• Show
Clear All
  • CaverStretch
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Oct 2008

John Lyon - A great Caver

JOHN LYON
    John Forsberg Lyon 1930 ~ 2009 John Forsberg Lyon embarked on his next great adventure on October 15, 2009 following a long and courageous battle with lung cancer. John was born in Salt Lake City, Utah on June 20, 1930 to T. Edgar and Hermana F. Lyon, the second of six sons. He faithfully served a LDS mission to Samoa as a young man and years later served again in Samoa with his beloved sweetheart. He enlisted in the US Army and was stationed in Germany. John married his eternal companion, Carole Bernice Elsmore, on September 5, 1957 in the Salt Lake Temple. He graduated with a Bachelor's degree from the University of Utah and a Masters degree from Brigham Young University. He taught English at Hillcrest High School and later became the librarian for a total of 36 years. He owned and operated J. Lyon Color Studio. John was an active member of the LDS church and faithfully served in many church callings. He led and accompanied the young men on many high adventures. He especially enjoyed his opportunities to serve at the Coventry at Cottonwood Heights. John maintained a youthful enthusiasm for adventure and exploration throughout his life. His curiosity always led him to discover what was around the next corner. His adventures included a lifetime of caving, camping, hiking, fishing, bicycling, and boating at Lake Powell. He helped discover and explore Neff's Cave. He and his son Alan rode their bikes from Salt Lake to Sacramento. John exemplified hard work and frugality throughout his life. He is a rare individual who developed friendships that lasted a lifetime. His close relationship with his five brothers is particularly notable. John is survived by his beloved companion of 52 years, Carole Lyon, and their five children: Bruce (Kathy) Lyon, Susan (Bill) Scott, Nancy (Joe) Bradbury, Laura (Mark) Bilanzich, and Alan (Lonie) Lyon; and brothers David, Ted, Lynn, and Jamie Lyon. His posterity includes 21 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents and brother Laurie Lyon. A viewing will be held at 6:00-8:00 pm on Monday, Oct. 19, 2009 at Mountain View Memorial Mortuary, 3115 E. 7800 S. Funeral services will be held at 11:00 am, Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2009 at the Cottonwood Heights 2nd Ward chapel, 6890 S. 2225 E., Cottonwood Heights. Friends may call from 9:30-10:45 a.m. prior to services. Interment will be at the Mountain View cemetery. The family extends appreciation to Dr. Akerley and staff from Huntsman and Heidi from Summit Hospice for their tender loving care. We love you forever, our husband, father, grandfather, and friend. We will meet again! Online Condolences: www.memorialutah.com
    Robert Cranney
    Mojave Mine Team
    The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."
  • Danb
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Sep 2009

John Lyon

What a small world! I grew up across the street from the Lyon's. As a little boy, I remember him telling me and my dad about his caving adventures. I don't remember any details, but maybe he lit the spark in me to go underground. I remember him as a very nice man.
    Thanks for the post.
    Dan Burdette
    We do it underground and under water.
    Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

Working...