Utah's Ghost Town Class

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crystal

Utah's Ghost Town Class

The U is having a Ghost Town Class next Wednesday that should be pretty good. Hope everyone can make it, Stuart and I will be there!
  • acidman1968
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Jun 2010

Sounds like an interesting evening... If things work out, perhaps I'll try to attend.

On another note, has anyone else read "Some Dreams Die: Utah's Ghost Towns and Lost Treasures" by George A. Thompson?

If you haven't, see if you can find it. It's a good read! When I was given my copy, the book was out of print, and the only way you could buy it was through used booksellers, and it seemed like the minimum price was about $50. Now however, I believe you can buy it online for about $20. From what I can tell, the old codger pretty much went around to most - if not all - of the places he describes in his book, and he collected the stories about each location...
    I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Crystal

Stuart and I have a copy and every time we read it it wets our mining appetite even more!

Comment

• Dino
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Jan 2009

Dang! I'll be out of town next week. Looks like the class will be informative and reasonable. Hopefully they'll touch on some of the history of Ophir, Mercur and Kimberly (some of my personal favorites).

Some Dreams Die is a must have for anyone interested in Utah ghost towns and I've found Ken Sanders Used and Rare books in SLC currently has copies of most of George Thompsons books for sale.

Comment

• rhartill
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jun 2008

Utah's Ghost Town Class

Ken has copies of the book SDD because his shop published it in the 1980s.....

Is the Ghost Town Class being taught by Stephen Carr this year?

Comment

• acidman1968
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Jun 2010

Another book that may be of interest to people on this site is called "Mining, Smelting, and Railroading in Tooele County"

The mining part of the book is mainly about the mines near Stockton, and those sections were written by men who actually worked for the mine companies.

The smelting section deals mainly with the Anaconda Smelter that was located to the east north-east of Tooele.

The railroading section deals with the railroads that went out to the smelter and down to the mill at Bauer.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a copy of this book, I believe it can still be found at the offices of the Tooele Transcript-Bulletin on main street in Tooele. My wife purchased my copy as a birthday present, so I don't really know exactly how much she paid for it.
            I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• rhartill
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Jun 2008

It is a bargain at $20 plus tax...

Tooele Transcript-Bulletin commented on your wall post:

"Yes, we have that book here in our front office. The cost is $20 plus tax."

BTW, the Tooele Transcript-Bulletin has a Facebook page...

check them out here:

News, sports, hometown features, events, opinion, columns, businesses, classifieds, advertising, print services, publishing. Tooele, Utah. Serving Tooele County, Utah, including Tooele City, Grantsville, Stockton, Erda, Stansbury Park, Rush Valley, Vernon, Lake Point, Wendover, Dugway, Terra, and Ibapah.

Comment

Working...