• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mymania
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Jun 2008

South Jordan considering ban on fake guns

Speaking of guns, I should start cross posting some of my gun/hunting posts from bogley:

South Jordan city leaders are considering a ban on air guns, BB guns, paintball guns and some firearms replicas.

South Jordan considering ban on fake guns
    June 5th, 2008 @ 8:58am

SOUTH JORDAN, Utah (AP) -- South Jordan city leaders are considering a ban on air guns, BB guns, paintball guns and some firearms replicas.

Police say they've had more than 15 complaints in the last year and a half about fake weapons that were mistakenly thought to be real.

The police department recently responded to a 911 call of a man lying in the bushes with a rifle that turned out to be fake.

Police are asking the City Council to ban certain kinds of weapons and the fakes. The rule would require residents to notify police if they plan to use items listed in the ordinance.

Similar ordinances have already been passed in Salt Lake City, West Jordan, West Valley City and North Salt Lake.

The South Jordan council is expected to discuss the proposal June 17.

Information from: Deseret News

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Another article

South Jordan police considering banning fake guns
    Reported by: Jill Atwood
    Last Update: 6/05 8:48 pm

SOUTH JORDAN, Utah (ABC 4 News) - The South Jordan Police Department is considering an all-out ban on fake buns, BB guns, airsoft guns, and anything that looks like the real thing.

Officers said there have been too many close calls and they're afraid someone is going to get killed.

Last year a student at Granger High School was seen with a gun in his waistband.

Also last year, Juan Diego High School went into complete lockdown over another gun scare.

Neither incident involved a real gun, but cases like this are prompting South Jordan and other cities to take a hard look at the problem.

However, an all-out ban seems like a knee-jerk reaction to at least one city council member.

Aleta Taylor said, "The truth is, you cannot legislate stupidity. There's no way, so you ban this and then you have to ban something else."

Taylor said she would like to see more education in the community and more specifics in the proposed ban ordinance. She said right now it's too broad and lacks balance.

Police Lieutenant Matt Evans said he agrees the ordinance needs some tweaking, but feels it is necessary to protect the public and police officers.

Evans said, "The ordinance doesn't ban anything. It's simply trying to get people to have these activities in a responsible manner."

Police officers said this ordinance will be open to public comment. The city council will discuss it again on June 17. Salt Lake City, West Valley and West Jordan already have similar ordinances in place.
    Aleta Taylor said, "The truth is, you cannot legislate stupidity. There's no way, so you ban this and then you have to ban something else."
    :roflol:
  • Ah-Teen
    Mojave Child
    • Mar 2008

"A man lying in the bushes with a rifle that turned out to be fake. "

Yeah, airsoft rocks, people who whine about airsoft guns don't. :P

We've had the police called on us in some of the dumbest places, like way the hell out where few past Heber in the middle of winter because SOME one got spooked when he saw us as he past by the property owned by a guy that gave us permission.
    Originally posted by Me
    So... Ya'll like gas masks eh?
    http://ah-teen.deviantart.com/

Bauer. You will be missed. *sniffle*

Feed the hungry!

Comment

• Mike
      Administrator
      True Mojave
      • Sep 2007

Haha everybody talks of banning airsoft! Screw em!

I havn't played in a good 5-6 years, but what a great game. I'm sure the Army loves underage (1 people playing it. What a good preparation for war.

Next thing we know, people will start playing with non-lethal rounds in real guns... now that would be cool...
      -Fish
      Mojave Mine Team
      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Stuart
        Administrator
        True Mojave
        • Sep 2007

ban what?

. The rule would require residents to notify police if they plan to use items listed in the ordinance.
        Hmmm.... Sounds a little 1984 don't it.

-Mojave
        -Stuart Burgess
        Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
        Burgess Exploration LLC
        http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
        Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

Working...