X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Getting Started In Mine Exploring

I've had a number of people ask me how to get started in mine exploring. I've put down some of my thoughts based on my experience as an underground explorer. Some people will tell you that the way that they rig their gear, set an anchor, or descend a rope is the ONLY correct method. Nonsense. There are many ways to approach each task as long as safety is the first consideration.

Feel free to add your thoughts of how you approach mine exploring.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think quite a number of us agree with "Stay Out, Stay Alive" for the general public because abandoned mines by their very nature are dangerous places. The guy out riding around in his Jeep and drinking beer decides to explore a mine using his cell phone as a flashlight is just begging to get hurt or killed. Not much different than someone strapping on scuba gear and trying to teach himself to scuba dive. Might be successful, might not. On the other hand, experienced explorers with the proper gear evaluate the risks and act accordingly.

So what are the dangers? Of course there is the danger of collapse. It's rare, but on more than one occasion we have heard rock falls in the mine as we explore. There is also the danger of bad air. It's a very real danger that has taken quite a few lives. You generally can't tell you are in bad air until it's too late. A properly maintained and calibrated gas meter can provide a bad air warning. Wooden sub-floors are always a danger. Deep winzes are often planked over then covered in dirt. We've been in places where we realized that we were walking on a sub-floor 100ft above the next level down. There is a very high probability sever injury or death if it collapses. Getting lost in a mine can be a danger, but it's really not likely. Most mines branch out as you go in, so finding your way back out is usually pretty obvious. That said, the risks are manageable with a bit of experience and common sense. We've all heard of people being killed in old mines, but I've not heard of an experienced mine explorer who has. The incidents I've heard of are unprepared people wandering into an abandoned mine or getting too close to a vertical shaft and falling in.

So how do you get started?

I hate to start with gear, but let’s get it out of the way. I’m going to just list out what I think is important and talk about a couple of specific items in greater detail.

GEAR

helmet
    headlamp
    backup headlamp
    hand held light
    spare batteries
    gloves
    knife
    water
    small 1st aid kit
    50 feet of 1” webbing for a hand line
    2 or 3 carabiners
    whistle for signaling
    compass
    p95 dust mask (optional)
    knee pads (optional)
    rain suit (optional)
    gas meter (optional)
    SPOT personal tracker (optional)

HELMETS

We wear helmets for a number of reasons. First off they protect us when we smack our head on overhead rocks. They protect us to some extent from falling rocks. Even a small rock falling from a hight can do a lot of damage. There's no real protection from a large rock fall. Lastly they provide a mounting platform for our headlamps.

As a new explorer there are a lot of options for a helmet depending on your budget. If you have the money, then of course I would recommend a climbing helmet. Now days most climbing helmets have clips around the outside to hold a headlamp strap in place so it doesn't slide up and fall off the helmet. A good helmet should cost anywhere between $50 and $100. If money is tight or if you don’t want to invest until you are certain you like underground exploring, there are other options that will work as well. Bike helmets, skateboard helmets, and even construction hard hats will work although they won't necessarily provide the same protection as a climbing helmet.

I started exploring by mounting a headlamp to my bike helmet. It looked a little silly but it got me going at no cost since I already had the helmet and a headlamp. The down side of bike helmets is that they have lots of air holes to keep you cool when riding. Unfortunately those same holes let in dirt and provide less protection from falling rocks or other sharp objects. A skateboard or snowboarding helmet will work as well. They will lack a way to securely mount a headlamp. Some folks buy headlamp clips from a climbing store, or you can drill a couple of small holes to run wire-ties through to hold the headlamp strap in place.

Hardhats have a couple of problems, though they are easy to overcome. First, most hardhats in the US do not have chin straps. That means if you look over the lip of a deep shaft, you could easily lost your helmet and your headlamp. Maybe not a huge problem if you are on the surface, but if you are way deep in a mine it means that you might be in real trouble. So how do you fix that? Head down to REI or other camping store and look for some narrow nylon webbing and a release buckle. An online resource for all kinds of webbing, snaps, buckles and the like is www.strapworks.com Next you have the problem of mounting your headlamp. Again, wire ties or clips. (Google search “helmet headlamp clips”)

HEADLAMPS AND FLASHLIGHTS

When you go underground your headlamp becomes a piece of life support equipment. No different than a parachute for a sky diver or a breathing regulator for a scuba diver. That sounds pretty dramatic but it’s really true. In all but the most simple mine, losing your light would leave you stranded in the mine waiting for rescue. Once you have crossed a winze (deep shaft) or climbed up a ladder, you no longer have the ability to safely find your way back to the mine entrance without light.

So why am I going on and on about lights? Well some people think that one light is as good as the next light. They think that if they find a 5 pack of lights at Walmart for $10, that they are ready to head underground. They may be fine around the house or in the glove box of their car, but not for underground! This is one place you need to invest some money in a quality light that is built to a higher standard.

Here is what you need. One headlamp mounted to your helmet. This is your primary light and needs to be the best you can afford. You should also have a backup light mounted to your helmet. This can be a second headlamp, or a handheld flashlight wire tied to the helmet. The reason we have two mounted to the helmets is to ensure that even if your primary light fails, you have a back-up that allows you to still use both hands to climb or descend a ladder or other obstacle.

In addition to your helmet lights, you should have a handheld flashlight that you can carry in your pocket or backpack. There is a saying, “Two is one, and one is none.” That’s why my procedure is that three lights is the minimum to head underground with.

Before you go out and buy lights, I suggest you do a bit of research. www.candlepowerforums.com is a good resource. Two suggestions: First, find lights that use the same battery type. That keeps you from having to keep track of different sized batteries. Second, go rechargeable. When I started out I had lights that used CR123A batteries and that got really expensive over time. Now I run lights that use 18650 batteries and I have a charger that runs from my car battery for multi-day trips.

TECHNIQUE & EXPERIENCE

- Make certain that you let someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back. I use a SPOT tracker to broadcast my location before entering a mine. That ensures that emergency personnel don't waste time trying to figure out where we are
    - Wear appropriate protective clothing. I recommend long pants, long sleeves, over the ankle hiking boots and gloves
    - Wear proper exploring gear including a helmet and multiple lights, and spare batteries
    - Gain experience by starting with smaller, easier mines. Then move to larger, more challenging ones
    - Find local explorers to go with. Going solo gives you no margin of safety
    - Learn a few basic knots: bowline, figure 8, clove hitch, and butterfly
    - You can use a GPS and camera to document the location of mines and keep track of which photos come from which mine. First, take a picture of your GPS showing the lat and lon before you take any photos of the mine. That way all of the pictures after the lat-lon photo are of the same mine

RESOURCES

- www.mojaveunderground.com (old information but some good threads)
    - www.undergroundexplorers.com (tons of good pictures)
    - aditnow.co.uk (British based site, but interesting pictures and discussions)

VERTICAL EXPLORING

Being able to rappel and ascend ropes opens up your exploring possibilities. It also weeds out 90% of the casual explorers leaving you with less traveled, more pristine areas to explore. That said, there is a significant amount of gear and training required before heading underground with ropes.

If you are even considering doing vertical exploring, read through these 10 tutorials. Not all of it applies to mine exploring, but caving and mine exploring have a lot of technique in common.
    - www.cavediggers.com/vertical (outstanding set of 10 tutorials on vertical caving)

‘On Rope’ is a great book if you really want to learn a lot about underground technique. It’s not cheap, but you can find it on Amazon. Probably the best technical book that I’ve found.

Become proficient at rappelling and ascending above ground before heading into a mine. I strongly recommend finding an experienced mentor to help you learn the proper techniques.

FINDING MINES

Finding mines to explore can be quite easy in some parts of the country and quite difficult in other parts. We find mines three different ways.

First, we get in the truck and head out into the desert. We don’t just drive blindly around. We head to areas that have historically been mining districts.

The second way is to get on Google Earth and start looking for tailing piles. They are usually pretty obvious and we copy down the lat / lon so we can go explore in person.

Lastly, the USGS has a Mineral Resources Data System that is a database of old mining claims. I have extracted the mine location coordinates and created a file for each of the west coast states. The file is opened in Google Earth and displays a color coded push-pin at each mine location. Yellow pins indicate gold mines, blue pins indicate gemstone mines, red pins indicate placer gold, and green pins are everything else. I will post those state-by-state mine files in the near future.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • mr_ketchum
    Mojave Teen
    • Nov 2017

zoom in on an area. check mineral resources and mine features on the bottom right.
    this is not by commodity.

Comment

• Matt Paulson
      Mojave Child
      • Apr 2018

These are very helpful mine exploration tips. How much should one be worried about collapses? Is it smarter to explore mines with more than one outlet? Or is the risk so low that one shouldn't worry?

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Matt Paulson
        These are very helpful mine exploration tips. How much should one be worried about collapses? Is it smarter to explore mines with more than one outlet? Or is the risk so low that one shouldn't worry?
        Matt,
        When I started exploring, a collapse was my greatest worry, followed closely by falling through a rotten false floor into a deep winze. I am still cautious about both of those because it would be foolish not to in this environment.

Now for your question. Since you are relatively new to exploring and concerned about a collapse, it would just make sense to find mines with multiple adits. That would give you peace of mind as you explore and gain experience. You could worry a bit less about getting trapped and enjoy the exploration more. In time the concern of a collapse will find it's proper place in your evaluation of each new mine. That said, it can be challenging to find mines that have multiple adits.

Joanne

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• mr_ketchum
          Mojave Teen
          • Nov 2017

I think about earth quakes and other natural movements that would take down a mine as very, very rare. No earthquake or movement has taken down the part of the mine you are exploring since it was built. The probability that a movement occurs that takes the mine down while you are inside is very, very, very low.

I see the probability that I cause an accident as much higher than a natural movement. Maybe I bump into a rotten timber that is supporting fill above my head. Maybe I walk through a false floor that I can't see. Those are my fault, not the Earth's. I also look at the timber, supports, and structure to gauge how well those are holding up. If it's a dry mine, they might be fine and still strong enough to support what's above them. If it's a wet mine, I look up all the time to make sure I'm not standing under a rock that is resting on rotten timbers.

I have a binder full of timbering papers and handbooks. I try to read them in my free time. I often see things underground that are not to standard or that are missing pieces of wood that should be there. I take this as signs not to hang around those features.

I like research

Comment

• Matt Paulson
            Mojave Child
            • Apr 2018

Thank you for the helpful advice. It helps to know that natural collapses are rare, and human triggered events are more common. It makes sense.

There are some mines high in the mountains of the Deep Creek Range in Utah I plan to explore. I am planning on going with someone else. When exploring mines with 2 or more people is it best to keep a distance from each other? That way if one person experiences a hazard, it's less likely to happen to the other? Like falling through a false floor? Or is this a non-concern?

Comment

• Joanne
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jul 2009

Thank you for the helpful advice. It helps to know that natural collapses are rare, and human triggered events are more common. It makes sense.

There are some mines high in the mountains of the Deep Creek Range in Utah I plan to explore. I am planning on going with someone else. When exploring mines with 2 or more people is it best to keep a distance from each other? That way if one person experiences a hazard, it's less likely to happen to the other? Like falling through a false floor? Or is this a non-concern?
              I'm not sure I would worry too much about maintaining a "safety gap" between explorers. It generally happens anyway since we tend to wander apart to look at different points of interest anyway. Most importantly is being vigilant as you explore, not just wander around mindlessly.

You touched on exploring team size. I've explored with all different sized groups from solo to groups of 10 or more. My preferred team size is three. Three is a small enough group that dust is minimized, you can move through challenging sections reasonably quickly, and there usually isn't a lot of debate on where to explore next. The real benefit to a team size of three is that if one person is seriously injured, one person can stay with the injured explorer while another can go for assistance. Some of the mines that we explore can take well over an hour just to get to the adit, plus another hour to reach the closest town. Leaving an injured explorer alone underground for 4 or 5 hours just isn't a good situation.

Of course, one of the most important safety procedures is to tell someone where you are going and what time to expect your return. I have a Delorme atlas for Nevada and most of the states around here. Before I head out, I open it to the page that shows where I'm going to and put a post-it note on the exact place that I plan to explore and what time I expect to be back. If I don't show back up, then search and rescue knows exactly where to start their search.

Anyway, just things to think about.

Joanne

Comment

• Dawn_CL
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Nov 2009

And what happens once S&R gets there and has to rescue you?
                You may get fined for trespassing (or possibly even jail time) in a 'closed' mine PLUS billed for the rescue! Even in mines you get permission from the owners to go in it, youd still be billed for the rescue.
                Dawn

Comment

• Matt Paulson
                  Mojave Child
                  • Apr 2018

If you avoid private mines then there isn't a problem. There are plenty of mines that aren't private to explore. As far as S&R billing goes, that's a risk anyone takes when they explore the wilderness and need rescue.

Comment

• Dawn_CL
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Nov 2009

Mines on government property and/or state property ARE illegal to explore. They have them closed for many reasons. I have seen many people hauled off to jail once they were caught inside mines on BLM and state property. Matter of fact, Rangers was right there waiting for the people they caught in the mines to come out, while others was caught just by having to be rescued, and these were amateurs AND regular 'explorers'. If the mines are posted then its usually just a simple charge such as criminal trespass which brings a 1000 fine plus 6 months in jail depending on the class it is, but if the mine is indeed closed with some types of 'barring' over the entrances then its 'breaking and entering PLUS criminal trespass which brings much higher sentences. These are both goverment AND/OR state charges depending on who the property is maintained by.

So now, with a Rescue needing to happen then theres yet more things to have to deal with. Possible Federal and/or State charges PLUS S&R billing. Just isnt worth all that hassle.

As for my mines, and i own several patents plus i have several claims, and they are heavily posted so IF i happen to catch anyone in any of those i will not hesitate to bring arrest and send them to jail for a longggg time. One guy was already arrested for breaking into one of my mines and living on the property when i happened to go up in there and catch him. Im assuming hes still doing time and he was arrested over a year ago.

The biggest problem i have with people entering my mines or on any of my properties is because of insurance issues. Should they get hurt or killed in the mines then everything falls upon the owner and im just not about to accept that kind of risk. I think most mining companies and private mine owners have those insurance issues on thier minds just as i do.
                    Last edited by Dawn_CL; 04-23-2018, 01:45 AM.
                    Dawn

Comment

• Matt Paulson
                      Mojave Child
                      • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Dawn_CL
                      Mines on government property and/or state property ARE illegal to explore. They have them closed for many reasons. I have seen many people hauled off to jail once they were caught inside mines on BLM and state property. Matter of fact, Rangers was right there waiting for the people they caught in the mines to come out, while others was caught just by having to be rescued, and these were amateurs AND regular 'explorers'. If the mines are posted then its usually just a simple charge such as criminal trespass which brings a 1000 fine plus 6 months in jail depending on the class it is, but if the mine is indeed closed with some types of 'barring' over the entrances then its 'breaking and entering PLUS criminal trespass which brings much higher sentences. These are both goverment AND/OR state charges depending on who the property is maintained by.

So now, with a Rescue needing to happen then theres yet more things to have to deal with. Possible Federal and/or State charges PLUS S&R billing. Just isnt worth all that hassle.

As for my mines, and i own several patents plus i have several claims, and they are heavily posted so IF i happen to catch anyone in any of those i will not hesitate to bring arrest and send them to jail for a longggg time. One guy was already arrested for breaking into one of my mines and living on the property when i happened to go up in there and catch him. Im assuming hes still doing time and he was arrested over a year ago.

The biggest problem i have with people entering my mines or on any of my properties is because of insurance issues. Should they get hurt or killed in the mines then everything falls upon the owner and im just not about to accept that kind of risk. I think most mining companies and private mine owners have those insurance issues on thier minds just as i do.
                      Thanks for the warning regarding trespassing. I don't approach active mining situations, any private mine, or closed mines. However any mine that does not fall into that category I like to explore and document. Utah is on a tirade to seal off and destroy any mining site they can afford. So it's important to document these sites before it's to late. After all, the purpose of Mojave Underground is mine exploration and preservation.

Since you're a miner yourself, if you had any tips regarding mine exploration I'd be interested in knowing any professional advice.

Comment

• Dawn_CL
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Nov 2009

@ Matt:

Hey, no problem! I probably could help you out on some good mining advice. I probably cant offer much more advice on exploring the mines since i do or have done very little exploring other than what Joanne has already stated in her posts.

You actually have common sense and, my god how i do admire that.

They close off the mines over this way also and boy that really makes my jaws tight. Matter of fact i had a go with our local geologist over that very thing not long ago but most of the time they do that(close off the mines) because of the insurance issues or lawsuits that may fall upon the government or state entities that admin over the lands.

I dont really mind at all if people want to see my mines, however, the only thing i ask is that i be notified so that i can try to be there for safety and insurance purposes, even though this i cant really guarantee since im usually busy at my current mine or out doing other things.
                        There have been a few around the area thats contacted me to see my mines and i had no problems with that at all, but the problem i did have was the guy i had arrested and charged because i had later found out that while he was 'squatting' up there and working my mine, he had a few of his freinds from the area out there at the mine too and that i just didnt like. Had he, at least, respected that i didnt want strangers out there and had he not ripped the door off my mine and broken the locks then more than likely i wouldnt have had more charges brought onto him other than the trespass charge but since he did all that i got really pissed and just loaded the charges on him.
                        Dawn

Comment

• Joanne
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Jul 2009

I certainly understand not wanting people messing around your active mine. Two partners and I own a mine outside of Tonopah. It has three levels and a vertical shaft. We have recollared the mine and added a covering to keep people and animals from falling in, or people from dropping large rocks down the shaft. We had a nice ladder ruined when someone dropped a large rock down the shaft. We also have barbed wire around it with "Keep Out" signs. As mine owners we have a basic responsibility to protect people from being injured in our workings.

In my explorations I always stay away from obviously active mines or any that have "keep out" or "private property" signage.

Joanne
                          Last edited by Joanne; 04-26-2018, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• mr_ketchum
                            Mojave Teen
                            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Joanne
                            I certainly understand not wanting people messing around your active mine. Two partners and I own a mine outside of Tonopah. It has three levels and a vertical shaft. We have recollared the mine and added a covering to keep people and animals from falling in, or people from dropping large rocks down the shaft. We had a nice ladder ruined when someone dropped a large rock down the shaft. We also have barbed wire around it with "Keep Out" signs. As mine owners we have a basic responsibility to protect people from being injured in our workings.

In my explorations I always stay away from obviously active mines or any that have "keep out" or "private property" signage.

Joanne
                            Wow, do you have photos or a post made about this? I would love to see photos of the retimbering of the collar!

Comment

• Joanne
                              Mojave Outlaw
                              • Jul 2009

I guess it wasn't as much a recollaring as it was overplanking the existing collar. The original collar is approximately 10 x 10 beams that had started to deteriorate pretty badly. We used lag bolts to attach 2 x 10 boards over the existing beams.

Unfortunately I didn't video the effort. I think it might have been interesting to some of us. The difficult part about creating good video it that it really does take time and effort to do so. When we are out at the mine we tend to be focused on the mine work, so filming would cut into what we can accomplish in our limited time there. I've done a bit of filming while we were up there but didn't have a story line in mind so it's just random bits of video with no story to tie it together. Maybe I'll get it figured out one day....

Joanne

Comment

Working...