What do you usually wear while in the mine or cave?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • offroadcmpr
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Feb 2009

What do you usually wear while in the mine or cave?

I usually just wore jeans and an old sweatshirt or something like that, but I would like to try something else. I was thinking of a lightweight jacket that would be durable. I was looking at something made by carhartt. But everything I looked at would be too thick. When the mine is only 50 degrees I would over heat too easily. So I looked at some old BDU jackets like this but they all seem too expensive for something that I would just get dirty and abuse. So I started looking for something cheaper that would be similar and found this. Do you think that a army style jacket would be worth the extra money, or would the other shirt be fine? I would want it so that I could just put it over a t-shirt when I go in a mine or cave and then take it off again once I get outside.

Part of the reason I am looking at it is because I am thinking of going on a caving trip in a couple of weeks and since I am at college I don't really have any of my grubby workwear that I can wear so I am looking for something else. I would probably wear underarmour underneath to keep warm in the winter time, but during the summer I would not need it.

So what do you think? Is there something else I should look at? What do you usually wear?

Thanks.
  • Mikezauner
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Jun 2008

I historically always wore jeans and a t-shirt into a cave since a sweat shirt was always too hot, plus I was usually out in the new mexico desert and didn't feel like lugging a sweat shirt around in 115F temperatures.

A number of people have jumpsuits that work extremely well. I got mine at Cal Ranch store in American Fork for like $30 (don't remember the exact price, but it was definitely reasonable).
    Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

• offroadcmpr
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Feb 2009

From what I understand the jumpsuits tend to be warmer than a regular shirt and such. Usually for a mine I am ok with a t-shirt as I am not usually crawling on my belly like in a cave. But stuff still gets dirty.

Comment

• Mikezauner
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Jun 2008

Yeah, the jumpsuit can get to be unbearably hot at times, but the cloth on it's thick enough to protect me better than bare arms would, especially considering my klutzy tendencies.
        Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

• Mike
          Administrator
          True Mojave
          • Sep 2007

Always wear my MU coveralls. I'll change what I wear underneath it, depending on the temperature. Short sleeve tshirt and shorts / light jeans when its warm, and sweater, thermal jeans when its cold. No matter what I wear underneath, when the coveralls come off, I'm clean

I also wear my Camp Armor helmet with 5 mounted lights

Backpack and rock hammer are also usually part of my get up.
          -Fish
          Mojave Mine Team
          MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Dwayne27
            Mojave Teen
            • Dec 2008

I generally wear cheap walmart sweat pants, and either a cheap sweater, or long sleeve T shirt. Temperature will dictact how many layers I were underneath it. I have other outdoor hobbies that are extremely rough on clothes, so there is no sense in buying something expensive.

Although I must say, for mines and caves, I do want to get one of those snazzy coverall jumpsuits. Like Mike said, as long as you dont wear anything thick underneath- I am sure you'd be fine with the warmer temps

Comment

• Mark1955
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Dec 2008

If unplanned I wear what ever I have on at the time if I want to go in. I'm not afraid to sacrifice even a decent pair of clothes to be able to crawl into a new never before been seen by me mine. Planned outings you'll usually find me in old blue jeans, t-shirt, and boots... booth height based on outside temperature!! But always steel toe and steel shank in the sole. Otherwise I always carry a helmet, three lights other than the helmet light, and rock hammer and bucket where ever I go. I even carry this stuff in my work service van since I seem to visit so many cool places. I always carry a first aid and a snake bite kit (for what it's worth). A friend was bitten once several years ago and it messed him up for the better part of a year because he didn't get prompt medical attention!!

Mark

Comment

Working...