• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joanne
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2009

Closing mines in the name of "safety'

Hi all,

I wrote the following "rant" about a week ago but decided not to post it. This evening I read about the BLM "Inquiry" of Mojave Underground and decided I would go ahead and post it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I posted in my introduction my interest in mines goes back a long way, but I'm new to mine penetration and exploration. I know that I haven't paid my dues and earned the right to write this rant but the libertarian in me wouldn't let me hold it in. I hope you don't mind me posting it.

I'm a believer in personal freedom and the responsibility that comes with that freedom. In that light, here are my thoughts on the risks of mine exploration and closures in the name of "safety".

The Risks of Mine Exploration

There is a movement by governmental agencies to bulldoze or blast closed as many old mines as possible. As with so many things the government does, it is in the name of "pubic safety". Closing the mines will keep some idiots from proving the validity of Darwin's theory, but at what cost? Is there historical value in these old mine works that is worth saving? Do they constitute a recreational resource for those interested in old mines? I say "yes" to both of these questions.

Our society is inexorably moving towards a Nanny State where the government assumes responsibility for protecting the citizens in all aspects of their lives. No activity is immune from the rules and regulations that are implemented by the various agencies that that hold authority over public property and our personal activities. Laws and regulations are enacted to restrict our activities to those that faceless bureaucrats feel are acceptable to participate in. No law or regulation is too draconian if it can "save even one life". There seems to be no understanding of the concepts of freedom, personal responsibility, and assumption of risk.

The current obsession of various government agencies to permanently seal old mines is a prime example of the zeal that these agencies show in trying to protect every person from their own poor judgment. Certainly I understand the argument made for putting a fence around an open shaft so someone doesn't accidentally fall in. But closing every entrance into the earth in the name of "safety" is an intellectually lazy argument.

Many of the hobbies that we enjoy are inherently dangerous to varying degrees. Innocuous hobbies such as skiing or flying have claimed the lives of Sonny Bono and John Denver. Obviously dangerous sports such as mountain climbing, sky diving, and scuba diving claim lives every year. One can make the argument that the inherent risk adds to the excitement of these activities.

I have been a scuba diver since the mid '70s and watched the evolution of the sport through the years. My training and participation as a dive master gave me exposure to the dive industry in ways that most participants don't get. The industry worked hard to balance the risks of diving with the rewards of enjoying this beautiful underwater world. The industry developed training programs that allowed participants to learn to safely participate in scuba diving.

Yet there were those who wanted to go beyond the recreational limits of diving. Diving to deeper depths, diving for extended periods, and diving in underwater caves became quite controversial. Certifying agencies condemned the participants as being reckless and encouraging others to participate in overtly dangerous activities. Still, these individuals continued to explore deep wrecks and long caves. They developed techniques and adapted the use of mixed gasses to meet their needs. Groups of like minded individuals would meet and discuss the "state of the art" of their hobby. Some groups adopted standard methods and techniques that had been proven to be safe and reliable. Still tragedies occurred.

Many died pursuing the activity that they loved. Even some of the most experienced participants pressed the envelope too far and paid the ultimate price. These deaths were tragic, yet lessons were learned, techniques were modified, and equipment was improved. Ever so slowly the technical diving community gained respectability. They transitioned from reckless daredevils to trained, experienced specialty divers. Even some of the certifying agencies reconsidered their position and started to offer training in these areas.

The current reputation of mine explorers is quite similar to that of the early technical divers. Those on the outside see us as being reckless daredevils that are taking our lives in our hands every time that we get near a mine. Of course it doesn't help that any Bubba with a flashlight (or worse, a candle) can go get himself killed and generate a lot of negative press in the process.

It appears that the majority of the active mine explorers understand the assumption of risk, need for good judgment, and development of basic skills and techniques. It also appears that most explorers are sensitive to the preservation of these sites. In place of spray painted names and dates, brochures or personal business cards are left as markers of our journeys. Many of us use our digital cameras to document the mine sites and artifacts we locate. In the not too distant future, these images may be the only reminder that these mines, and the miners who toiled in them, ever existed as bureaucrats go about their business of destroying mines in the name of universal safety.

In the mean time, what does responsible participation in mine exploration look like? Should there be any guidelines or best practices that help new participants avoid a tragic learning curve? Would it make sense to take a basic course in caving, canyoneering, or climbing before heading underground? Are there lessons to be learned from the technical diving community?

So where does this leave the mine exploration community? Are we at the forefront of gaining legitimacy for mine exploration? Or are we just a renegade band of explorers who will remain "underground"? Do we simply go about our sport under the pressure of increasing mine closures? Do we try to have a voice with the decision makers in government? Simply put, this may be a losing battle as the wheels are already in motion that will forever close these portals into mining history. I don't believe that there are any right or wrong answers. Each of us must decide for ourselves.

Maybe I'm over thinking the whole thing...of course, maybe not.

Joanne
    Last edited by Joanne; 11-18-2017, 08:42 PM.
    Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Thank you Joanne for a beautifully written and inspiring letter on mine exploring and the history of mining. I love you analogy to technical diving and the statement "the inherent risk adds to the excitement of these activities." I cannot agree more with your letter. Might I suggest you send it to your State leaders, or even better, Utah's leaders? I'd be happy to supply you with their contact information.

Again, thank you for taking time to post your rant!
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Derek
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2008

Joanne,

Don't worry about paying any "dues" when it comes to such a wonderful and insightful post such as this one. Many of us on here feel the same you do and get very frustrated that the Government has to be so involved in our hobby. I will agree that maybe we don't exactly know where the middle ground lies, but in the meantime we will do our best to educate people to the dangers and rewards of abandoned mine exploration. I figure that the more educated people there are out there the less deaths and injuries there will be for the Government to use against us.
      -Derek
      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• John
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Oct 2008

Very good post.

I too agree, this should be sent to many of our government leaders.

Comment

• Mark1955
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Dec 2008

Definitely send it to all the government leaders you can think of. Very well written and makes a number of very important points.

BTW: Did you all know that golf is statistically more dangerous then scuba... You are more likely to get hit by lightning when golfing than drown doing scuba. My mine exploraion and SCUBA experiences pretty much parallel each other in every respect. I never ran into trouble in either even having done much cave, Ice, and wreck diving going back to the early 70s. Scuba became way too commercialized for me by the mid 80s and I eventually left it for other (more dangerous hobbies) involving riding horses. If exploring mines ever becomes comercialized... oh well... I hope I'm 80 years old by then... too bad for your grand kids though...

Mark

Comment

• Stuart
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

Joanne,

Excellent post! I "stickied" the topic so it will stay at the top of the list. I very much like the parallels and points that you bring up. I do believe that we are on the forefront of gaining legitimacy for mine exploration, just this last year we gained major international recognition for the hobby in Forbes magazine: http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/1110/156.html
            The demand for our "Introduction to Abandoned Mine Exploration" activities has increased exponentially since we began hosting them less than a year ago. More and more of us are getting interested in mine exploration and with the growing interest our strength increases.
            -Stuart Burgess
            Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
            Burgess Exploration LLC
            http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
            Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• UnderUtah
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jun 2008

Let me just mirror the responses to your post and add my thanks for such a thoughtfully crafted perspective. Your example; so well written, should be sent to everyone involved in the current closure campaign as it represents our collective perspective exceptionally well. Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts into words.
              Miah
              Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Joanne
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jul 2009

Thank you all. I am deeply humbled by your responses. I am glad that through those words I have been able to express what many of us feel.

There is a saying that all politics are local. I would gladly send my post to the Utah authorities, but I am afraid that they would fall on deaf ears coming from someone out of state. What I think may be more effective is for some of you to write to your local politicians and the BLM as well. Feel free to include my post if you feel that it conveys what you want to say. Make certain that the politicians know that you are local and a voter. Consider talking to your state senators and representatives to express your feelings about mine closures. Make certain that they are aware that there is more than one side to the issue. I would bet that the majority of your elected officials have no idea that anyone opposes mine closures, much less that there are legitimate reasons not to close them.

Joanne
                Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Mike
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

I know a lot of us have already written almost every State leader that has ears to listen, but I think your letter is quite inspiring and should be shared. Perhaps I can draft up another letter and include yours in it, with your approval before sending, of course. Thanks for the advice. I'd recommend everybody who has not written their state leaders to do so.
                  -Fish
                  Mojave Mine Team
                  MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

Working...