and onto the DPG gate. Otherwise, I've gone west of Kelly's hole along the ridge, but haven't been all the way to the end. Looking at Google maps, there is something there, but the weather has not cooperated enough for me to get there. Hopefully next weekend there will be less snow!

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Stuart
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

Several of the mines there looked to be pretty big scale operations, especially Four Metals Mine.
                A few of us have been wanting to drop into the Four Metals for quite some time, we were actually planning on camping out there in early October with Corey from GRE. A nasty storm turned all the roads into a muddy mess and we headed out to some dryer mines instead. One of these weekends we should head out there if the snow isn't too deep.
                -Stuart Burgess
                Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• ExpUt
                  True Mojave
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mark1955
                  Are you referring to the trailer near Indian Springs Canyon at the north end of the Simpson Mountains?
                  Kurt Williams
                  CruiserOutfitters.com
                  ExpeditionUtah.com
                  MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• lobster68w
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Stuart
                    Several of the mines there looked to be pretty big scale operations, especially Four Metals Mine.
                    A few of us have been wanting to drop into the Four Metals for quite some time, we were actually planning on camping out there in early October with Corey from GRE. A nasty storm turned all the roads into a muddy mess and we headed out to some dryer mines instead. One of these weekends we should head out there if the snow isn't too deep.

I think that was the mine I was at today. I had 10 million CP light with me and pointed it down the shaft, went for a while. Doesn't look to be in the best condition though. I have some pics, hopefully get my software issue fixed soon so I can post them.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Stuart
                      Administrator
                      True Mojave
                      • Sep 2007

I think that was the mine I was at today. I had 10 million CP light with me and pointed it down the shaft, went for a while. Doesn't look to be in the best condition though. I have some pics, hopefully get my software issue fixed soon so I can post them.
                      Yes, I would love to see those photos. I don't imagine it is in the best of conditions, but it is definitely still safe enough to drop. I have heard of some people dropping it just this year.

Mike and I are ex CIA hackers so if you need help with any software issues just send us a PM
                      -Stuart Burgess
                      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                      Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• lobster68w
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Stuart
                        Yes, I would love to see those photos. I don't imagine it is in the best of conditions, but it is definitely still safe enough to drop. I have heard of some people dropping it just this year.

Mike and I are ex CIA hackers so if you need help with any software issues just send us a PM

Thanks!

I got my little problem fixed, so hopefully will have them up by tomorrow night sometime. I'll post a link when it's done.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• lobster68w
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Miner
                          • Dec 2008

I've added some pictures and have a few mine pics in there. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back out this weekend if the weather is more cooperative.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• one_bad_rover

Nothing is on the rec. list, but the Cannon family is active out there. mostly on the west side of the range. They have been trying to sue the govt. for years, for a ton of money, claiming they destroyed their claims with bombs and gasses. Its kind of funny cause they have a trailer out there and if any of them are out there they will tell you they own everything from the eastern valley all the way over. Respond to this with a "go f#&* yourself and continue on... their patent is 30 acres of nothing, the mountain itself is not on their claims.

Comment

• Mark1955
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Outlaw
                              • Dec 2008

Corey...

I always wondered who's trailer that was. These people sound like jerks... kinda like sometime when they're not there the trailer might roll off the cliff .

There are ALOT of addits just south of Four Metals or perhaps Rainbow mine. I've spent alot of time out there over the last year. There is also another "upper level" west of Rainbow Mine that is really interesting. Some look penetrable and fairly easy to explore.

If anyone is interested in going out there this weekend post back here. I'm free this Saturday!

Mark

Comment

Working...