• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

National Historic Mining Initiative

Mojave Underground, along with our partners, are pleased to announce the National Historic Mining Initiative (NHMI). This partner based organization aims to promote preservation, educate the public, expand our knowledge, encourage safe exploration, and provide a great opportunity for exploration groups nation-wide to come together once a year during an NHMI Conference.

The 2010 NHMI Conference will be taking place June 17th-20th in Park City, UT at the Westgate Hotel. Registrants will have the opportunity to hear from some of the top professionals in the US, including mining engineers, historians, explorers, photographers, geologists, and much more. During the 4 day conference, you and your family will have the chance to participate in mining activities, tours, and opportunities to 'get dirty' with mining history.

Register now to take part of an incredible and amazing opportunity to share our love for mining!

More details and registration options can be found at the National Historic Mining Initiative website: http://www.historicmines.org/

Do your part and attend the 2010 NHMI Western Mining Conference!

Registration starts at $100 for the family and includes the entire 4-day conference. Click here for a direct link to registration.

Questions? Comments? Use this forum to discuss whats on your mind.

We are looking for speakers, vendors, and sponsors to help promote this event and the organizations. Several sponsorship packages are available and come with very nice incentives. email Mike at mcapps@historicmines.org for more information.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • ExpUt
    True Mojave
    • Jul 2008

Bump, hope your all planning to attend!
    Kurt Williams
    CruiserOutfitters.com
    ExpeditionUtah.com
    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Danb
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Sep 2009

I sure wish I could go. But that is the weekend when I start working my placer claim in Idaho. That’s the time the water level and temperature are at the peak for dredging.

Park City is a special place for me. My great grand father worked as an accountant for one of the mining companies there. Grandmother was born there. Her younger sister died at the age of 2 and is buried in the old cemetery. Their house burned in the fire of 1885 and again in the fire of 1898. Great grand dad said enough is enough, and they moved to Salt Lake. We have no idea where their house was. I have spent hours and hours at the Park City Library going through old micro fish and only came up with the obituary of my grand mothers sister. It was a very interesting tour through history.

Have fun up there,

Danb
      We do it underground and under water.
      Claims Manager, Utah Gold Prospector Club

Comment

• Crystal

Follow us on Facebook! National Historic Mining Initiative

Comment

• Crystal

Stuart Burgess is a confirmed speaker talking about Utah Mining Camps and Ghost Towns. Don't miss out!

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

Crystal Burgess has also been confirmed to be speaking at the conference!
            -Fish
            Mojave Mine Team
            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mike
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

Prices for the conference have been dropped.

Basic package now starts at
              $50.

Booking a hotel room for the nights at $250 grants free admission to the conference.

Speakers attend free.

Discounts available for students active in any related field.

The time to RSVP is coming up shortly! RSVP now to reserve your spot!
              -Fish
              Mojave Mine Team
              MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Crystal

Photographer extraordinaire Brent Benson just confirmed to donating one of his very own pictures to the silent auction! You do NOT want to miss out on this, register today!

Comment

• Stuart
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Its getting close guys don't forget to register!!!

If I don't see at least seventy Mojave Underground members there I am going to backfill every mine in Utah forever.
                  -Stuart Burgess
                  Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                  Burgess Exploration LLC
                  http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                  Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• rhartill
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Outlaw
                    • Jun 2008

Stuart sounds serious...if you wanna save Utah mines from being backfilled forever, take his advice and come to Park City Jun 17-20. If you are a father, or know and have one yourself, invite HIM to spend a relaxing Father's Day weekend up in Park City, UT. No better father's day gift than a MINE!

Comment

• acidman1968
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Miner
                      • Jun 2010

I'd love to be able to make it - but because I just recently joined up on the board here, I didn't really know about it until this last weekend, and we (my wife and I) already have some plans for that weekend...
                      I'd say I'm fat and out of shape, but, "round" is a shape...

Comment

• Mike
                        Administrator
                        True Mojave
                        • Sep 2007

NHMI Agenda
                        First Annual Mining History Conference
                        Park City, UTAH
                        June 17-20, 2010

Thursday June 17th, 2010
                        5PM to 10 PM Early check in (Arrival and set up for speakers, sponsors, dealers and groups)
                        Friday June 18th, 2010
                        (All talks in Bison Rooms 3-5 unless otherwise noted)
                        9:00AM Sign in and pick up packets, first view of exhibit hall
                        10:00AM Underground Mine Photography Workshop
                        11:00AM Copperopolis CA Mining history—Brian Beck, BEAR
                        12 noon Luncheon in Bison Room 1 and 2— The Life Cycle of a Mine Discussion/Political Update

1:15PM Rio Tinto in Utah—Bingham and Beyond—Matthew Tobey, Rio Tinto
                        2:30PM Exploration Equipment Review and Roundup—Stuart Burgess, Mojave Underground
                        3:00 PM American Fork Canyon Mining History—Kurt Williams, Expedition Utah
                        4:00 PM Collectible Mining Lighting—Crystal Burgess, Mojave Underground
                        4:30 PM Mine dumps as artifacts—Corey Shuman, Gold Rush Expeditions
                        5:00PM Dinner in Bison Room 1 & 2
                        7:00PM Opening Dinner Discussion--Why a National Historic Mining Initiative? (panel)
                        Keynote Address: The First Annual White Hat Awards… NHMI congratulates and awards several activists for their efforts in saving and documenting mining history, and comments on several infamous agencies and their efforts to erase mining history.
                        9:00PM Movie Night Bison Room 6. Pick from several full length movies with mining themes: Park City Underground Mining Adventure, Blowing our stacks, Ophir Mine Tour, Castle in the Clouds

Saturday June 19, 2010
                        8-9AM Sign in, browse exhibits and booths in Conference Exhibit Hall
                        10:00AM Uranium Mining History, by Dr. Gary L. Shumway, PhD
                        10:30AM Working w/government to Save Mines — Michael Capps, Mojave Underground
                        11:00AM Fluorescent Minerals of Utah
                        12 noon Lunch in Bison Room 1 and 2
                        1:15 PM The whys and hows of staking a Mining Claim on Federal Land— Corey Shuman, Gold Rush Expeditions
                        3:00PM Mine exploration innovation (A Krafty mining McGyer)—Jeremiah Chesley, Mojave Underground
                        4:00 M Crown King Mine/Bradshaw Mtns AZ exploration report—Brian Beck, BEAR
                        5:00PM Dinner Meeting Bison Room 1 and 2 Where do we go from here? Lessons from Overseas (The Cornwall story) —Russ Hartill, Adopt-A-Mine
                        7PM Silent Auction Results Announced of books, ephemera and collectibles
                        9PM Movie Night (concluded) Bison Room 6
                        10PM Retire
                        Sunday June 20th, 2010
                        Park City area driving tour—Meet in lobby at 8:30AM, return to lobby at 11AM.
                        Park City mill hike—tentatively scheduled depending on snowmelt.

You will learn how to document, explore, and understand the history and folklore of mining. You will be exposed to the latest trends, tools, equipment you’ll need and regulations you’ll be up against in exploring and interpreting our mining heritage. Lastly, you’ll be entertained, shocked, and inspired to help document, preserve, present and interpret our western American mining history. Come spend a relaxing Father’s Day weekend with us in Park City, Utah!
                        For more information, visit http://www.historicmines.org
                        -Fish
                        Mojave Mine Team
                        MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Crystal

NHMI is tomorrow! Get your tickets at the door!!! You can register Thursday at the Westgate starting at 5pm

Comment

• John
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Miner
                            • Oct 2008

Wish we could be be there. Hope the turnout is huge.

Have fun and gain some knowledge to share.

Comment

• rollerton
                              Mojave Baby
                              • Apr 2010

I hope its a huge success for you all. Wish I could be there but too many prior commitments for this year. The talk on Crown King Mine and the Bradshaws is a topic near and dear to my heart and would love to be there for that.

Comment

Working...