Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brahmabull1018
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2013

Sorry preferred days/times that you can go..
    Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of Kings.

- Horace

Comment

• MxDenz
      Mojave Child
      • Aug 2013

So, I have the same question, which doesn't appear to be answered yet.... Does one need special permission to enter the Centennial Mine? I've explored a lot of the mines in the area, but was never sure about this one. I usually make at least one trip down that way per year and would love to get the chance to explore and see all that this historical site has within. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MxDenz
        So, I have the same question, which doesn't appear to be answered yet.... Does one need special permission to enter the Centennial Mine? I've explored a lot of the mines in the area, but was never sure about this one. I usually make at least one trip down that way per year and would love to get the chance to explore and see all that this historical site has within. Any help would be much appreciated.

Permission? Not really. It is not posted as an active claim, and is on public land (as far as I know, no signs to the contrary) so no as far as I know, you don't need permission.

- Horace

Comment

• Kiel
          Mojave Miner
          • Feb 2009

The centennial eureka mine is 100 percent patented private property. It is owned by chief consolidated I believe. Eureka does have security that does enforce private property laws and more then a 4 trespassing tickets have been issued to my knowledge in the past few years.
          Underground Baby!

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Kiel
            The centennial eureka mine is 100 percent patented private property. It is owned by chief consolidated I believe. Eureka does have security that does enforce private property laws and more then a 4 trespassing tickets have been issued to my knowledge in the past few years.

Kiel - I don't doubt what you say, but wouldn't there be signs either on the land or near the entrance of the mine? I have been there, and there is nothing. The land doesn't have a no trespassing sign, the mine doesn't have anything other then a small round thing saying it is an abandoned mine. So how could a person be ticketed if they believed they were on public land?

- Horace

Comment

• sanpet
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Mar 2011

Utah has 2 trespassing codes. 1 is wildlife trespassing witch deals with wildlife and hunting, fishing. The other code is criminal trespassing. That takes in just about everything on peoples property. This is the one that can get you in real trouble.

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by sanpet
                Utah has 2 trespassing codes. 1 is wildlife trespassing witch deals with wildlife and hunting, fishing. The other code is criminal trespassing. That takes in just about everything on peoples property. This is the one that can get you in real trouble.
                Yes, but that is my question. How can I get cited for trespassing if it isn't marked as private property? How would one know that it is private?

- Horace

Comment

• Kiel
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Feb 2009

I do agree with your statements, but as I have heard from numerous law enforcement, ignorance of the law doesn't get you off
                  Underground Baby!

Comment

• sanpet
                    Mojave Cowboy
                    • Mar 2011

now a lot of this depends on the arresting law sheriff or other law enforcement, the judge the county prosacuter and so forth. Do you need a sine on your house or you yard to keep unwanted people out? No you do not. The same goes for all of your property. A gate or fience is all you need. If someone push's your fience down or makes ruts on your roads or any other damage or takes anything from your property it is a trespassing and it can be a felony. So the best thing to do is get written promison. Most land owners really do not care if you go on there land as long as you treat there land with care as if it was yours.

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                      Mojave Cowboy
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by sanpet
                      now a lot of this depends on the arresting law sheriff or other law enforcement, the judge the county prosacuter and so forth. Do you need a sine on your house or you yard to keep unwanted people out? No you do not. The same goes for all of your property. A gate or fience is all you need. If someone push's your fience down or makes ruts on your roads or any other damage or takes anything from your property it is a trespassing and it can be a felony. So the best thing to do is get written promison. Most land owners really do not care if you go on there land as long as you treat there land with care as if it was yours.

Kiel - yeah that is true. It just seems like a very gray area where it isn't posted. the average Joe would have no clue it was private property with no fences, signs, etc. So how do you get around that? I would love to get permission from land owners to enter mines - that would be the ideal scenario but I doubt that is plausible. Have you been in the centennial eureka? If so, what would you say if you got caught?

- Horace

Comment

• Kiel
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Feb 2009

To play devil's advocate here, I know the centennial eureka is all gated up. What Will you say when you they know you are getting past the gate somehow? "I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be in there, officer" Officer- " What do those huge rebar and steel gates say to you" lol
                        Underground Baby!

Comment

• MxDenz
                          Mojave Child
                          • Aug 2013

Here's a question..... Has anyone on here ever asked for permission to enter the Centennial, and if so, who did they ask? And what was the result? I'd be happy to ask the owner for permission and sign any waivers etc. I'd like to avoid any unnecessary run-ins with the law.

Comment

• Kiel
                            Mojave Miner
                            • Feb 2009

Its the individuals responsibility to know the status of the property they are on. I worked with the offroad communtiy for a while, so I am very familiar with legal access to public land. There are maps that show land status. I'm not saying your gonna get in trouble or you might get off with a warning, but if they want to bend you over, they can. Plus you can't deny you're finding a way to gain entry to a closed mine
                            Underground Baby!

Comment

• sanpet
                              Mojave Cowboy
                              • Mar 2011

Remember I was talking about piverit land not public land.

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                                Mojave Cowboy
                                • Mar 2013

Kiel - all your advice is good. However, the last time I went in that mine, the main gate was wide open. Not that it makes a huge difference, but it was open. No breaking in had to take place.

- Horace

Comment

Working...