Susan Powell, West Desert what has been checked?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dungeon crawler
    Mojave Baby
    • Feb 2012

Susan Powell, West Desert what has been checked?

Hello fellow mine packrats,
    Susan Powell has been on my mind lately like everyone else and I started wondering what has already been checked. I know that MU teams did some volunteer searching in Tooele County and WVPD searched around Ely, NV but has anyone made a checklist of stuff that has been looked at so we are not dupicating our efforts? It would be pointless to waste gas and effort if it has already been checked. Now that her family will never get any justice maybe we can give them some closure.

Perhaps we can list mine names or general locations that have been checked already or PM the GPS or something..

Several of us have the technical experience to do a mine survey safely. We know the BLM, State, and Police have neither the resources or manpower to conduct this search.
    We will never confirm what that coward did to her now that he is dead and took her location and two innocent lives to the grave with him. We need to find her. It will either be some recreationalist 50 years from now stumbles on her or she will never be found unless we can start systematically checking possible locations off. thoughts?
  • Therrin
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jan 2011

I just read the news report for the first time.

These points stuck out.

Powell told investigators that, on the night his wife went missing, he had taken his sons camping in a blizzard to a remote part of the state.
    an attorney for the Cox family says the kids had recently started to open up about what happened on the night of their mother's disappearance. Steve Downing said, "They had gone camping. Their mother had been in the trunk and later, their mom and dad walked out into the desert and mommy got lost."
    What kind of car do they drive? Is it an actual "car"? May limit just how far "off road" they went.

"Their mother had been in the trunk" That doesn't sound very good. I wonder if a kid could be convinced that daddy lifting mommy's body out of a trunk and walking off with her could be the same as them going off together, especially if the kid is really tired.

Might be a good chance they didn't go much further than where the car was parked.

Hard to say. Be nice to have more information. Was it blizzarding across the whole state on that day in Dec 2009? or just in a certain area?
    Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• acidman1968
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Therrin
      I just read the news report for the first time.

What kind of car do they drive? Is it an actual "car"? May limit just how far "off road" they went.

"Their mother had been in the trunk" That doesn't sound very good. I wonder if a kid could be convinced that daddy lifting mommy's body out of a trunk and walking off with her could be the same as them going off together, especially if the kid is really tired.

Might be a good chance they didn't go much further than where the car was parked.

Hard to say. Be nice to have more information. Was it blizzarding across the whole state on that day in Dec 2009? or just in a certain area?
      If I remember correctly, they were driving in a minivan, which would limit their choices of roads. And again, if I'm remembering things correctly, it snowed about six inches overnight the night Susan went "missing".

The area they supposedly went camping is in the West Desert, at a place called Simpson Springs. Simpson Springs is located along the Pony Express National Byway, and was an actual station stop along the Pony Express, and later for the Overland Stage. The road to get to Simpson Springs is graded gravel, and he would have had to go over one pass (Lookout Pass) which can be a little tricky - but not impossible - to do in the snow.

I've been over Lookout Pass and out past Simpson Springs more times than I could conveniently remember...

And yes, I've given thought about "where" along the drive from West Valley, UT to the West Desert, a person driving a minivan could find easy access to a mine (or other place) to dispose of a body. Unfortunately, the West Desert is a great big empty, and people have disappeared out there without any help from anyone else, so there are lots and lots of possibilities...
      I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• sanpet
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Mar 2011

Death Canyon is just 10-15 miles from Simpson Springs. Has any of them mines been serched?

Comment

• acidman1968
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by sanpet
          Death Canyon is just 10-15 miles from Simpson Springs. Has any of them mines been serched?
          One thing to ask, is whether a person could drive a minivan into Death Canyon during a fairly heavy snowstorm in the middle of the night...

That being said, I do believe that most of the mines in Death Canyon have been visited by members of this forum.
          I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• lobster68w
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by sanpet

There are only a handful of mines in DC that are still open. I've been in all of them within the last year. IT would of also been impossible for a minivan to get there with any amount of snow on the ground in the WD. Besides, those mines are mostly adits, not shafts.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• sanpet
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Mar 2011

van

If that van is a front wheel drive it just might surprise you wher it can go.

Comment

• Stuart
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

We have now gone out on three different dedicated searches covering the Tintic mountains, West Tintics, and the Dugway Range. In the Tintics we looked at every shaft not already sealed up and even dropped a camera 1200 feet down the Copperleaf shaft. In the West Tintics Crystal and I have covered ever shaft (that we know of) that wasn't already sealed. In the Dugway range we cave covered every shaft and all the adits as well. A couple of months ago four of us went out and dropped the 180' Iron Sides shaft and it was clear on at the bottom and I did some digging as well. Unfortunately the bottom in December of 2009 is anywhere from 30-60' underneath where I was able to access due to some heavy vandallism prior to our first search.
                -Stuart Burgess
                Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                Burgess Exploration LLC
                http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• johnrsemt
                  Mojave Baby
                  • Feb 2010

Searches

This is where I wish the police departments were more willing to share where they have searched. I go out in the West Desert alot also; and have always kept my eyes open.

And who ever said it; you can get a minivan in some crazy places; the Soldier missing from Dugway got a 4 door, front wheel drive sedan into a place that I wouldn't want to try in that.

In fact next weekend (23-25 March) there is going to be a big push/search in the north end of the Dugway range for the missing soldier. His parents are going to be in the area for it: there are going to be multiple cadaver dog team and more than 50 people on horseback. We are also keeping our eyes open for Susan Powell.

If anyone on this site knows what mines in that area have been checked/searched or explored since May 8th, 2011 it would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comment

• lobster68w
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by johnrsemt
                    If anyone on this site knows what mines in that area have been checked/searched or explored since May 8th, 2011 it would be appreciated.

Thank you
                    Between the official and unofficial searches and the MU exploring, I'm very confident every mine has been checked.
                    Last edited by lobster68w; 03-17-2012, 07:08 PM.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Stuart
                      Administrator
                      True Mojave
                      • Sep 2007

I agree with Lobster68w, we have searched every mine in the Dugways that we know about. Since Nov 8th 2011 we have searched all the shafts and the majority of the adits a second time just in case the missing Dugway Soldier ended up in one of them.
                      -Stuart Burgess
                      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                      Burgess Exploration LLC
                      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• johnrsemt
                        Mojave Baby
                        • Feb 2010

search

On the search the last weekend of March: We had 11 Cadaver dogs teams; and over 100 people on horseback. Searched the North end of the Dugway range and from the Dugway fence south approx 6 miles, East approx 8 miles from the range with a person on a horse every 30'. also horse searched the range they got people on horses into places I couldn't get on foot. Nothing on either of them.

And He did get his car into a place that was tough at the time in a SUV. it has been graded since and is much easier to drive to. So don't discount a determined crazy person in a mini van in snow

Comment

Working...