X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Rope training

I have always had an interest in old mines, mine sites, and the history that surrounds them. Up until recently I have never questioned the "Stay out and stay alive" philosophy that was drilled into me by my parents and public information commercials. I limited my activities to reading, 4x4 trips to mine sites, and photography. Then I found Mojave Underground....

Exploring the insides of the mines has completely changed my interest in old mines. I really enjoy exploring the inner workings and seeing where the men toiled at their efforts. The surface structures are interesting, but the mines were the reason that everything else existed.

As I am starting to explore mines in the local area, I realize just how limited I am by not being able to use ropes to gain access to various areas of the mines that I want to see. When I was in college I did quite a bit of climbing with friends from school. I was never became a good climber, but I did have a good working knowledge of knots, basic rigging, rappelling, belaying, ect. That said, it's been a LONG time since I did any rope activities.

In preparation for renewing my skills (and learning new ones), I purchased the National Speleological Society's book, "On Rope". I have to say that I'm very impressed with the contents of the book and how well written it is. There are a ton of books written on climbing, but caving and mine exploring are quite different from rock climbing and warrant specialized training. This book is filled with clear explanations and great illustrations. The book is focused on readers without technical climbing experience but would be a good read for those who have more experience and want to make certain that they are using proper technique.

The book covers all of the topics you would expect, including how to set up your personal gear. (great information for new explorers). One chapter that I really am impressed with is the chapter on Training. It lays out a training plan that specifies the various skills and techniques that a caver (or mine explorer) should know at basic, intermediate, and advanced levels.

True to it's roots when caving gear was hard to find and often had to be home made, throughout the book are sections called "Home Workshops" where they show you how to make or assemble your gear.

My only complaint about the book is that it's getting a bit old. The last revision was in 1996 so there may be technique changes or hardware advances that aren't included in this book. That said, if you are thinking about learning how to use ropes in an underground environment, this is a great book.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Since I'm writing about books, there's another book that may interest some of you. The book is named "Life on a Line" and is a discussion of the specialized topic of underground rescue. As you would expect, the book assumes the reader to be an experienced caver who wants to step up to the next level of training. That said, it is filled with great information on all aspects of underground rope technique. Where it departs from most instructional guides is that it focuses on the special techniques, equipment, and "best practices".

For anyone who has ventured into technical rope work, there seem to be an infinite number of knots. This manual presents a basic series of knots that are suited for underground rescue work. If you need to learn knots anyway, why not learn these? Along with each knot is a discussion of how it should be tied and where it should (and should not) be used.

Although the sections on medical care, stokes, and specialized rigging required for lifting a victim and medical attendant may not be interesting to all of you, the book is filled with really good information. I'm a believer in the idea that the more information you have tucked way in your brain, the better decision you will make in every-day choices. Rather than thinking, "Yeah, this anchor should hold us." You may very well decide, "I'll just add a backup anchor right there in case the first one fails."

As an interesting side note, the book is written by a British author. In the UK, mine exploration is much more mainstream among cavers so there are references to mine rescues throughout the book. There are also a number of photographs where they show various techniques in a mine environment.

The book is available in printed from or as a PDF download. You can find it here: Life on a Line At $14.95 the price is right.

Joanne
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

Working...