• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • konigstigerii
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Dec 2008

Spor Mountian...pretty cool

Thought I would share our trip to Spor mountian with everyone. We left on time Friday and got out around spor mountain area while it was still light. The sun was shinning and it was warm and very nice. Lots of cool looking mountains and rock formations to look at. Here are some pictures of the mountians:

not very many pictures, but the area is really beautiful imho.

First mine we came across was a pit mostly, and had tunnels in the sides, but we didn't go in it as we forgot the rappelling gear, but brought the rope.

First mine we checked out, we were excited to go in this one!

We reached the end fairly quickly... no more than 100 feet in. It went down, but we didn't have the proper climbing gear with us for this mine.

Old bulldozer

Some machinery

Second mine we found:

My friend leading the way

Keeps on going.. the walls were very sparkly in some areas:

Where this tunnel ended...looked like a shute for ore, took maybe 20 minutes of continuous walking to reach this point, so it was a ways in.

But there was a ladder that went up a long ways:

Some buildings in the area:

Our campsite pictured below was forced upon us. it was starting to get dark and we were looking for somewhere cool to camp, we left spor mountain and headed west, as it started to rain, and the dirt at spor mountain was getting very slimey. I ended up following my buddy, who seemed he had somewhere he wanted to go, going on something that might of been a trail at one time across a valley. Finding nothing I told him lets get back on the main road. On the way back I started to hear weird noises coming from my truck. i stopped and looked at it and everything seemed fine. Kept going, but stopped quickly again cuz I knew something wasn't right. Walked the passenger side and my rear tire was not quite in the right spot, upon inspection, the leaf spring broke. We set up camp as it was getting dark and was now raining. Even though it wasn't a spot we wanted to camp at it was pretty nice.

Part of our view from our camp spot the next day:

Soon as we set up camp, it stopped raining... go figure.

Now that my truck is crippled, we figured this will be our only night out there, so our dinner was intesting. We planned on stew the first night, and moose steak the second. But we started cooking the stew (and drinking) in a dutch oven and decided to start adding stuff, like the moose and carrots, and what not. It turned out extremely good. Though our motor skill at this time were impaired and we each had 4+ plates lol.

The next morning we woke up and cleaned up any garbage we didnt get into our garbage bag and got the fire started again.

Being hungry, and slightly irritated with the cold wind, we decided to cook breakfast (though lunch time by now). It started out as bacon in the dutch oven, but admiring our success from last night, we started to add things. Onions was first, then hot dogs, then potatos. Having only few plates left over from the night before, and unable to locate the bread we brought, we used the tortillas we brought and made a bacon-cheese-potato-hot dog-ketchup burrito. It was interesting but quite good.

We managed to work the leaf spring back into where it should be, and strapped the crap out of it to keep it in place, and managed to drive all the way home with no issues with the leaf spring. Even though it was rigged up to work we decided to go home anyways, and it was windy, cold and raining, and my truck was going to limit greatly what we could do.

In conclusion this area was really cool, and we had a ton of fun (we always do ) and we will be going back really soon as this trip was poorly prepared and cut short. There are a ton of mines on that mountain we were unable to look at in the time we were there. There appears to be an active mine still there, but we didn't check it out. The leaf spring, upon inspection, was broken for some time, there being rust most of the way into the crack (I wonder if that ton of coal I hauled a few times before caused that? lol), the heavy load I had and the flexing I was doing was the final straw. I will have an extra leaf added when I fix it. I have learned again, that we need better organization of our food and supplies, we brought most of our stuff, but was packed kind of in haste. I honestly just think we were all very excited to go, and rushed our packing.

We have plans to make, or get, a trailer for camping, not necessarily with beds, but just organized storage, and possibly stoves and other stuff like that. Have something with no set up time, so we can be extremely mobile in our camping trips, as we like to do. My buddy has a rolling trailer frame we may make into one, then we also have a tiny camping trailer we have, but need to fix it up and clean it big time (was on land we bought and was abandoned for some time, though it still has all the windows surprisingly)

But we will be going back out there really soon!
  • UnderUtah
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Great post and write-up. We just found out on our Tecopa California trip just how important checking your vehicle and supplies is! I had a u-joint nearly fail and required replacement in Vegas and we somehow forgot bread for lunches for our entire group.... You never know what is going to happen!
    Miah
    Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Derek
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2008

Spor Mountain is a great place to explore. Last time I was out there we saw a pair of Great Horned Owls, which was pretty sweet. The Brush-Wellman mine is on the west side of the mountain and is active. The other operations on the east side of the mountain are questionable as to whether any work has been done in awhile.
      -Derek
      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• konigstigerii
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Dec 2008

Yeah we packed in haste a bit, but the leaf failure would of been hard to detect. Thats where being able to rig stuff to work is a good skill. I was wanting to put another leaf in because how my truck was sagging, but didn't think it would fail this time.

The mines we went in were on the east side, and on one road there was a gate across the road, with a lock, looked relatively kinda new... but there were no signs what so ever we saw, or fences so who knows whats going on there. Lots of four-wheeler track went around the gate, so I bet the owner hasn't been there in a long time. I couldn't see any newer stuff just rusted equipment (bus and a tow truck) over there, but never got a chance to go over.

Looking on google earth I keep seeing more and more stuff I would like to investigate. There are also supposed to be mines in the drum mountains which isn't far. Topaz mountain I read has a mine, but I am unable to find any info on it.

In march I think is when we plan on going back out there, but will we probably have another vehicle and a trailer to organize our stuff much much better.

Comment

• cherokeepilot85
          Mojave Teen
          • Apr 2009

What was the name of the second mine you visited in the pictures?
          - Craig

Comment

• Stuart
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

I have been in that second mine, but didn't go up the ladder due to time restraints. Another one to add to the list of places I need to finish exploring. I don't know the name off the top of my head, but I can look it up.
            -Stuart Burgess
            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
            Burgess Exploration LLC
            http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
            Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• cherokeepilot85
              Mojave Teen
              • Apr 2009

Thanks Stuart, we have been in the first mine in the photos and were disappointed that it wasn't very big. The rest of the immediate surroundings with the pits and holes made it look like a pretty extensive mine. At least what we were able to explore without repelling gear was not very extensive.
              If you can find the name of the second mine pictured that would be great but even if you could just give me the coordinates that would be perfect.
              - Craig

Comment

• Stuart
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

The Dell Mine

Lat: 39°44'56.89"N
                Lon: 113°10'33.65"W
                -Stuart Burgess
                Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• lobster68w
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Miner
                  • Dec 2008

I wonder how much snow is out there now?

Maybe I'll make a drive out tomorrow to scope things out. I've been out that way before. There are some neat things for sure.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Stuart
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

Let us know how the snow is, I'd like to finish up out there before DOGM has their way with all those mines.
                    -Stuart Burgess
                    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                    Burgess Exploration LLC

Comment

• cherokeepilot85
                      Mojave Teen
                      • Apr 2009

Thanks Stuart and Lobster68w I would be interested in knowing about the conditions out there too. We are wanting to make a camping trip out there soon.
                      - Craig

Comment

• sanpet
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Mar 2011

I was there just last week. Very interesting place. I did not see any mining or anything like that happening. The west side is very active with the Brush mining. But that is always the case there. I did see a few rock hounds doing there thing. Went to Joy and things are happening there. It looks like the Ibex and Black Boy are maybe getting ready for some work. Just west of Joy there is a mining clame that people are working. They have been doing a lot of blasting and cat work. It looks like it could be a big mine. BTW dos anyone have any photos of inside the mines on the east side of the Spors?

Comment

• Brahmabull1018
                          Mojave Cowboy
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by sanpet
                          I was there just last week. Very interesting place. I did not see any mining or anything like that happening. The west side is very active with the Brush mining. But that is always the case there. I did see a few rock hounds doing there thing. Went to Joy and things are happening there. It looks like the Ibex and Black Boy are maybe getting ready for some work. Just west of Joy there is a mining clame that people are working. They have been doing a lot of blasting and cat work. It looks like it could be a big mine. BTW dos anyone have any photos of inside the mines on the east side of the Spors?
                          Could you tell whether some of these mines are still open, or are they all reclaimed and blasted?
                          Pale Death beats equally at the poor man's gate and at the palaces of Kings.

- Horace

Comment

• MxDenz
                            Mojave Child
                            • Aug 2013

sanpet - Was there any snow left there last week? I was just thinking about taking a trip down there, but there's a few places I wanted to get to, but it would be difficult if there is still snow up in the mountains. I've been out there before, and there's a lot to see. Fun place to explore.

Comment

• sanpet
                              Mojave Cowboy
                              • Mar 2011

There is no snow in the valley's. The foot hills road's might be muddy.

Comment

Working...