• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Tracts of Nevada lands closed to mining

BLM banning mining on 1,500 square miles in Nevada

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- The Bureau of Land Management is imposing a mineral mining ban across almost 1,500 square miles of federal land in southern Nevada to protect cultural, historic and wildlife sites.

BLM official Patrick Putnam in Las Vegas said Friday the 20-year ban on new mining claims covers nearly 945,000 acres in 24 separate sites dubbed Areas of Critical Environmental Concern.

He says valid existing mining claims aren't affected.

The sites were identified in 1998 for protection of endangered desert tortoise, southwestern willow flycatcher, woundfin and Virgin River chub, and others species.

A mining ban was temporarily imposed in 2002, and hearings were held on extending the withdrawal in January 2008.

The action becomes official when it is published in the Federal Register on Sunday.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • UnderUtah
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Who, WHO I ask will protect the Virgin River Chub? The BLM will!!!
    Miah
    Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Chub?!?! Chub are trash fish! I believe back in the 90s, the entire Strawberry reservoir was poisoned, killing absolutely all living thing, simply because they wanted to get rid of chubs. Didn't work, (cuz they are trash fish...) but now they want to protect them?
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mark1955
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Dec 2008

Come on Mike... would you actually expect anything that is done by the BLM to have been a sane decision????

Comment

• rhartill
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jun 2008

This BLM?:

Bureau of Land Management employees appeared to be "less than objective" and created the potential for illegal behavior when coordinating with environmental groups over the National Landscape Conservation System, the Interior inspector general has found.

Bureau of Land Management employees appeared to be "less than objective" and created the potential for illegal behavior when ...

Banning mining over 1500 square miles of Southern Nevada has got to be the worst idea the BLM has come up with. The desert is about to become the exclusive playground of enviros, no others need to even try to use or visit the desert. And for 20 years, a whole generation will be used to the idea of mining being something done elsewhere. In 30 years the desert will be ready to be declared a wilderness area...

Comment

Working...