• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhartill
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Jun 2008

DOGM to be defunded?

Check out page 39 of this draft proposal from the fiscalcommission.gov folks:

Some of the reasons why even a pro-government administration is proposing eliminating the coal royalty tax payments to states for non-coal mine closures:

• Kiel
    Mojave Miner
    • Feb 2009

End payments to states and tribes for abandoned mines? Could be very good.
    Underground Baby!

Comment

• Mike369
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Sep 2010

This sounds like it could be very good for us as abandoned mine explorers.

Comment

• Joanne
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jul 2009

From the article posted,

"Huge amounts of AML taxes paid by coal companies have been diverted to reclamation of non-coal mines in western states. Through the end of June, $281 million - about $1 out of every $10 spend on AML cleanups — had been earmarked for such projects."
        I can certainly understand why mines that cause environmental damage need to be addressed, but it's obvious to everyone on this site that the efforts out here in the west are simply to close every mine site that can be found. While we have numerous closures here in Nevada, it's NOTHING compared to what's happening in Utah. Although there seems to be some concern about the effect on bats, there is absolutely no attention paid to the historical value of these sites.

Hopefully the funding patterns will be corrected and there will be less to be used for western closures.

Joanne
        Love to camp? Love to eat? Here's the place! www.camp-cook.com

View my ghost town & mine exploration photos: http://www.asolidfoundation.com/mines/mine_home.htm

Comment

• Dawn_CL
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Nov 2009

Well, lets all keep our fingers and toes crossed that this initiative goes through. Im hoping too that its a nationwide thing and not just for Utah.

Dawn
          Dawn

Comment

• rhartill
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jun 2008

The Moment of Truth

The fiscal commission's final report recommends defunding abandoned mine reclamation:

RECOMMENDATION 4.5: ELIMINATE PAYMENTS TO STATES FOR ABANDONED MINES.
            The Abandoned Mine Land program at the Department of the Interior operates a fund for the reclamation of abandoned coal mines across the United States. The program is financed by a fee paid by the coal industry. In 2006, Congress authorized payments from the Abandoned Mine Land fund to states and tribes certified as having completed the reclamation of their abandoned coal mines – though payments can be used for any purpose. The Commission recommends eliminating these payments because they no longer serve their stated purpose -- contributing to reclaiming abandoned coal mines. Instead, they are paid to states and tribes whose mines have already been reclaimed.

see the full report which Congress begins debating today, December 1, 2010:

Comment

• Dino
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Jan 2009

Hmmm.. Sounds like someones getting ready to rob the mine reclamation fund. Are they going to give the money back to the coal industry since the payments are no longer serving the intended purpose?

Comment

• Dawn_CL
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Nov 2009

Seems like that only relates to coal mines and not ALL mines. So i guess they will still be destroying non-coal mines then regardless if our ever-so-great congress eliminates the funding.
                Dawn

Comment

Working...