• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therrin
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jan 2011

Injury Report and Photos

(Decided to put this in it's own thread, where I should have put it at first anyway, so as not to derail other threads, sorry)

Photo of the injury within 10 mins after it happened, after getting most of the facial bleeding to stop.
    Notice that the blood can be seen pooling inside the eye. This drives up the internal pressure tremendously, and occludes vision.
    By the time I got to the ER, about 12 hours later, it was a bit over "half full", they actually had considered drawing the blood off with a needle. Ugh.

We had drove/hiked 6 miles into the backcountry to hit a mine site. We had set up camp, and it was dark outside and getting verrry cold, so we started a fire in this big steel box of a stove. Went around gathering and breaking up firewood to fit in the thing. We were placing the wood against this rock ledge and busting them up to make the pieces short enough to fit. Had done it prolly a hundred times over already, over the hours.

I placed a smallish piece of wood down, and broke it with my foot, but the upper edge of it had caught a lip of rock and hurled the 10 to 15lb piece of rock straight into my face. Completely demolished my glasses, headlamp went flying, and I ended up sprawled out on the ground. About 10:30pm.

My right eye felt very strange, hurt like crazy, had blood pouring over my face from a gash above my eyebrow, broken vessels in my eye... had to get out my spare glasses and my mini-medkit that I had previously mentioned on here. Had blood soaking through the 4x4's for a bit, but it finally stopped bleeding. Taped around my head to fresh 4x4's. Couldn't hike out at night... too far, too cold, terrible roads. Too much pain.

Ended up leaving early in the morning. Arranged with my dad for a CHP to meet me at the nearest road, then drove me code 3 to the hospital 60 miles away. I was in so much pain from every bump and jolt on the way coming out that I was crying nonstop, and moaning; and I usually have a high pain tolerance.

Got rushed through the ER sign in, got a cat scan, my bones are all fine, no bleeding in my brain; but my eye is bleeding on the inside and from behind. The pressure in my right eye is at 40. (12 being normal). Got a shot of morphine, and 3 kinds of eye drops and some oral meds.
    I have to see my opthalmologist tomorrow morning, and each following morning for a week.

So, I'll know more tomorrow. Till then I've got this plastic shield taped over my eye, and loaded down with medications and pain killers.

I was within a hair or having a medevac flown in, from the intensity of the pain last night; almost more than I could bear, and had no idea what was happening inside my head. Just cried and screamed a bit and made it through the night.

It gives a perfect example of a bad situation that would be easily taken care of when you aren't stuck in the back country.

In the CHP car, on the way to the hospital.

In the ER about to be released.

So, having seen the eye doctor, the result is that we won't know what damage has been done to my eye for a couple weeks. The blood remaining inside my eye will take time to dry up and be reabsorbed by the eye. Until then it gives me the effect of looking through a fogged glass window.
    After it has cleared up, I'll take a visual field test and we'll determine what vision loss has occured, compared to my most recent visual field from a couple years ago.
    I have to get my pressures checked at the eye doc's office once a day for a week, to insure the pressures are staying low, and that the clog hasn't broken open.
    I'm currently on Norco, Diamox, Atropine, Prednisolone, Timolol; and occasional morphine.
    The Diamox and Timolol work to reduce the pressure, Prednisolone is a steroid, Atropine is a high strength vaso-dialator, and Norco and morphine are for pain.
    And I have to keep a plastic eye shield taped in place over it for the next couple weeks; and am not allowed to do any "physical activity", nor lift anything more than 5lb.
    Herpin' so hard I'm derpin'.
    TRESSPASS??? Meeee? :mrgreen:
  • Therrin
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jan 2011

Oh, I'd like to throw out a big shoutout to Dav, Rob, Dominic, the California Highway Patrol, my parents, and the ER staff at Henry Mayo Hospital (Valencia, Ca).

Everyone pitched in together to get me out of the location in the quickest amount of time, and coordinated together to hand me off to the CHP to get me to the hospital, and to take care of my truck and my gear so that I didn't have to worry about any of it.

I am VERY grateful to everyone for assisting me, it means a lot to me.

Even the ER staff sped me right through and got a Doctor over to me in no time flat, and were very kind and helpful, and explained things before I could even ask questions. They were very thorough and gentle, I think they went above and beyond to give me the best care possible.

I've spent plenty of time thinking up how to react to emergency and rescue situations for others, but never thought that I'd find myself right in the middle of one.
    Having been there now, I realize some of the other logistical concerns to include in my plans for others, to keep things flowing smoothly.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

• Kiel
      Mojave Miner
      • Feb 2009

Crazy, glad your ok
      Underground Baby!

Comment

• rhartill
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jun 2008

We need your eyes in Cali to continue to report and see things as they are out there, hope you have a speedy and full recovery! Valencia is the gateway to the I5 Grapevine...were you by any chance in the Frazier Mtn area? [Old stomping grounds for me!]

Comment

• Therrin
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Jan 2011

Thx rhartill.

Can't wait for this all to be back to normal. It's very annoying.

On Friday I was walking down the hall at the building where my training program is. There's also a Nursing training course there. A door opened up on my right side that I didn't see, and I totally collided with this cute little thing wearing scrubs, and accidentally got a hand full of boobs.
          I was instantly apologetic and tried to explain that I was really sorry, but she saw the bandage over my eye and she was like "omg you poor thing it's okay don't worry about it!" and she gave me a big hug and asked about my eye.

A couple mins later the guy next to me said "man, on monday, I'm wearing an eyepatch to class, that was awesome!"

*facepalm*

Comment

• acidman1968
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Therrin
            Thx rhartill.

Can't wait for this all to be back to normal. It's very annoying.

On Friday I was walking down the hall at the building where my training program is. There's also a Nursing training course there. A door opened up on my right side that I didn't see, and I totally collided with this cute little thing wearing scrubs, and accidentally got a hand full of boobs.
            I was instantly apologetic and tried to explain that I was really sorry, but she saw the bandage over my eye and she was like "omg you poor thing it's okay don't worry about it!" and she gave me a big hug and asked about my eye.

A couple mins later the guy next to me said "man, on monday, I'm wearing an eyepatch to class, that was awesome!"

*facepalm*
            ...and you didn't get a phone number for a future date?
            I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Therrin
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Miner
              • Jan 2011

No... I actually didn't think of it. D'oh!
              If the upside is walking into girls in hallways, the downside is the fuzzy brain part from the painkillers.

The tattoo artist I sit next to in class drew an eye on the tape covering the eye shield thing that goes over it. It looks really creepy! He does fantastic work.

Comment

• Joanne
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jul 2009

Therrin, how's the eye healing? Been thinking of you and hoping that it's getting better!!

Joanne
                Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• davantalus
                  Mojave Baby
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Therrin
                  Oh, I'd like to throw out a big shoutout to Dav [...]
                  Nothing you wouldn't do for me. The best part was swerving around that ranger's truck, "Git outa my way, we're on a mission!"

Hopefully your eye clears up nicely! I'd be secretly hoping to keep the red colored eyeball. That's some sweet looking heterochromia.

Comment

• Therrin
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Jan 2011

UPDATE:

Well, it's been 3 weeks since my incident.
                    I have an appt. this week to see if everything is cleared up inside, and if so, then we'll go ahead and do a visual field test and take photographs of my optic nerve and some other stuff.

The medication keeps my right eye fully dilated 24/7, so I have one pupil which is normal size and one that's wide open; the big one really sucks in light, so it's kinda disorienting sometimes. They did it that way to keep the stuff in that eye in one position, so they're not flexing back and forth with changing light conditions, while it's healing.

Thanks so much to everyone who's been so supportive.

^If your eyes look like this, you've got issues.

Comment

• miner49r
                      Mojave Child
                      • Mar 2011

Getting Better

Hope things continue to look up for you. I'm glad your above picture is medically induced - you scared me for a second!!

Comment

• John
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Oct 2008

It's looking much better.
                        Good luck.

Comment

Working...