Clear All
  • Danb
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Sep 2009

RV Park in Ophir

All,

Question about the RV park in Ophir.

When we visited Ophir late last summer and found out about MU, we also saw the RV Park at the end of town. Is it a private park or a town park? Is there a contact for reservations? Now that Ophir is ATV friendly, we might like to spend a week there and explore the area again. I want to go up and over to Silverado Canyon and I see if I can find the locations that Centruion Mines had there drill rigs and pass on the info to Dino. I think I know where they where but without seeing the sites I can’t be sure. And after Stuarts meet-up email. I’m thinking my fiancés grand children will enjoy the outing and history of Ohpir as I did as a child. I still remember my dad taking us there in the late 60’s.

Thanks,
    Dan
    We do it underground and under water.
    Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

• btay801
    Mojave Teen
    • Jul 2009

Dan,

I haven't ever stayed there, but it seems very popular come summer time. But there are some "free" sites just further up the road with fire rings and picnic tables. They were put in last spring i think. I stayed there last September for one of the Ophir meetups. Hope that helps.

Comment

• Derek
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2008

It is a town park, but I don't know who you contact for reservations.
      -Derek
      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Dino
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Jan 2009

Dan,

The best person to contact about the RV park would be the Mayor Walt Shubert. I think his number is 435-882-0603. Since your interested in helping me locate some old drill sites I would be happy to help in finding you accomodations in Ophir. I know a couple of people that live in Ophir year round and could start asking about bringing in an RV. I 'm also planning on attending the family campout in May as well.

Dino

Comment

• Danb
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Sep 2009

Dino,

Thanks for the contact info. I have a 33 ft trailer and a crew cab long bed truck. I don’t want to go where I can’t turn around. We will probably pull into the parking area just at the turn off to Ophir at the May campout and ATV it from there. You should see what I have to do to get it into my placer mining claim in Idaho. But that’s all part of the adventure. After studding the topo map of Silverado Canyon, I’m just guessing that the drill rigs where at these two locations: N 40° 21’ 00” W 112° 13’58” and N 40° 21’ 00 W 112° 14’21” . But I can’t be sure until get back up there. There is a program, USA Photo Maps. It has some old satellite imagery that shows cuts to make flat spots to support a drill rig. Maybe this will help. With the light snow pack this year, maybe I can make it up there on the ATV in May at the camp out and get more accurate GPS data.

Dan
          We do it underground and under water.
          Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

Working...