• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TooeleCherokee
    Mojave Teen
    • Jan 2009

Mines and Ghosts?

Just for fun..

So I just read the White Boots story in the introduction section as well as the Poker Miner Ghosts and was wondering what everyone's take is on ghosts in mines or in Mining Towns etc.. Got any story's personal experiences etc? its a bunch of hogswallop Anyone heard of any Ghosts on Kennecott property such as the Arthur School (now the Arthur Admin building) ghost? Or as some of the old timers when I worked up there would talk about the weird things that happened at the bottom of the Dump building (Building is now gone (but it was at least 5 stories down) as is the old ore crusher etc )
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Great thread.

Personal stories, Derek and I saw something crazy in the Ophir last year during the filming of 'The Mine". Harley and I were locking up for the night after the film crew left. We locked all his props and artifacts up in the electrical room near the blue room and make sure the lock was tight. We then left and locked the main gate. The next day, Derek and I do some exploring through Stu's Stope and came down the blue vein. As we got to the blue room, we got an eerie, uneasy feeling. We continued down the tunnel and up to the electrical room, which amazingly, was unlocked with the door swung wide open, and the lock unlocked and set on the door. Nothing had been disturbed inside. We locked it back up and left for the day. When we came back the next day to shoot, it was still locked. We cannot explain how that happened.

The HT is also kinda haunted feeling to me. This dark cloud that weighs on you until you leave Jacob City. I personally hear people talking, but others can't. I hear two miners, and old man, confident and deep voiced, and a younger man, not so confident, with a young adult sounding voice. The tones, feelings, and expressions in the voices feel like the older man is instructing the younger man. I can never make out a single word though. I only hear it when I'm alone or with a very small group of people and I sit quietly.

I don't know anything about the Arthur School Ghost. Do you?
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• TooeleCherokee
      Mojave Teen
      • Jan 2009

When I was in College I worked as an EMT/Security guard up at Kennecott, basically got to see all parts of the mountain and go into every building up there mostly at night as I worked from 4- midnight and often pulled doubles after midnight.
      Garfield Utah was actually 2 different little towns, Garfield where the workers lived and Arthur area where all of the management lived. Thus the School was built in Arthur and is was normally referred to as the Arthur School by old timers but was originally named the Garfield School.
      As a normal part of the job we had to do a physical tour of the buildings one of these was the Arthur Admin building (formerly known as the Arthur School) The common story was that during the early years of the school one of the female teachers fell down the stairs and died (some said she was helped some didn't). It was about 1AM and I unlocked the door and walked in and headed down the hall to the stairs to go upstairs and make sure everything was secure. about 20 feet away from the stairs I was in the middle of the hall I heard? footsteps running up behind me and then going past me on the left causing all of the papers that we tacked to the wall to blow around but didn't see anyone. I started looking around to see if the heaters had come on or something but it dawned on me that I had seen radiators in every room so forced air wasn't in this building. I started walking back down to the doors to see if the door had swung open or something and the lights turned on and started to flicker randomly up and down the hallway. At this point I decided I was done and left locking the door behind me. As soon as I locked the door the lights turned off.

Talking to others later this would be a nice experience of nighttime in that building. Don't know what the deal was but it did creep me out.

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

Wow great stories, there has been some talk about getting some paranormal investigators down into the Hidden Treasure to take a look around. Any luck on that Jeff?
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Jeff
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Nov 2008

Actually I will know tomorrow if a date i asked about will be doable for them, from what i understand they are very busy people. They were just at the Mercur cemetery and have very interesting things to say about paranormal activity at that particular location. They believe a small child may be haunting the cemetery among other things they have seen and heard.
          Jeff
          Mojave Mine Team
          Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• Mr.Irksome
            Mojave Child
            • Aug 2009

I don't have any personal ghost experiences, but I can say this. I used to visit the mines in Ophir alot before I went on a mission in 2001. My buddies and I would have alot of fun exploring them Then the last time I went with my friends was in the summer of 2000 we had alot of fun then and there was no bad experiences. But after that Whenever we talked about going back, we all had a terrible uneasy feeling about it. We all agreed that we felt the same way and never went again.
            It wasn't till this summer that we decided to go back and re-explore them, only to find our favorite entrance is now blocked off.
            That might sound paranoid but I trust my feelings.

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

Which entrance is it that is blocked now?
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mr.Irksome
                Mojave Child
                • Aug 2009

Really it's the only one I knew of at the time that wasn't bared off or other. I don't know if it had a name but the way you would get to it was to drive up the gravel road at the monument right in the center of town. Then once you get parked you would follow a trail around a hillside to it. I was just a hole in the ground up the hill side right off the trail, but when you went in it you saw a nice (Standing room) tunnel with tracks in it that led back about 20-30 feet. That Ended with a rope to a about a 10-15 foot drop into a room full of Iron Pyrite all over the walls. That room led to a huge mine cavern with a hole in the ceiling which let some nice sunlight in. That cavern led to a hole huge network of mine tunnels. Really cool!
                So when I came Back this summer, I found what I believe was the entrance to be filled in by a power shovel. They did a good job at making it look like there was nothing ever there. All you see is dirt work. I also found the hole in the ceiling. They built a huge cement foundation around it a bared it off. I'm pretty sure that that is the hole to the ceiling in the cavern cause there was a metal pipe that went out of it. When I threw rocks down the hole I heard them banging off of metal pipes. I guess its blocked off now. But this time when I was there I found a few other unblocked entrances that I plan to explore.
                I can show you where it was sometime.

Comment

• Derek
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jul 2008

I has to be part of the Ophir Hill mine then. We must take a little trip up there and have a look see.
                  -Derek
                  Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Stuart
                    Administrator
                    True Mojave
                    • Sep 2007

No I don't think it is part of the Ophir Hill, its in an area Mike and I refer to as the "Honeycomb Complex" as there are dozens of entrances in close proximity. When DOGM did the closures up there they took a dozer and turned the whole place upside down. It was a fun area too
                    -Stuart Burgess
                    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                    Burgess Exploration LLC
                    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mr.Irksome
                      Mojave Child
                      • Aug 2009

There are still a few holes left open. I'm hoping some of them will still lead to the same mine. I'm still trying to get some of my buddies to go back and explore them with me.

Comment

Working...