• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derek
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jul 2008

Pic of the day

OK if Mike can't post Stu up on the message board with is head on a woman's body in a bikini, then I say you can't post Stu up there staring out the door of a cabin with his shirt off. P.S. What does that pic have to do with mining anyway??? Hehehe
    -Derek
    Mojave Mine Team
  • CaverStretch
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Oct 2008

I think you are just jelous Derek! Ok, maybe Stu is not the best looking mine explorer out there, after all we do have.....well.....alllow myself to introduce.....am......myslef. Yep.....Me.
    Robert Cranney
    Mojave Mine Team
    The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Well I will have you know... That image was taken in one of the ghost town buildings of the Copper Globe Mine; part of the San Rafael Swell area. The Copper Globe Mine was first opened in the early 1900s when copper was discovered. Unfortunately, the mine was never profitable due to the claims being tied up in court over most its operating life.

Robert, you asked for it...

An excerpt from my SRS inventory last week:

"This is a fairly large copper mine known as “Copper Globe,” (38°48'13.50"N 110°54'37.09"W). There are three vertical shafts and the horizontal adits. The first adit (4230921HO001) is set in sand stone and follows slight incline approximately 50’ until it end unnaturally. Sand and water flow have filled the mine in over time causing it to become impassible. There are no safety hazards, and foot traffic inside the mine shows it to be very well visited. The second adit we visited (4230921HO002) extends into the rock dome approximately 75’, turns south, and continues a short distance. There were also no safety hazards associated with this mine. It also shows significant foot traffic similar to that of HO001. The last adit (4230921HO003) is framed by 2x4”
      boards and held together by screws and nails. Hinges on the frame suggest a door was once present on the mine.

Many buildings and structures are found at the Copper Globe mine site. They include two lodgings, a powder storage, a storage facility, several unknown and fallen structures, and a pile of wood planned for smelting ore during the operation of the mine. Both lodgings had bed frames and beds, various furniture including a broken chair, brooms, clothing, food, eating utensils, and other items used for living by the miners.

A building of note, located on the west side of the globe, is a lodging structure with rock and masonry walls and a dirt roof. It was remodeled by local historical societies by constructing planks and plywood side walls inside the outer walls. There is a rock fireplace in the middle of the building. The interior furniture includes bunk beds, a home-made bed frame, 3 tables, a shelf unit, and shelves stocked with food and eating utensils.

This site is a very popular stop by many visitors. The road to the site can be traversed by any 4x4 or similarly capable vehicle. There are no safety hazards, as the shaft is well fenced, and the adits are short and strong."
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
        True Mojave
        • Jul 2008

LOL, I just had to go look at the photo.

So is Mojave Underground working on a "Men of Mines" calendar these days Might be a good fundraiser opportunity.

PS. Great bumping into you guys last weekend. As luck would have it we bumped into Corey as we got back to camp that evening. Small world.
        Kurt Williams
        CruiserOutfitters.com
        ExpeditionUtah.com
        MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

We also passed you on I-70 heading westbound and you and your posy were hauling down that dirt road that takes you to the Lucky Strike area. Too funny.

The photo of the day is now gone, it being a new day and all... For those jumping in to this non-sense thread, the original photo can be viewed HERE.

Men of Mines... hrm... interesting... Will have to talk to the chief about that one! How about a little teaser?
          -Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
            True Mojave
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mike
            ...Men of Mines... hrm... interesting... Will have to talk to the chief about that one! How about a little teaser?

More importantly, is that Miah I see on Stuarts shirt
            Kurt Williams
            CruiserOutfitters.com
            ExpeditionUtah.com
            MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• John
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Oct 2008

Don't think my belly will fit in the calendar and would destroy all possibilities of fund raising anyway.

Comment

• Mike
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

As a matter of fact, that IS Miah on stu's shirt! We all have KRAFTY shirts, with the main Krafty Man at the center.

-Fish
                Mojave Mine Team
                MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

Working...