• Show
Clear All
  • Skylinerider
    Mojave Teen
    • Nov 2008

Tooele County Road Meeting

Tooele County Road Closures

We need your help

Tooele County is in the process of vacating some public roads. These roads are in the Ophir Mountains and some of these roads provide valuable mountain top access.

Tooele County will be holding a meeting to decide whether or not to formally abandon these roads. We need a large turnout for this meeting to show the County Commissioners that the public does not want them giving away roads that belong to all the citizens of Tooele County.

Meeting Details

Date: September 1st, 2009
    Time: 3:00 pm
    Address: 47 S. Main Street, Room #210
    Tooele, UT 84074

It is particularly important that we have residents of Tooele County at this meeting. Let your elected officials know that you do not support them giving away your roads.

Some of the roads in question are; The Bald Mountain Loop Road, Hartman Gulch Road, Halls Basin Road, South Fork Ophir Canyon Road and Rover Hill Road. If you use these roads, your information on what you use these roads for and any photos you have of people using these roads could be very useful.
    www.drycanyonmaps.com
  • TooeleCherokee
    Mojave Teen
    • Jan 2009

I will see you there

Comment

• John
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Oct 2008

I'm betting this news article explains what's going on. At least a little bit.

Oquirrh Mountain ski resort

I suspect the county is now blinded by big dollar signs & has already made-up their minds to give away public interests in the name of high tax brackets & tourism money. Then again we all know I tend to be a bit cynical about trusting our public officials.

Comment

• Mike
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

Great. Not another ski resort.
        -Fish
        Mojave Mine Team
        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mikezauner
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Jun 2008

But I thought everyone here loved skiing enough to give up a couple of disused roads and access ways to dusty dangerous old mines in trade!
          Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

• Dino
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Jan 2009

Interesting! I'll plan on going just to see what is going on. I first read the article about the roads being vacated two weeks ago and was chuckling to myself about how the county is closely working with landowners on the issue. I have two roads going through my patented mine claim in Ophir and the news article was the first I've heard of the issue. One of four access roads to my claim (via Mercur) has already been closed by Barrick and since then I've had no success in getting access through that road. Unfortunately it is probably one of the best access points. I personally don't mind letting the public use the roads on my property, but do understand why other property owners are concerned with the increased ATV pressure in the area. I think it's great that MU has always sought permission from mine owners to do the excellent mine preservation seminars held in Ophir. I'm just a little curious on who is requesting the county vacate and how that will affect MU. As always, I support MU and hope to be of assistance in providing access.

Dino

Comment

• Derek
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jul 2008

Crap I'll be at work. Let us know how it goes.
              -Derek
              Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mark1955
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Dec 2008

I drove up to see a friend at the KSL transmitter saite on Farnsworth peak a couple weeks ago and that area would make a good ski area. Fortunately I also think it's a number fo years off because of the stale economy.

Mark

Comment

Working...