• Show
Clear All
  • CaverStretch
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Oct 2008

Head Lamp

Greetings all my fellow explorers,
    I am going to upgrade my headlamp before the CA trip. I was curious what everyone uses and what is recomended. I am looking for something that is bright, has a battery that is on the helmet (no cord), variable power levels for brightness, and long battery life. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Robert
    Robert Cranney
    Mojave Mine Team
    The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."
  • UnderUtah
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

Well now, as you know I have a few ! The Sten Light that is now my backup has the little rechargeable pack attached to the back of my helmet and is pretty nice on it's own, offering a number of different intensities and corresponding run times. It is waterproof, totally sealed magnetic switch, etc. but carries a hefty price tag ($300) Ouch... My first prototype is the three emitter (1 W each) unit I use as my primary. It runs on a 4C Pack I carry in a pocket (Corded) so it can be a pain... It has proven extremely reliable despite it's poor engineering and machining . Runtime is about 4 hours. Derek and I are prototyping a Sten knock-off looking prototype (two emitters) with an external rechargable pack (that would be carried remotely due to it's size.) This should produce something like 400 Lumens (Correct me Derek) and runtimes have not been determined yet. It would also have several intesnity settings. HOPING to have a unit or two cranked-out before the CA trip (We will see...!)

These other wacky kids are using Petzl Myo XP's, excellent lights with attached battery packs and all the bells and whistles. Stu has a Pan-Asian import super bright spotter from DealExtreme.com, a geat spotter light but DealExtreme still owes me a few parts backordered from over three months ago so I don't know if I am comfortable endorsing them...
    Miah
    Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Derek
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2008

400 lumens should be about right. Dealextreme has a lumen meter for $28 if I could bring myslef to spend that money on one and then we could measure any light and get a true reading.
      -Derek
      Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

lights

These other wacky kids are using Petzl Myo XP's, excellent lights with attached battery packs and all the bells and whistles. Stu has a Pan-Asian import super bright spotter from DealExtreme.com, a geat spotter light.
        Wacky Kid #1 right here, endorsing yet again the amazing Petzl Myo XP. I hear they are to be had for a very reasonable price now days. I do love my Pan Asian spotter, amazingly bright and it lasts a long time 1.5 hours + at 900 lumens.

Can't wait to see the prototype MiahCheever[sup:d0cb5c4c4b]TM[/sup:d0cb5c4c4b] light. Perhaps we can refine and market them to mine explorers, I know about 500 who are interested in a bright, dependable light with a long runtime and adjustable output. Who knows, those crazy cavers might be interested also.
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mikezauner
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Cowboy
          • Jun 2008

I'm cheap. I use an energizer LED headlamp as a main and a few mag lights strapped to the side of my helmet as secondaries/spots. All 3 have excellent run times, and I can stay in the mine for 8+ hours at a time without a battery change. (yay old school light bulbs!)

I think I spent $15 on the whole lighting rig, including the plastic zip ties used to hold the mags in place.
          Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

I use the Petzl Myo XP as my main, and two LED mini-Mag lights as my lighting source. Since the mini-mags are battery hogs, I use them for spots and backups. I also keep a LED light on my keyring and a full LED 2-D flashlight in my backpack in case I pull a cheeverish move and drop my helmet down a deep and endless shaft of doom.
            -Fish
            Mojave Mine Team
            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mikezauner
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Jun 2008

That's the other reason I don't own expensive hardware like that. I have yet to lose anything while exploring caves/mines/whatever.

Although, I'm sure if I had a rig like the other guys around here I'd lose it on the first outing. I'm notoriously hard on my equipment, which is why I almost always buy based on durability, not other specs.

--Beard

Comment

• Jeff
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Nov 2008

So what does the modern day hard rock mining professional use for a light source?
                Jeff
                Mojave Mine Team
                Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• rhartill
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jun 2008

According to this website, India miners still use carbide lamps:

MSA sells these still battery cabled headlamps,

largely because the ALSO sell a rack charger to charge dozens (a whole work shift) at a time. This style is largely impractical for our type of mine exploration because these lights are heavy and we would like the lighter weight to allow for carrying more ore samples to the light of day.

A lot of firms out of China sell knockoffs of these MSA lamps, with a minimum order of 1000 units. If MU’ers want to go in and order a minimum lot, we’d be ready to rock and roll

Comment

• CaverStretch
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Oct 2008

I've been looking at getting the Brunton L5 5-Watt LED Headlamp. Does anyone have one of those?

Specifications

Rechargeable Battery External 4.5Ah NiMH rechargeable battery pack

Bulb Five Watt Luxeon K2â„¢ LED

Run time Up to 50 hours on one charge

Maximum light distance 246 ft

Weather resistant Water resistant

Features Benefits

External Battery Pack with Powersave 50 hours of use and when battery power goes low, the L5 steps-down to a shorter distance output (15%) to conserve battery power.

Four light modes including emergency flash mode Adjust light for high output or conservative use or for emergency lighting
                    Robert Cranney
                    Mojave Mine Team
                    The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."

Comment

• Stuart
                      Administrator
                      True Mojave
                      • Sep 2007

That doesn't look like a bad setup Rob, the battery pack is a plus. What kind of a price tag is there on this Brunton?

According to this website, India miners still use carbide lamps
                      That is interesting, I love the look of a carbide lamp. I still want to buy one and give it a try. I would also love to get one of those Permissible Mine Safety lamps, I'll keep watching ebay.

As far as bulk ordering Chinese MSA knockoffs, I think everyone here has too much of a unique style to have all the same lights
                      -Stuart Burgess
                      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                      Burgess Exploration LLC
                      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mike Schriber
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Dec 2008

We just switched to these headlamps by Essential Gear...

Essential Gear HeadStream Headlamp

I've used their tactical lights before and the quality has been excellent. They make a lot of OEM products for name brands. We used them on our last trip to Calico and they performed flawlessly. They are VERY bright with good beam quality. They have two brightness settings (plus flash). Another nice feature is the rear "brake" light. It's a red LED that can be set constant or to flash. It makes it easy to pick out other people in the mine. They use AA batteries which lasted the whole Calico weekend.

We'll see how they hold up in the long run but the price is right.

I can get these wholesale if anyone is interested.

Mike
                        Underground Explorers
                        California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• Derek
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Jul 2008

I also have an Essential Gear Headlamp and I like it so far. http://www.essentialgear.com/store/p...-Headlamp.html
                          -Derek
                          Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mike Schriber
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Cowboy
                            • Dec 2008

I was wondering about the Focus Control model. I thought about my use and I couldn't think of any times where I would actually mess with the beam width. The extra low power LED's seem nice though.

How's the beam and fill quality?

Mike
                            Underground Explorers
                            California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• Mikezauner
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Cowboy
                              • Jun 2008

I tweak the beam width all the time on my mags. gives me tons of capability. There's times I want to focus on one particular thing, and others I want to fill a stope with light, and others I'm in a small tunnel and dont' really need a huge wide beam.

--Beard

Comment

Working...