My son - and hiking buddy - shipped out yesterday...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

My son - and hiking buddy - shipped out yesterday...

...to begin his four-year (minimum) career in the United States Marine Corps.

Yeah... I miss him.

I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...
  • Mike369
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Sep 2010

OOH-RAH! That is great. He is going to love it. Well after he gets done with boot camp he'll love it. I have been in the USMC reserves for 12 years and love doing it. What is his MOS (job) going to be? I'm glad kids are still patriotic enough to defend their country. You should be proud, it takes a great man to raise a great son.
    Semper Fidelis

Comment

• acidman1968
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Mike369
      OOH-RAH! That is great. He is going to love it. Well after he gets done with boot camp he'll love it. I have been in the USMC reserves for 12 years and love doing it. What is his MOS (job) going to be? I'm glad kids are still patriotic enough to defend their country. You should be proud, it takes a great man to raise a great son.
      Semper Fidelis
      His MOS is "Small Arms Repairer Technician". And yes, I am extremely proud of him and his decision to join the Marines! Honestly, I don't know exactly where he got the idea to go into the military, but I know he'll do good.
      I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Danb
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Sep 2009

Mike is right on!

Having served 10 years in the Utah Army National Guard I can tell you your son will be on one heck of an adventure. Going places, doing things, seeing things that most people don’t. Hopefully not combat. And he’ll get to shoot some awesome weapons.

On his first morning, around 4:00 AM he will wake up to a Drill Sergeant banging garbage can lids to wake everyone up. And the thought “What did I get myself into” will go through his head. Then later in life he will know the felling “ Basic training is something I’m glad I did but wouldn’t want to do again”. His service to the country will be a very good asset to any job resume.

God bless your son & family and may he return safe and sound.

Danb
        We do it underground and under water.
        Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• Joanne
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jul 2009

I'm sure you'll miss him a lot! It's tough when your children grow up and set out on their own life. I didn't understand what my parents went through when I left for college. I sure do now.

My son is planning on joining the military next summer after he graduates from high school. It's what he's wanted to do since he was little. I'll worry every day, but know that he is doing what he has always dreamed of.

Anyway, pass along my thanks to your son for his service to our country! I appreciate my freedom and know that it comes as a high price. Those who put themselves in harm's way to protect our freedom and ensure our safety (military, fire, police) have my enduring gratitude.

Joanne
          Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• silverstate55
            Mojave Teen
            • Oct 2010

Semper Fi to a new member of our extended family; he will learn skills that will help him through life as well as learn more about himself than he ever would doing anything else.

May he have a safe & rewarding enlistment, and may he return safely to you when his contract (as long as that may last) is up.

Warren
            silverstate55
            USMC: Sgt (E-5) 1985-1992

Comment

Working...