• Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Ophir Hill Service Project - June 27th 9am

SEEKING STRONG BACKS!

Its time for another Service Project for our good friend, Leo. Leo owns all the property on the north side of Ophir Canyon all the way to the south side of Dry Canyon. He is who allows us access to the Ophir Hill, Green Eyed Monster, Buckhorn, Hidden Treasure, and many, many more mines. These projects always turn out to be a lot of fun and good memories.

Lunch will be provided!

In this service project, we'll be extracting an ore cart near the Hoist, and a round ore bucket near the top of the mine.

The ore cart has no wheels or base, and can be lifted by two people. The utility cart will be used to extract this item.

The harder item will be the ore bucket. I picked it up by myself, however we'll need around 4-5 people to safely get it out. It will have to be lifted by hand down the incline and to the haulage tunnel where it will be hauled out on the utility cart. Its a pretty straight shot most of the way. 90% of its journey will be downhill.

Meeting @ the mine @ 9am on Saturday, June 27th.

Appreciate ANY help I can get. Should have both projects done within 5 hours. A team of around 8 or more would be awesome. Will be doing some exploration when done.
    Thanks!
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • Jeff
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Miner
    • Nov 2008

Count me in.
    Jeff
    Mojave Mine Team
    Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• XXX Snow
      Mojave Teen
      • Sep 2008

Im in

Comment

• Troy
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Cowboy
        • Mar 2009

My wife and I are hosting a birthday party for our niece at our home for that day
        Troy E.

Comment

• John
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Oct 2008

Crap....me too. We're doing our Son's Birthday this weekend.

Comment

• Mike
            Administrator
            True Mojave
            • Sep 2007

Thanks Bodine and Snow. My brother and I will also be there. That makes four so far. Now we need a few more...
            -Fish
            Mojave Mine Team
            MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• ExpUt
              True Mojave
              • Jul 2008

Doh, wish I could make it. I'll be camping in the Great Salt Lake desert with a bunch of vintage vehicles and equipment. (relicrun.com). Next time!
              Kurt Williams
              CruiserOutfitters.com
              ExpeditionUtah.com
              MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mike
                Administrator
                True Mojave
                • Sep 2007

I've also got my two brothers coming along. 5 of us should be plenty to get at least one item out.
                -Fish
                Mojave Mine Team
                MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Mike
                  Administrator
                  True Mojave
                  • Sep 2007

Thanks everybody who helped out! That includes Jeff, Brent, and a new guy, Max. Your help was greatly appreciated. Lunch and dinner was delicous!

We successfully extracted the ore cart from the hoist room and hung out afterwards, enjoying the beautiful canyon and eating the famous sandwich we always have. This time, however, mustard and mayo were included!!

After we were done, we decided to head up to the Hidden Treasure to see if Miah was working on the gate. He was not there, so Jeff, Brent, and I decided to head in. I gave a very basic tour of the mine, and decided I wanted to look for the Upper Oxidized Zone. We scoured the approximate location, looking for the right area. While we did not find it, we did find some unique cylinder crystal formations in the wall. I am still decided what they are. All my research points to Selenite Satin Spar crystals, however mindat shows no selenite in the Hidden Treasure. More research will tell.

When we got out, I found I accidentally left something deep in the mine near the upper zone. Jeff and I ran back as quickly as we could, and what took us an hour to get to, we got to and back out of the mine in 25 minutes. VERY impressive.

Thanks again everybody. Remember, service projects reap great reward
                  -Fish
                  Mojave Mine Team
                  MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook

Comment

• Jeff
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Nov 2008

It was a great trip everything went smoothly and it was an awesome time as usual, the Hidden Treasure is a must see for anyone that has not been in there,I can't wait to go back in.
                    Jeff
                    Mojave Mine Team
                    Follow me on Facebook

Comment

• John
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Miner
                      • Oct 2008

Glad it went well. I'd rather have been with y'all.

Started the day by decapitating one of the sprinklers with the lawn mower. Then spent a few hours running herd on a dozen kids over for my Son's birthday party. And finished by shopping for & replacing the busted sprinkler.

Comment

• Mikezauner
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Jun 2008

d'oh. wish I knew about this trip before today. Isn't that where stu troy and I were back on the last trip? or was that determined to not be the upper mineralized zone?
                        Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

• Stuart
                          Administrator
                          True Mojave
                          • Sep 2007

Glad all went well, it was my and Crystals 2nd anniversary. No, beard they did not make it into the same area up where we were, they did however find a different way into that long incline we found.
                          -Stuart Burgess
                          Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                          Burgess Exploration LLC
                          http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                          Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mikezauner
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Cowboy
                            • Jun 2008

Aha. alright. be interesting to see how they got to the incline and where else it connects to. we really need to do more exploring there.
                            Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

• Troy
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Cowboy
                              • Mar 2009

I agree Beard. I believe that incline is part of the "chicago mine". However Mike and those guys got to the incline, I hope it's easier than the way that we found... Additionally, I wonder if there is a way into that incline from the ground surface. I was under the impression when we were inside the Hidden Treasure that the entrance must be caved in, and that the Hidden Treasure is now the only way into what was known as the Chicago Mine....Curious to know.
                              Troy E.

Comment

Working...