• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike369
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Sep 2010

What did you do this weekend?

I have seen topics like this is other forums and thought I would start one here. This is just a general topic on whatever you did over the weekend whether it was exploring a mine or mowing the lawn.
    So I'll start. I was going to go exploring but I couldn't get an air meter and the weather just plain sucked. So instead I decided to work on my jeep and get it ready for Moab. I built the front bumper about a month ago and have slowly been working on my rear bumper. I finally got everything welded up and cleaned and no I am debating on powdercoating or paint. There are a couple small things that I still want to do but they aren't structural just cosmetic.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	11433

• acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

Well let's see... Friday afternoon I headed for work for a 12 hour night shift at the smelter. Saturday morning I slept. Saturday afternoon I headed for work for another 12 hours of fun and adventure at the smelter. Sunday morning I tried to sleep, but for some reason I couldn't sleep well... Now? I'm back at work for night shift number three of four...
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Joanne
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jul 2009

I traveled down to the old mining town of Calico, CA for a weekend of camping with our Dutch Oven club. The town is now a western/mining themed tourist town. The wind blew and it was chilly the whole weekend, but we missed all the rain. The hills behind the town are dotted with adits, but I don't get any chance to go hiking. I don't know, but with a campground so close I would imagine that most of them are closed off. Still it was nice to get out of town. Lots of good food too!!

Joanne
      Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Therrin
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jan 2011

From Calico you're only about a 1.5 mile hike to the Bismark.
        Last time I was at Calico and tried to drive up to the Bismark, it took almost 2 hours. The access road is in terrible condition, and stretches you out to about 14 miles overland to wrap back around to it.

There are several good spots in that area though. All the little ones close to Calico itself are pretty cheesy, but if you get up into the hills above there you can find some decent spots. We have a favorite up there which has recently been caged. (D'oh!)

The weekend before last I went up to Kernville / Keyesville area with one of my classmates who lives in Kernville. We walked around a few sites and located some adits, then drove around and did the same. Located maybe a dozen bat-gated adits and shafts.
        Couldn't do any actual vertical work cuz my eye is still healing, but we did walk inside a couple drifts which weren't gated.
        There's some bad air in at least one of them. Didn't have a meter with me, but it was wet/rotted/stale smelling, and after 6 mins gave you a pretty good headache/dizzy feeling, being only about 90 ft inside. There are the remains of someone who "lived" in there for a while apparently. I'd like to hit it with a meter and see what the air is flavored with, but we got outta there as soon as ill effects were noted.
        Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
        TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:

Comment

• lobster68w
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Dec 2008

Well, this past weekend I didn't do anything.

Weekend before I was down in Las Cruces for the 22nd Annual Bataan Memorial Death March. 26.2 miles of fun hiking through the desert.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Mike369
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Cowboy
            • Sep 2010

So this isn't exactly what I did this past weekend but it was what I was doing for all of May ans part of June. We were in Morocco training with their Army. It was a pretty fun time and pretty good training. I did see a couple of active mines there, I wasn't able to stop and look closer but they looked pretty cool.

Comment

• Joanne
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jul 2009

I went out and did a little mine exploring.

I also received my new helmet and light. Now I have a decent spare for my son to use or when a newbie goes along.

Joanne
              Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• josh bernhard
                Mojave Teen
                • Jan 2011

what I did...

Name:	IMG_1332.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	11323

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	11322

I did a couple of things this weekend at the Utah State Railroad Museum, where I volunteer at their machine shop... notably filling the radiator of an ex-Air Force General Electric 44-ton locomotive to prep it for this year's operating season as well as hot riveting on the tender of a narrow gauge steam locomotive.
                Last edited by josh bernhard; 06-23-2011, 12:36 PM.
                Josh Bernhard

Certified AATN* and professional rivet counter
                *All-Around Train Nut

Comment

• go_browns79
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Aug 2010

After you upload your pic, put the cursor on the top left corner of the pic. Now you should see a pencil, click on it. Now you should be able to make the pic bigger and center it if you want to.
                  Bill

Comment

• Mike369
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Cowboy
                    • Sep 2010

So this weekend was Ophir Days. I just happened to stumbled upon it. I have read the thread that talks about Ophir days but I thought it said Aug 6. Anyway, we had originally gone out to do some shooting out by Mercur. My dad hadn't ever been to Ophir so I wanted to take him up there and show him the mines and all the cool mining stuff up there. So after we got done shooting we drove up Ophir canyon. Once we got up there we found out that it was Ophir days. It ended up being a pretty good time. There is some cool things to see up there. I really want to spend a day and hike around up in the hills and just explore.
                    That brings me to my next question. I know that it has been asked in the Ophir days thread but what is the possibility of us getting to explore the Ophir hill mine? That is on the top of my list to explore. I know it's a long shot but I'd love to explore it. On the same note the Hidden Treasure is in the No.2 spot of mines to explore. Since they are both owned by the same person maybe we could explore one or the other. I see all the picture of the Hidden Treasure on the gallery page and I need to get out there bfore they close all those mines for good.

Comment

• ExpUt
                      True Mojave
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mike369
                      So this weekend was Ophir Days. I just happened to stumbled upon it. I have read the thread that talks about Ophir days but I thought it said Aug 6. Anyway, we had originally gone out to do some shooting out by Mercur. My dad hadn't ever been to Ophir so I wanted to take him up there and show him the mines and all the cool mining stuff up there. So after we got done shooting we drove up Ophir canyon. Once we got up there we found out that it was Ophir days. It ended up being a pretty good time. There is some cool things to see up there. I really want to spend a day and hike around up in the hills and just explore.
                      That brings me to my next question. I know that it has been asked in the Ophir days thread but what is the possibility of us getting to explore the Ophir hill mine? That is on the top of my list to explore. I know it's a long shot but I'd love to explore it. On the same note the Hidden Treasure is in the No.2 spot of mines to explore. Since they are both owned by the same person maybe we could explore one or the other. I see all the picture of the Hidden Treasure on the gallery page and I need to get out there bfore they close all those mines for good.
                      You sure? Everything I could find points to it being the first weekend of August annually? Maybe they were prepping for the big event lol.
                      Kurt Williams
                      CruiserOutfitters.com
                      ExpeditionUtah.com
                      MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• lobster68w
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Dec 2008

Nope, this weekend was Ophir Days. They have had a sign up off of SR73 for quite a while.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• sanpet
                          Mojave Cowboy
                          • Mar 2011

Usmc

Originally posted by Mike369
                          So this isn't exactly what I did this past weekend but it was what I was doing for all of May ans part of June. We were in Morocco training with their Army. It was a pretty fun time and pretty good training. I did see a couple of active mines there, I wasn't able to stop and look closer but they looked pretty cool.
                          Another Marine. S/F. I did 2 tours in the Marines. 1964-66 with Whiskey 3/12 ( 4,2 inch mortars. Then state side till 1969-70 with Hotel 3/11. 26 months in Vietnam. My dad bought one of the 1st tote goats that came out. The 1st ones had no brakes. Lots of fun coming off the steep hills.

Comment

• KDT1970
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Miner
                            • Sep 2009

This weekend, We went and explored the Honerine mine, and shot some video of it.

Comment

• lobster68w
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Miner
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by KDT1970
                              This weekend, We went and explored the Honerine mine, and shot some video of it.
                              The Honerine is fun in that's it's a big mine, but there really aren't that many cool things inside. It would be awesome if it was still possible to get through to the Galena King, but all workings that we found were collapsed.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

Working...