X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dawn_CL
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Nov 2009

Did you notch the timbers and bolt steel stay rods between the upper and lower sets? When i recollared and retimbered one of my mine shafts, i made cuts or notches on the ends of the timbers (sort of like they do with log cabins) then i drilled holes a few inches beyond the cuts so i could put in stay rods to hold the set up below the top collar. The stay rods run down alongside the length of the vertical timbers( a few inches beside and at each corner of the sets. The stay rods is what hold everything together, and the lower sets from seperating from the sets above. Then i put doors over the shaft that i could lock to keep out intruders. When i want to use the shaft i just swing up the doors and place a hoist over the shaft then remove it when im finished with the mine for a while. I have the shaft timbered a certain way that i can just temporarily bolt the hoist to the timbers by use of thick metal tabs bolted into the timbers. Its also good to bolt the timber corners together too to hold the notched areas in place. Its A LOT of work but its very good to do in the long run.
    Dawn

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

This is our campsite when we work the mine.

Hauling dirt out of the mine.

Looking up the haulage shaft.

Kelly getting off on the 2nd level.

Joanne
      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Matt Paulson
        Mojave Child
        • Apr 2018

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Those are some neat ore cart tracks on the surface.

Comment

Working...