• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Miners Day Parade - Park City - Labor Day

Mojave Underground is going to be in the Park City Miner's Day Parade this Labor Day. We are inviting all members to attend in the parade with us! Wear your coveralls, lights, helmets, harnesses, boots, and anything else that will make you look bad @. The more members, the better opportunity we have to advertise ourselves and get people interested in mining.

We need ideas on what we would like to do for the parade. I'm not sure we have time for a float; perhaps we can hand out pamphlets that cover both mine exploration and the history of Park City's mines. The Miners Day Parade last year had absolutely nothing to do with mining, this would be a great opportunity to really stand out of the crowd and put on a good show. Whats everybody's input?
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • Crystal

Anybody who would like to participant in the parade with us we will need to put your name down on the application papers. So if you want to join us let Stuart or I know ASAP!!

Comment

• Jeff
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Miner
      • Nov 2008

Want to but can't sorry guys and gal(s)
      Jeff
      Mojave Mine Team
      Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• UnderUtah
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Jun 2008

As Mike and I have discussed, I am building two towable (behind my ATV) faux ore carts that we will need bodies to fill and wave from, and I will be working with Mike to produce a pamphlet and banner for Stu and Crystal to carry in front of us ala the color guard - (Stu, no gold-tipped baton or tall furry hat - sorry! ) this along with a few people to pass some yet to be discussed candy treats and or swag to the parade viewers should make quite the entrance. There will be Mojave branded bling-o-plenty to help get our name out there. I am excited! Last year's so-called "miner's day" parade featured everything but miners, yet included the likes of competing political candidates, plastic surgeons tossing sample sized implants and candy sized Vicodin to future clients, the obligatory fire truck with siren blaring, and a miniature lama (or alpaca, who the hell can tell them apart anyway?) accompanied lovingly by the not so miniature ex-Jazz basketball star Mark Eaton. What a sight...

I am committed to making this year's parade truly mining related.

Any other suggestions would be great, as well as your participation! There is a cool drilling and mucking (filling the ore cart with dirt) competition as well as the standard Park City fare. Come join us!
        Miah
        Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• John
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Oct 2008

I've RSVP'd Yes at the Meetup just to be safe.

Kim will be checking Saturday night to see if she can get the time off. If she gets it, then we will be there with our son.

Comment

• UnderUtah
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jun 2008

Members of Mojave Underground participated in the Park City Miner’s Day Parade this Labor Day. While past parades included little related to Park City mining and more related to present political candidate squabbling, eco-friendly massage parlors, and tall men husbanding short lamas, this year was a bit different. We sprinkled-in a little mining history flair with our entry; placed between the Summit County Bookmobile and thankfully ahead of the squirting flower whimsical clown duo, we rattled down main street with a banner, an ATV pulling replica ore carts, and Mine Team members handing-out candy and brochures – we were very well received.

We began the parade at the top of Main Street, Stuart and Mike in full regalia - coveralls, helmets, and vertical gear, carrying the Mojave Underground banner while waving to the crowd. Crystal and Jeff dawned coveralls and vintage carbide lamps and an Edison electric miner’s lamp as they handed-out brochures and candy from 70 year old dynamite boxes. More than a few kids were seen dropping their double shot mini mocha chais to grab a good old fashioned sucker, and the brochures – a brief history of Park City Mining - went all too quickly to interested adults. John carried a miner’s pick and strolled along side his wife Kim and son John riding inside the ore carts. Miah was the motorman for the ATV. Everyone seemed particularly interested in who we are and what we do, and more than a few people called from the balconies and sidewalks to compliment “the miners” in the Miner’s Day Parade.

After the parade we were off to a well-earned lunch at the Irish Pub, then down to the park for the mucking and drilling contest. This year’s entries included contestants that compete every year and some new faces, even an 83 year old miner gave it a go! The drilling proved to be the most technical contest of the two, and more than a few drill steels hammered up the face of the block or found their way into other contestant’s holes.

This year was definitely the most exciting for us, and we think that we really brought a mining theme back to the Miner’s Day Parade. Thanks to all who were able to join us!
            Photos of some of the fun as well as video of the mucking and drilling contest should be online within the week.
            Miah
            Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Troy
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Cowboy
              • Mar 2009

Just saw a short clip of you guys on ksl. Nice work. Was Stuart riding in one of the carts.... Swear I saw his trademark cowboy hat.
              Troy E.

Comment

• UnderUtah
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jun 2008

No that was John's wife Kim. Stu was in an earlier clip carrying the banner. I think it's pretty neat that while talking about the Miner's Day Parade and mining history they led with two clips of our group! We recieved better coverage than the drill team or the British car club! Fun!
                Miah
                Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Troy
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Cowboy
                  • Mar 2009

Yep, I just saw the clip again on ksl.com. I guess it's gotta be hard for the news editors to convey the spirt of what the parade is supposed to be about without mining related participants in the parade. Makes total sense.

Here is the link to the article and the video, for those that want to see it.

Park City mayor Dana Williams is facing three challengers in his bid for a third term this year. Pressure is high to address growth and economic issues in the resort town.
                  Troy E.

Comment

• ExpUt
                    True Mojave
                    • Jul 2008

Way to go guys, wished I could have joined you!
                    Kurt Williams
                    CruiserOutfitters.com
                    ExpeditionUtah.com
                    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

Working...