X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leavittwoodland
    Mojave Child
    • Mar 2013

Centennial Mine, Eureka Utah

Today i meet an old timer out in Eureka that I had a long conversation with. I also explored the Centennial Mine in Eureka. I was wondering if anybody had been in that mine? If so, did you find the tunnel that connects to the Mammoth mines? According to the guy i talked to there is a tunnel that goes from the Centennial over to Mammoth via a tunnel under the mountain.

I covered about 3-4 miles of tunnels and didn't even come close to covering all of the tunnels. Started at the ground level horizontal access and went down to the 200' level and explored most of that level, and then continued down to the 400' level and didn't come close to finishing that level. From the 400' level it is possible to go to a few other lower levels but they would require rope work and by that time i was far too tired! I surveyed the ground level, and most of the 200' level and will post it when complete. If somebody else has surveyed this mine i would love to see it. I have never surveyed before so dont hold your breath for any grandeur from my survey.

I will post a few pictures also. I am a professional photographer but unfortunately only have a camera phone and my really expensive cameras, so the quality is...terrible even for a camera phone! Maybe one day i will trust myself to take a better camera. Here are the pictures: (the link has most of them)

Attached Files
    Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated... but we are initiated, aren't we Bruce? Members of the League of Shadows!
  • Kiel
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

looks great! Eureka has a ton of private of private property mine claims with very protective owners, so heads up
    Underground Baby!

Comment

• leavittwoodland
      Mojave Child
      • Mar 2013

Thanks for the heads up! The guy I meet was a great resource on what was private and what is not. I always keep my eye out for private property signs.
      Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated... but we are initiated, aren't we Bruce? Members of the League of Shadows!

Comment

• Jeff
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Nov 2008

Eureka is a great place. As Kiel said heads up. Awesome pics and report thanks for posting.
        Jeff
        Mojave Mine Team
        Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

Got'ta love threads with pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Joanne
          Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Kiel
            Mojave Miner
            • Feb 2009

I emailed you some info leavitt
            Underground Baby!

Comment

• Danb
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Sep 2009

Was the old timers name Billy Baumb?

Dan
              We do it underground and under water.
              Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• leavittwoodland
                Mojave Child
                • Mar 2013

No the name was unique, and i dont remember the whole name. He told me to call him Tom. He lives on main street, and said stop in anytime to chat, and that he is trying to pass on as much of his wisdom to us "young kids" as he can. Great guy! When you respect and cherish their past and their livelihood they are very willing to pass on their knowledge, i have found. I am new to this group but it seems that there are a lot of good people trying to do just that!

Comment

• Danb
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Sep 2009

Old timers are cool. They know the value of history. Billy is a relative of my wife and must know the man you visited with. He was on the show Ghost Town Gold and own’s buildings on Main Street including the one with the water well inside.

Dan
                  We do it underground and under water.
                  Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• Stuart
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

I've talked to a few old timers out there and have learned a great deal from them. I explored the Centennial Eureka all the way back in 2002 and really liked it. Its a huge mine and connects to many of the others.

Welcome to the group!
                    -Stuart Burgess
                    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                    Burgess Exploration LLC
                    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• kburton
                      Mojave Baby
                      • Oct 2013

That's awesome you got.in! Sweet pics!, thanks for sharing!

I actually went down to Eureka today, went to the Tintic Museum they have there. That's all pretty cool too. I was HOPING to get in to the Centennial, but it was all the signs and fences scared me off... Did you talk with someone and get permission? Or maybe go in from another entrance?

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by kburton
                        That's awesome you got.in! Sweet pics!, thanks for sharing!

I actually went down to Eureka today, went to the Tintic Museum they have there. That's all pretty cool too. I was HOPING to get in to the Centennial, but it was all the signs and fences scared me off... Did you talk with someone and get permission? Or maybe go in from another entrance?
                        I would be willing to go in there with you sometime if you are interested
                        Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of Kings.

- Horace

Comment

• kburton
                          Mojave Baby
                          • Oct 2013

Yes! I would be very interested!
                          You let me know when works for you, and I can make it work for me!

Go ahead and call or text me to set something up...

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                            Mojave Cowboy
                            • Mar 2013

I will let you know soon!

- Horace

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                              Mojave Cowboy
                              • Mar 2013

Kburton - do you have a preferred days that you can go?

- Horace

Comment

Working...