• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark1955
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Dec 2008

Utah Mine In Process Of Re-Opening

The large Utah mine out west of Fish Springs is in the process of re-opening. I've now met the geologists(twice in fact) in charge of this and they say they are after large deposits of either galena or cadmium... I can't remember which for sure... which ever metal it is the Geologists both said it was used in the galvanizing industry. A friend of mine has the claim on the Wilson Mine which is literally right next door to the Utah and the folks that are opening the Utah back up tried to take his claim right out from under him... Aside from the fact that he has done alot of improvement work on the Wilson Mine... all out of pocket... its also been in his family since the early 1900's, and yes, his lastname is Wilson. After much negotiation he has things straightened out as far as his family's claim goes. The Utah Mine claim in this area by a Denver Company now extends clear down to the Cactus Mine which is very close to the right hand turn that heads off to Calaio. There is now a gate protecting access to the Utah as well as the Wilson Mines. While the Wilson Mine is a "hobby mine" and you'd be very welcome there the Utah is guarded so don't tresspass. Note that the Utah Mine also includes the Early Harvest Shaft, Galena Mine, Emma Mine, And Vulcan Mine.

[url=http://www.imageposter.com/uploads/get/589052][img]
  • Mark1955
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Dec 2008

Down in the Wilson Mine....

Comment

• UnderUtah
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

Great info! We drove past the area last year on a trip to Gold Hill. We wanted to see if we could visit, but we were there well after dark. It would be neat to see this hobby operation actually in operation.
      Miah
      Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Mark1955
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Outlaw
        • Dec 2008

I can definately arrange a group tour of the Wilson but not of the Utah... they won't allow anyone in there. Interestingly they would also not diosclose if they were planing to mine underground or do an open pit. An open pit would very definately ruin that part of the desert. The Wilson Mine isn't real large... goes down about 120 feet is on two levels... and goes out in several directions... The Wilson was mined by Chineese labor in the early 1900's and its still in excellent shape today. In fact the person running the mine actually has a bedroom down in it at the 85 foot level complete with stove and referigerator.

Mark

Comment

• UnderUtah
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Jun 2008

That would be great, I figured the commerical operation would be off-limits, we're partial to the Ma and Pa operations anyway. Perhaps later this spring we can set something up.
          Miah
          Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Mark1955
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Dec 2008

I'll ask and see when he's planning on being out there next... He doesn't go much in the winter months. BTW: People I know that have been through the Utah say it's better then a trip to Disney Land...

Comment

• Stuart
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

Better than Disney Land huh, too bad we will most likely never get to see it. Thanks for the update Mark. I remember seeing the gate and wondering what was going on up there at the Utah and now I know. I would love to go see the Wilson, I hear it is a neat little mine. Do you know any production stats on the Utah, extensiveness of the workings etc?
              -Stuart Burgess
              Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
              Burgess Exploration LLC
              http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
              Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mark1955
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Dec 2008

Hi Stuart,

No, unfortunately I do not but judging by the size and number of tailings piles, shafts and addits it was very extensive. Clearance Wilson does know alot about all the mines in the area ... He spent time out there on and off with his grandfather since he was a small kid. He has early photos of the workings around there and many pics of the Wilson mine.... there were quite a few buildings out there at one time... none stand today and many were dismantled for the wood for other uses. Clearance has done alot of upgrades to the Wilson including new hatch covers over the shafts, new ladder/ore cart track and ore carts in addition to cleaning up the mine itself. He uses his truck's winch to haul the ore car up and down. There is a mine right near the Wilson called the Midget Mine... and yes, it was dug out by midgets and is not very tall! YA have to stoop over to go through it...

What does concern me is the possible damage that may happen to this area if the state allows it to be mined by open pit.

Mark

Comment

• Derek
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Jul 2008

I have also heard that the Utah Mine is very large and interesting to explore. Too bad that it has been re-leased and we will never see it in its glory. I have been told that the main shaft is 900' deep, but if a person takes their time they can explore all, but the last 50' of the mine without repelling at all.
                  -Derek
                  Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• ExpUt
                    True Mojave
                    • Jul 2008

I spent a good amount of time in the Utah Mine in ~03' or 04' as well as several others in the area. We did not have vertical gear with us, so our exploration was just a fraction of the total terrain. Would absolutely love to get back in there!

Didn't Corey of Gold Rush Expeditions host a private mine tour of the Utah Mine with the owners within the last couple of years or was that the Wilson? Or am I thinking of a totally different mine (I wasn't able to make it to the tour).
                    Kurt Williams
                    CruiserOutfitters.com
                    ExpeditionUtah.com
                    MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mark1955
                      Advanced Explorer
                      Mojave Outlaw
                      • Dec 2008

Hi Kurt!

Yea, Corey's group did a tour and an overnight at the Wilson Mine. We also did the Cactus mine and tried to crawl through the Midget Mine on the same trip. On that trip was the first time I met the Geologists that were working on assessing the Utah.

Note that there are also some addits way above the Wilson kind of in the cliffs... don't know what thay are yet but would like to check them out on the next trip out there.
                      Mark

Comment

• lobster68w
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Miner
                        • Dec 2008

I wish I would of come across this last week! I was out that way this past weekend, and sure enough, going up the hill towards the mines, were "no trespassing" signs and a gate. Towards the bottom, right off of the Pony Express road, are a couple shafts with doors open, no signs posted. Not sure what mine they belong to though.

Éirinn go Brách

Comment

• Mark1955
                          Advanced Explorer
                          Mojave Outlaw
                          • Dec 2008

The addit out by the P.E. Trail is called the Joseph addit. I once tracked a huge jackrabbit that ran into that addit... He was at least three feet tall on his hinds. That tunnel goes in quite a ways and dead ends into the Early Harvest Mine's shaft... I donno what the drop down that shaft is or which mine it is part of. The Galena mine and at least a half dozen of others are also in the same area as the Utah.

Mark

Comment

• ExpUt
                            True Mojave
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mark1955
                            Hi Kurt!

Yea, Corey's group did a tour and an overnight at the Wilson Mine. We also did the Cactus mine and tried to crawl through the Midget Mine on the same trip. On that trip was the first time I met the Geologists that were working on assessing the Utah.

Note that there are also some addits way above the Wilson kind of in the cliffs... don't know what thay are yet but would like to check them out on the next trip out there.
                            Mark
                            We didn't get up to any of the higher adits, just the lower parts of the hill. Wish I could have made it out there with you guys, next time!
                            Kurt Williams
                            CruiserOutfitters.com
                            ExpeditionUtah.com
                            MojaveUnderground.com

Comment

• Mark1955
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Outlaw
                              • Dec 2008

I'll work with M.U. guys to get a tour set up for Spring. Will be sure you have plenty of notice this time round. Would liike to see you out there!

Mark

Comment

Working...