• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark1955
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Dec 2008

Feds offer Utah $4M to seal up abandoned mines

This is interesting! I wonder if these funds will be miss-used to close up other than coal mines...
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Feds offer Utah $4M to seal up abandoned mines
    by Thomas Burr

The Salt Lake Tribune

Updated: 12/22/2009 03:45:05 PM MST

Washington » Utah could get more than $4 million to help seal abandoned coal mines in the state, an increase of more than $500,000 from last year, the Interior Department announced Tuesday.

The state has about 500 mines, most with multiple openings, that already have been closed. But officials can now revisit those mines to do more environmental cleanup and more tightly shutter them, says Lucia Malin, the program administrator for the Utah Abandoned Mine Reclamation Program.

The funds -- paid through fees on operating coal mines -- cannot go toward other non-coal mines; the state has about 17,000 abandoned mines, Malin says.

Interior says it upped funding nationwide for sealing the mines by $70 million this year to $369 million available to states with abandoned coal mines. Utah will apply for its funds early next year, Malin said.

tburr@sltrib.com
  • rhartill
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

More on DOI funding...

Here's the DOI press release:

The claim of thousands of new jobs is ridiculous...

Strangely, the OSM press release says $2M is earmarked for UT, not $4M...

Do check out this press release which extends the public comment period for oversight of this program:

BTW, UT is an uncertified State (meaning we haven't cleaned up all our coal yet) so non-coal reclamation activities are limited as follows:

uncertified States and Indian tribes could use AML grant funds on noncoal projects only to abate extreme dangers to public health, safety, general welfare, and property that arose from the adverse effects of mineral mining and processing and only at the request of the Governor or the governing body of the Indian tribe. 30 U.S.C. 1239.

Meaning, quite simply, that only EXTREME non-coal dangers can be mitigated, and only if it resulted from the ADVERSE effects of mining, and ONLY if the Governor requests it! lots of areas in which to challenge any use of royalties to "shutter" noncoal properties...

Comment

• Mark1955
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Dec 2008

Well, we certainly don't have to worry about Herbert making a proper request do we???? I just hope the DOGM doesn't talk the certain Government officials into letting the DOGM use it for other closure purposes. Other then the "still open" coal mine over by Thompson I don't know of any real hazardous coal related places that are not kept locked up tighter than a drum... although there may be a few I'm not familiar with.

Mark

Comment

• RockRacer
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Dec 2008

I just saw this on KSL and was going to post it. Glad to see you guys are on it. Not good for the MU and the history of Utah, that's for sure.
        Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• RockRacer
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Dec 2008

Minor Update:

MINOR UPDATE:

Utah to grab $4M for sealing abandoned mines
          December 23rd, 2009 @ 7:39pm
          SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- The federal government says it will offer Utah more than $4 million to seal abandoned mines.

State officials say they get the money every year by applying for it.

Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar announced the funding levels Tuesday.

Utah has an estimated 17,000 abandoned mines.

Regulators say they don't know how long it will take, but they plug 200 to 300 old mines a year and say they'll probably never finish the job because they keep finding more whenever they look.

Salazar announced a total of $369 million for the program this year. He says closing old mines provides thousands of well-paying jobs in economically depressed coal-mining areas.

Wyoming qualifies for the most money, more than $117 million, according to Salazar's office.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
          Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

Working...