• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Stockton fenced off

It looks like Kennecott either leased or bought the land outside of Stockton in southport canyon and has put a fence up around the whole thing. If anyone wants to do any exploring to the tip top mine or others I would suggest getting it done ASAP before they move in and start their operation.
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team
  • Troy
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Mar 2009

That really sucks. Doesn't that area include the honerine? I was wheeling up there 2 years ago and spoke to a geologist who worked for kennecot and said that kennecott owned all of the surrounding area. He was in the canyon just north east of the parking lot we meet at to drive up to hidden treasure.
    Troy E.

Comment

• TooeleCherokee
      Mojave Teen
      • Jan 2009

I just noticed it was fenced off on Sunday myself.. Honerine is up in that area that is closed off for sure.. I don't know if the area is fully encompased or not but it sucks for sure

Comment

• Derek
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2008

I'm going to check it out when I get a minute.
        -Derek
        Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• KDT1970
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Sep 2009

Did u go to the base of the mine? I am wondering cuz I was just up there a week ago and there was a lot of fencing but not right around that small gully into that particular mine area.

Comment

• lobster68w
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Dec 2008

I was up there alot this summer. There was a guy living in a trailer, just west (down the canyon) of the Honerine. Not sure what that was about. I also noticed that they started surveying and putting up stakes everywhere. I assumed it might have been part of the closures, but I guess not. Hopefully, there is time to get into the Honerine one last time!

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• KDT1970
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Sep 2009

I wantto go up there as soon as it warms back up. so hopefully it will be open still.

Comment

• Derek
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jul 2008

I didn't actually go up to the mines, so I am hoping that they are still open.

Here is a pic that shows the signs:

-Derek
                Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mark1955
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Dec 2008

Rumor has it that Kennicott would like to connect the Bingham Canyon Mine to the Bauer Tunnel for drainage. I have heard this from several people including my brother in law who works for Kennicott. Seems somewhat outlandish to me. Also, the cyon north of where the Honerine is at is heavily contaminated with lead to it's probably a ditto on that for the Honerine area.

Mark

Comment

• KDT1970
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Sep 2009

yea, we seen those signs when we went up there too.
                    we just followed the roads around them. it seems as though these fences are just like 1 acre plots but they were not close to the mine at all. you just have to take the long way around to get to the mines, but it isnt really a long way at all just over and around a hill.

Comment

• Derek
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mark1955
                      Rumor has it that Kennicott would like to connect the Bingham Canyon Mine to the Bauer Tunnel for drainage. I have heard this from several people including my brother in law who works for Kennicott. Seems somewhat outlandish to me. Also, the cyon north of where the Honerine is at is heavily contaminated with lead to it's probably a ditto on that for the Honerine area.

Mark
                      ??? How in the crap do they plan on doing this? That mine is quite a distance from the Bauer Tunnel.
                      -Derek
                      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mark1955
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Outlaw
                        • Dec 2008

I would assume they'd pump it over to the Bauer...

Comment

Working...