• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stuart
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Ophir Campout 7/11/09-7/12/09

Since it looks like it might finally be summer after all, I figure its time for a campout!

As many of you already know, we are hosting an Abandoned Mine Introduction trip on Saturday July 11th at 9am and after the trip we decided it would be fun to have a campout up the canyon. On Sunday we will be extracting an Ore Bucket for the mine owner and afterward we will be doing some more advanced exploration.

If you are going to be joining us for the campout and Sunday festivities, please RSVP here on the the forum or by private message to Crystal. As this is an unofficial activity we will not be posting this on Meetup.

If anyone is interested in coordinating one of the meals, please collaborate on this thread. It would be fun to have a potluck dinner or breakfast.

As usual bring your camping gear and mine gear, including snacks and a lunch.
    -Stuart Burgess
    Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
    Burgess Exploration LLC
    http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
    Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

I will be there! I can do lunch afterwards; the usual sandwiches, chips and dip.

Do we have anybody that can play guitar or provide campfire entertainment?

I think I'd like to investigate where the airflow is coming from in the back of the mine, past the krufty section. When I was in there yesterday, there was a substantial amount of waterflow. I noticed it was all draining down the side of the tunnel, and falling a decent distance. Small crack it was going in to. Curious where is all going. This is right about the same area where the airflow is coming from.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Troy
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Cowboy
      • Mar 2009

Don't know about the campout....possibly. I will plan on helping you guys out with the ore bucket extraction for sure.
      Troy E.

Comment

• John
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Oct 2008

Possibly an opportunity to sleep inside the mine after the campfire stuff?
        Then I wouldn't have to scramble to register & prep the tent trailer.

Comment

• Crystal

That all depends on the weather, I want to camp outside if it's fairly nice.

Comment

• John
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Miner
            • Oct 2008

Cool, I'll bring the air mattress & a tent or something to be prepared either way.

My Brother in law has been registered here for a while, but unable to do any trips until now. I was already bringing him to the next hidden treasure trip and he just let me know he'll be available for this trip too. So I'll get him there in time for the intro trip (not his first time underground, just first time with the group) & then he'll stay to camp & help extract the ore bucket, explore, ext.

Can't wait to finally help do some work to pay it forward.

BTW, any ideas for the potluck? Should I bring some plinking irons?

Comment

• Stuart
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

Ideas for a potluck, I always enjoy good bbq beans, or a seven layer bean dip, or just some plain old baked beans, beans beans beans.

As for the plinking irons, that would be fun, only got about 5 rounds left... Anybody know a good place to get 7.62X39?
              -Stuart Burgess
              Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
              Burgess Exploration LLC
              http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
              Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• John
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Miner
                • Oct 2008

Beans! Are you sure? After I nearly killed off the group at the Hidden treasure trip? Perhaps I'll bring some Corn Nuts for Fish too.

Anyway. I'm not sure about ammo. I was on a mission to find 5.45X39 for the S&W15R and 7.62X54R Light Ball (150gn.) for the PSL Sniper Rifle with no luck last weekend. I do have a meager supply on hand though.

But for surplus 7.62x39 I'd try calling Gunnies, Van Wagenens or FBMG to start with.

Comment

• Crystal

Ok boys lets get back on topic.
                  Let's do away with the beans AND corn nuts. I don't have enough filters for my gas mask to make it out alive. :0
                  Do we want to do a potluck or just have everyone defend for themselves? I'm kinda leaning towards having everyone bring their own food but I could go either way if someone else wants to organize it.

Comment

• Tree
                    Mojave Baby
                    • Jul 2009

How long does it take to get through the mine? Would we still be welcome if we could only attend from 9-11am? Would really like to come out to this, but am worried that the timeframe is too short perhaps? Any feedback would be welcomed. Thanks!

Comment

• Mike
                      Administrator
                      True Mojave
                      • Sep 2007

Hi Tree. You will be able to leave during several parts of the activity. There are usually a few others who wish to leave early. Just be sure to remind your group leader.
                      -Fish
                      Mojave Mine Team
                      MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Tree
                        Mojave Baby
                        • Jul 2009

Sweet! Thanks for the info Mike. Being as I am a TOTAL noob, I was wondering if you could suggest a few things to bring outside of the obvious: flashlight, water, granola, etc... Any help would be appreciated, because I no nothing. Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated!

Comment

• Crystal

That's a good start, you are going to need a helmet of some kind. Home depot and Lowes have some for real cheap but a bike helmet also works.
                          You will need:
                          Gloves
                          Extra Batteries
                          Good hiking boots
                          Pants/long sleeve shirt or jacket (it's about 50 degrees underground)
                          snacks and water
                          Meetup has more information on this particular trip.

Comment

Working...