Administrator
    True Mojave
    • Sep 2007

Underground Photography Workshop

THIS EVENT HAS CONCLUDED
    To view the Trip Report, visit this link:

Underground Photography Workshop

January 17th
    Mojave Underground Inc. is hosting an underground photography workshop. We will be teaching techniques on how to shoot properly underground, including proper flash use, long-term exposure, ISO selection, external lighting, etc.

Any cameras and people are invited, from all ranges of gear and photo expertise. We will be visiting some of the most amazing underground locations we have ever seen.

Dress warm, as we will be stationary for long periods of time as we prep scenes for shooting.

EVENT DETAILS:

Plan on meeting at 1PM at the Ophir Hill Mine - Coordinates to the meeting point are: 40°22'12.29"N 112°15'27.63"W
    Please bring your own safety gear! - This includes a helmet / hardhat, trustworthy light source, extra batteries, and a backup light.
    Please bring your own food / water / snacks. The cold temperature can make you hungry quick.
    Photo subjects will range from underground structures to quartz, copper, and silver ores.
    You must be 18 years of age or older in order to participate.

For those interested, we will be shooting guns before the photo event at 10PM. Visit this link for more information

If you are interested in amazing photography, you don't want to miss this trip!
    RSVP IMMEDIATELY TO SECURE YOUR SPOT!

Questions about the event? Feel free to send us an email at mojaveunderground@gmail.com

Donations are not required, but much appreciated! Help us cover gas and guest costs by donating.
    -Fish
    Mojave Mine Team
    MU Web Administrator

Follow us on Facebook
  • Mikezauner
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Cowboy
    • Jun 2008

I'll be there.
    Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

• Dwayne27
      Mojave Teen
      • Dec 2008

I will most likely be there. Saturday the 17th I am assuming?

Comment

• TooeleCherokee
        Mojave Teen
        • Jan 2009

I Joined just to go on this trip So I am in

my buddy Sam will probably be coming along for the ride too.

Comment

• RockRacer
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Outlaw
          • Dec 2008

I am interested in attending but I don't have anything more than a 5.1 Sony cybershot digital camera...
          Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• Derek
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by RockRacer
            I am interested in attending but I don't have anything more than a 5.1 Sony cybershot digital camera...
            That is ok. You'd be amazed how much you much you can do with a point and shoot.
            -Derek
            Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• RockRacer
              Advanced Explorer
              Mojave Outlaw
              • Dec 2008

Good to know, thanks Derek! I guess I better talk to the wife about going if that's the case. (Maybe find my owners manual and read up a bit also) Plus, I still need to meet you guys...

You going to be there Derek? I assume just responding to this thread is RSVPing?
              Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• Derek
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Outlaw
                • Jul 2008

I am going to try to be there.
                -Derek
                Mojave Mine Team

Comment

• Mark1955
                  Advanced Explorer
                  Mojave Outlaw
                  • Dec 2008

Wife had her left knee replaced and is doing pretty well so I'm going to get out of the house for the day... so I will definately be there. I have 2 extra cameras, one point and shoot digital and one 35mm Nikon Reflex something er other and can bring them for anyone that doesn't have one... Also, if anyone wold like to shoot with a 4X5 camera... just let me know... but you have to carry it!

Speaking of Photography... has anyone tried painting a photograph in a mine by setting the camera shutter open and using a spot light to paint the subject matter with light? There exists a book "Ghost Towns Of The American West" and the photography by Berthold Steinhilber was done this way. They are incredible photographs that also have a somewhat ghostly look to them that is fantastic. You have to see to appreciate so I may just drag the book along too and see if we can duplicate the look of these photos inside the mine!

Mark

Comment

• CaverStretch
                    Advanced Explorer
                    Mojave Miner
                    • Oct 2008

I've done it in a cave numerous times. Makes quite a shot. My favorite is when you have people in the shot and they move around.
                    Robert Cranney
                    Mojave Mine Team
                    The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."

Comment

• Stuart
                      Administrator
                      True Mojave
                      • Sep 2007

Speaking of Photography... has anyone tried painting a photograph in a mine by setting the camera shutter open and using a spot light to paint the subject matter with light?
                      Oh yeah! This is primarily what we will be doing on this workshop. A mine is a prefect location for lightpainting, you have 100% control over the light in complete darkness. I have also seen that book, and I love it! Please bring it along so we can all enjoy the amazing photographs it contains.

See you on Saturday!
                      -Stuart Burgess
                      Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
                      Burgess Exploration LLC
                      http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
                      Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mike Schriber
                        Advanced Explorer
                        Mojave Cowboy
                        • Dec 2008

I wish I was in the area so I could attend this. Working out how to take good photos in the mines has been a challenge. I figured I might post a little of what I've learned and hopefully someone will post some details of the workshop for those who couldn't attend.

I discovered very quickly that the flash location makes a huge impact. Most point and shoot cameras have a small flash located close to the lens (which is the main cause of red eye). This causes light to reflect off airborne dust directly back into the camera's lens. The best thing you can do to improve mine snapshots is to get a camera with a flash further from the lens or off the body entirely. One trick I've used is to take an old off-camera flash and set it to fire manually. I then open the shutter on my point and shoot for one to two seconds and fire the external flash in that time. My camera is unusual because it has full manual controls but even if your camera does not most will keep the shutter open for a second or so in pitch black in auto mode. It takes some experimenting but the results are dramatic. If you have people in the frame they need to turn off any lights or hold still so you don't see streaks from them moving or the camera moving in your hand.

We also found out that old can be good. One of our group had an old Canon PowerShot G1 3MP camera. It's a decent size camera (not a pocket camera like I usually carry) and the flash is a good distance from the lens. It also has a focus assist light and a hot shoe. Cameras like this can be bought used, often for under $25. This camera takes excellent mine pictures with it's on-board flash. When the dust is too much or the distance too great, the cheap old external manual flash can be fitted for a one piece solution. This still takes some fiddling because the camera can only trigger the flash, not adjust it's settings. A thyristor type auto flash would work even better without having to worry about manual settings. An old DSLR is also a great solution.

I've also gotten some fun shots painting the mine with a flashlight or having a hidden light source. I've either used a mini tripod or simply placed the camera on the ground or other convenient structure. This pretty much requires a camera with manual controls. You can use the self-timer if you don't have an external shutter release. The results of this technique can be quite striking.

Okay, enough blabbing. How about some pictures?

This first shot was painted in red light with the camera on a rock...

These next two shots were painted in white light...

The next shot is a combo. The camera was placed on it's back with a long shutter and the shaft was painted with light. At the same time a flashlight was shined down through the boards creating the false sunlight look.

These next few shots show what you can do with an off-camera flash triggered manually. Notice how bright the scene is and also how there is no reflected dust. You can really see how far a bright flash can reach with the last picture.

Last but not least is a dust free shot (in a dusty area) with the old Canon PowerShot...

I hope all this is helpful to someone! Have a great time this weekend!

Mike
                        Underground Explorers
                        California Abandoned Mine Exploration

Comment

• Dwayne27
                          Mojave Teen
                          • Dec 2008

Those are some awesome pictures! I am way excited for this workshop saturday. Hopefully get some great pictures of the mine, and then get some good pictures of Spanish Moss on monday! Excited to learn from the experts like Stu and Mike

Comment

• Jake
                            Advanced Explorer
                            Mojave Cowboy
                            • Dec 2007

Wow, nice pictures. I am extited to go and learn from the experts of Mine Photography but, I still don't know if I am going or not.
                            -Jake Burgess
                            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
                            Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• RockRacer
                              Advanced Explorer
                              Mojave Outlaw
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Mike Schriber
                              I hope all this is helpful to someone! Have a great time this weekend!

Mike
                              I don't know about anyone else, but those pics and info get me real excited for Saturday! Glad I made a deal with the [s:0f1d98aa56]devil[/s:0f1d98aa56] wife.
                              Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

Working...