X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonesbilt
    Mojave Baby
    • Aug 2012

Buried WW2 equipment between Barstow and 29 Palms

Hi this may be slightly off topic for this forum but I figured that the knowledge base of the folks in this forum might shed some light on a interesting story an old man told me a few years ago.

it kind of goes like this. I was in the ACE hardware store in Twenty Nine palms Ca back in the mid ninetys and waiting to check out the stuff I had bought, while waiting an older gentlemen struck up a conversation with me and we chatted for a few minutes. He said that he had a friend who was a prospector in an around the area of 29 and he claimed his buddy had noticed a strange area on the side of a steep canyon that had been blasted closed for no apparent reason. Anway he thought this would be a logical place to being a exploratory mine shaft and in side of 20 feet of so had tunneled into another tunnel system. The cool thing about this was the fact that the tunnel was chock full of WW2 army equipment, Jeeps trucks, boxes of uniforms, parts rations and weapons. Well the old man closed by saying that his friend had died and never shared the location of his find, which i dont blame him for.

well now the hook was in me and I imagined finding this equipment dump for lack of a better term. My research so far has not yielded much except for the fact that it would not be improbable that something like this could in fact exist as there was a fall back plan in a counter to a Japanese invasion of the west coast, this is pretty well documented and evidenced by the desert expeditionary air fields which are still visable and some active and civilianized up and down the west coast.

My question to the group is, has anyone ever heard of this before or am I on my own here? Further research had brought up some good clues to where this location could be. Barstow used to connected to Twenty nine palms back in the 40's and the whole area was mostly a Live fire range belonging to the army. I guess you would have to have a good transportation system in close proximity with railroad sidings ect. So my estimate would be that the location could potentially be in the Vicinity of ludlow along the national trails highway which looks like a sizable rail road siding, it is also serviced by the old rt 66. This is of course a total shot in the dark but a potential realistic one. Anyway in closing I plan of doing some adventures in this area in the fall and will let you know my findings if any. Please post any comments that could help in any way. thanks Evan
  • Kiel
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

very interesting, lots of weird military stories invloving mines from ww2 to the cold war
    Underground Baby!

Comment

• ryan162
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

I have heard bits about this story while googling things but I dont think its true. There are lots of weird desert stories in socal. I think its just due to the vast area of unknown out there. Similar to how people who live on the edge of a large body of water always talk of sea monsters. There's underground rivers of gold, Aliens giants in death valley,spanish gold bars, lost ships, and cupacabra all out there.

I think its deffinaly possible and for the army to loose it is also possible, but Anyone who found this would have made profit on it one way or another no matters whos land it fell on. Especially a prospector, since they are resourceful and always in need of money. Taking the info to the grave just makes for a good story IMHO

Similar story's here:

If you're headed out that way, MJR has alot of local members and wheels out there alot. www.myjeeprocks.com
      Last edited by ryan162; 08-12-2012, 02:12 AM. Reason: adding MJR

Comment

• sanpet
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Mar 2011

29 Palms

That story could be very true. I was stationed at 29 stumps in 1966-67-68 in the Marines. That cave would on the base somewere 29 Palms is the largest Marine base they have. You could put a 175mm gun in the middle of thar base and fire a 6400 mill at max range and not hit any thing of vaule and have lots of miles left over. How ever there are lots of UFO stories in that area. The best one I heard is of a women who was at a walled compound in Yaka Valley I think. Any she said that she was pregnent by a Mars man. When I got there she had been pregent for 2 years and when I left there she still had not had the baby. She said it takes longer with Mars men.

Comment

Working...