X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • josh bernhard
    Mojave Teen
    • Jan 2011

Ogden Iron Works?

Anybody know anything about this company? I've been going through the vaults at the Ogden Union Station and have found some wooden patterns for mining equipment. The Utah State Railroad Museum also has one of their "demonstrator" mine carts.

From what I've been able to find, the OIW (or the Ogden Iron & Steel Manufacturing Co.) was a major supplier of mining equipment, but I haven't been able to figure out what exactly they made besides ore carts.

Thanks,

Josh B.
    Josh Bernhard

Certified AATN* and professional rivet counter
    *All-Around Train Nut
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Harley (friend of MU) had a collection of OIW blueprints and sketches from their many different projects. I'm sure they built just about anything that was asked of them. I have a mine car blueprint I bought from him with eventual plans to frame it.
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Dawn_CL
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Nov 2009

Are you able to post a few of those patterns for wooden mine cars?
      Dawn

Comment

• UnderUtah
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jun 2008

I only know of their manufacture of mining equipment such as ore cars and the like. Agreed Kurt, Harley had purchased a bunch of engineering drawings and a wooden wheel pattern from them. I in turn purchased a few drawings from Harley. I "reproduced" a wooden wheel pattern and their ore car tag on my CNC equipment because I was sooo jealous of what Harley had bought. Any further information, patterns, drawings, records, etc. that are available to be purchased or that can be shared online would be great. I would love the opportunity to get my hands on anything from their operation! Thanks for sharing!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-21_10-21-55_274.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	11335
        Miah
        Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• josh bernhard
          Mojave Teen
          • Jan 2011

Well, I don't know if the museum is interested in giving up any of the patterns, but there are hundreds of them- the majority from agricultural machinery. The vaults only hold about 10% of the collection. The rest are stored in the Laundry Building (the large brick structure directly to the south of the station).

I was wondering if anybody knew what they made so I can identify some of the patterns- for example, there are three large carts full of wooden gears that each have a number but no other identification, and I'd like to see if they go with some mining-related machinery. Since my first post I found an ad from 1956 announcing that the company made belt conveyors, gravel bins, hoppers, transmission machniery, mine cars, cages and skips, chutes and gates, wheels and axles, and head frames and sheaves.

Here are some of the gears:

Name:	IMG_6924.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	11336

Thanks,

Josh B.
          Josh Bernhard

*All-Around Train Nut

Comment

• Joanne
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Dawn_CL
            Are you able to post a few of those patterns for wooden mine cars?
            Dawn,

I believe that they are discussing wooden patterns that are pressed into casting sand then pulled out so the molten iron can be poured into the void, thus creating the cast iron part.

Joanne
            Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• josh bernhard
              Mojave Teen
              • Jan 2011

Went throught the vaults today looking for some Railroad rulebooks and found these two patterns- a wheel and gear. Most of the patterns have a Casting Card stapled to the back, with a record of the dates that castings were made from them. Unfortunately I can't read any of them.

Name:	IMG_3096.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	11337Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3097.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	11338Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3095.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	11339
              Josh Bernhard

*All-Around Train Nut

Comment

• sanpet
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Mar 2011

rails

You might try this site UtahRrils.net

Comment

• ExpUt
                  True Mojave
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by josh bernhard
                  Went throught the vaults today looking for some Railroad rulebooks and found these two patterns- a wheel and gear. Most of the patterns have a Casting Card stapled to the back, with a record of the dates that castings were made from them. Unfortunately I can't read any of them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]525[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]526[/ATTACH]
                  Very cool!

Brent and I visited a gentleman here in Sandy that is big into steam powered equipment (like 10+ steam operated tractors on his property), he also has a limited amount of mining related equipments, boilers, sawmill, etc. As I recall they still operate the sawmill (albeit not on steam as of late) and sell mine timbers to Kennecot, how cool is that. He had a wall full of wood part patterns that were related to his equipment restoration. Very similar to the patterns you found... I didn't even thing to check the tags for any Utah manufactures.
                  Kurt Williams
                  CruiserOutfitters.com
                  ExpeditionUtah.com
                  MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• balecrone

Hi bro. I have heard about this type of vaults. Mostly they will contain casting cards. I am looking for another type. If you came across any different design please post it.

Thanks in Advance

Comment

• ExpUt
                      True Mojave
                      • Jul 2008

Was at a presentation tonight (on the lost Rhodes mine of all things) tonight at the presenter worked at a mine near Alma Colorado in the 70's? He mentioned that they designed a piece of equipment they needed for their placer operation and he specifically said it was then built by Ogden Iron Works. I guess I assumed they were long out of business at that point but I guess not.
                      Kurt Williams
                      CruiserOutfitters.com
                      ExpeditionUtah.com
                      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• josh bernhard
                        Mojave Teen
                        • Jan 2011

hmm, interesting information. Thanks
                        Josh Bernhard

*All-Around Train Nut