Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brahmabull1018
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2013

Denny - Have you been down there recently? Are there still mines that have access or are they mostly blocked?
    Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of Kings.

- Horace

Comment

• MxDenz
      Mojave Child
      • Aug 2013

Brahma - Last time I was there, was about 2 years ago and most were still open. There are a lot of vertical mines in the area, but some horizontal adits to explore as well. It's definitely worth the trip. There are a lot of mines up and down the valley to the south of Spor Mtn. There are a few active claims/operations in the area too. We only got to spend half a day there last time, then it started dumping snow on us, so we didn't get to check out all of the locations I wanted to go.
      We were thinking about driving down there this weekend, but mostly just to see what is worth exploring, then taking a later trip with all my gear to explore the areas we find accessible. We'll be taking our dog with us, so we won't be doing much underground exploring... just scouting on this trip.

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Mar 2013

MxDenz - did you have a chance to get down there last weekend? I would love to take a trip down there if you find it is worth doing

- Horace

Comment

• MxDenz
          Mojave Child
          • Aug 2013

Brahma - Yes, we did go out there on Sat. We got a late start so we didn't get to check out as much as we wanted to. Still looks the same as it did two years ago. We got some pretty good pics in one particular area. We only went into one adit way up behind the school bus up on the hill. It was collapsed about 80 - 100 feet in. But the machinery and history of that particular spot was worth the trip alone. I'll get some pics posted later. I got some really good ones. We are going to head out there again sometime in the next month or two, but we'll get an earlier start next time. I know where some really good adits are supposed to be located and will check those out next time. If you'd like to make the trip with us, the main road is accessible by any kind of vehicle. It's a dirt road, but looks like it was just graded and is very smooth. To get to some of the mines, 4 wheel drive is required, unless you like long uphill hikes. My truck will make it almost anywhere out there though. It's definitely a trip that you'd have plenty to see all day. Lots of equipment and some structures still standing out there also. I'll get the pics posted later tonight, so you can see what I'm talking about.

Comment

• MxDenz
            Mojave Child
            • Aug 2013

Some of the cool old structures we saw, and some old vehicles at some of the mine sites on our way up the mountain. It was a nice sunny day. No snow or mud anywhere.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2215.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	11364

Name:	DSCF2216.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	11365Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2219.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	11366Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2220.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	11367Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2221.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	11368

Comment

• MxDenz
              Mojave Child
              • Aug 2013

If you haven't seen the old school bus up on the mountain, here are some good pics. It appears that it won't be there much longer. It's pretty close to rolling off the side of the mountain.

Name:	DSCF2232.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	11374Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2234.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	11375Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2238.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	11376Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2242.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	11377Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2243.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	11378
              Last edited by MxDenz; 04-10-2014, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• MxDenz
                Mojave Child
                • Aug 2013

Sorry about the pics.... they aren't hosted anywhere, just uploaded from my computer, so they show as links.

Comment

• MxDenz
                  Mojave Child
                  • Aug 2013

More pics from up near the top of the mountain.... Yes, I was able to drive up there.... Need a short wheel-base 4x4 to make though.

Name:	DSCF2231.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	11369Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2236.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	11370Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2251.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	11371Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2252.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	11372Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2253.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	11373

Comment

• Kiel
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Feb 2009

the crane truck is awesome
                    Underground Baby!

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                      Mojave Cowboy
                      • Mar 2013

denz

Nice pictures! It definitely looks like an area worth visiting. Did you make it into any of the mines?

- Horace

Comment

• MxDenz
                        Mojave Child
                        • Aug 2013

Brahma - Just the one that I was standing in front of in the picture. It goes back and makes an "S" turn then is completely collapsed about 80-100 ft from the entrance. There is supposed to be another opening on the back side of the mountain, but we were running out of daylight and wanted to check out some other areas before it got dark. We'll definitely be going back there sometime soon. Next time we'll be focusing more on going inside some of the adits we know about.

The school bus was the best part. I don't know how that thing is still there... it's literally hanging off of the mountain. I've known about the school bus for a long time, but this is the first time I've made it up the mountain to check it out. You can clearly see it from the main road down below. The fuel truck and crane truck were pretty cool to see too. They look like they just got parked and left there.

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                          Mojave Cowboy
                          • Mar 2013

Denz -

that looks like a site that is worth checking out again for sure!

- Horace

Comment

• sanpet
                            Mojave Cowboy
                            • Mar 2011

I can not believe that there is so much time with no posts. I like to read new posts and if there are photos it is that much better.

Comment

Working...