• Show
Clear All
  • RockRacer
    Advanced Explorer
    Mojave Outlaw
    • Dec 2008

Re: pitch a tent?

Originally posted by Stuart
    How big is this mine? Are people pitching tents?
    The Ophir Hill has over 20+ miles of tunnels, stopes, raises, shafts, inclines, underground lakes, amazing natural formations, historical structures and equipment. Some of us have spent well over 100 hours exploring the mine and have not even come close to seeing everything above the water table.

No, there is not really a need to pitch a tent inside the mine. In the big/blue room where we will be sleeping it is a comfortable 52 degrees with no wind or precipitation to worry about. Something exciting about this trip is that you will be able to sleep under the stars and still be completely warm and comfortable Some of you already know the trick, but the rest will have to wait until Wednesday.
    HOLY CRAP! I am flippin out and everybody here at work are wondering what's up! That is awesome! On top of that, it sounds like this is one mine that the jerks aren't going to be able to close down. (Hope I am right on that one) I just found out that I will definitely not be able to make it this time, due to the funeral. How can I find more info about next weeks outing and also about the "service and extraction" work. I am interested in helping.

BTW, Would this be a mine that my Grandfather would be able to enter into? No crawling in or out? Sounds like this one is quite a bit different if a camera crew can go in, I guess.
    Tobin - K7TOB

Comment

• UnderUtah
      Advanced Explorer
      Mojave Outlaw
      • Jun 2008

As everyone juggles their schedules and tries to make it into the mine (at different times) we want to set-up a few proceedures and expectations to make this event as fun and as safe as possible.

If you arrive anytime between 3:00 PM and 4:30 PM on New Year's Eve, officers of the group will be at the site setting-up and hauling gear into the Bule Room of the mine. Find someone and they will help you sign-in.

Beyond 4:30 PM New Year's Eve or on New Year's Day expect that we will be INSIDE the mine. Please park and make your way around the buildings and along the tracks parallel to Ophir's Main Street and into the mine portal. You will find a Tag-in / Tag-out board and a Sign-in / Sign-out binder. Retrieve a tag and using the supplied zip ties affix it to yourself somewhere visible. (Do not attach the tag to body parts or thru any body piercings! )) Enter your information into the log book then follow the signs to the Blue Room. The Blue Room is on the same level as the main haulage tunnel and there will be directional signage to lead you there if you are unfamiliar with the mine. The Blue Room is approximately 2000' feet straight into the haulage tunnel then right at the junction and an additional 400'. DO NOT DEVIATE from the route to the Blue Room where you will make contact with the team. We want to know that you are safely inside before we begin exploring. In the unlikely event that nobody is in the Blue Room when you arrive, make yourself comfortable and wait for our return. DO NOT WANDER OFF BY YOURSELF. There are over 20 miles of workings to get lost in. Play it safe.

We will likely be exploring after we cook and eat dinner (eating between 6 and 10 PM) and we anticipate being in the Blue Room for the midnight countdown. We will be camping in the Blue Room and it will serve as our base during the trip.

We will likely eat breakfast and set-off for New Year's Day exploring no earlier than 9:00 AM.

For those who plan on attending after 4:30 PM including those visiting on New Year's Day, please follow the directions and signage and we will see you underground! Any questions may be addressed here in this thread - I will be checking-in until I set-off for the mine tomorrow at 2:00 PM. Feel free to post or PM me before tomorrow and I can clarify anything for you!

Thanks!

Miah

Miah
      Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• RedRockXJ
        Advanced Explorer
        Mojave Miner
        • Jun 2008

Well guys, have fun and be safe. I will do my best to see you guys on the next outing.
        Josh
        - Utah's Finest Outdoor Enthusiasts!

Comment

• CaverStretch
          Advanced Explorer
          Mojave Miner
          • Oct 2008

Light Sticks

Does anyone have any light sticks that they can bring out for the new years party? I want to show you guys something really cool in the mine. Not sure where I can get them where I live. Thanks. Robert
          Robert Cranney
          Mojave Mine Team
          The "Dude with the Trailer"

"It's time to put on your big girl panties and climb that ladder."

Comment

• UnderUtah
            Advanced Explorer
            Mojave Outlaw
            • Jun 2008

I'll see what I can do! See you there!!!
            Miah
            Mojave Mine Team

"...It's the only way... Go in, or go back..."

Comment

• Stuart
              Administrator
              True Mojave
              • Sep 2007

Does anyone have any light sticks that they can bring out for the new years party? I want to show you guys something really cool in the mine. Not sure where I can get them where I live. Thanks. Robert
              I have 50 in a multitude of colors!

We will likely eat breakfast and set-off for New Year's Day exploring no earlier than 9:00 AM.
              Does that answer your questions Bodine and Mike?
              -Stuart Burgess
              Mojave Mine Team

Project Manager
              Burgess Exploration LLC
              http://www.burgex.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MineExplorer
              Follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MineExplorer

Comment

• Mikezauner
                Advanced Explorer
                Mojave Cowboy
                • Jun 2008

It sure does. Thanks guys.

Still disappointed I can't really stay the night there, though.
                Proud owner of a Springfield XD 45ACP.

--Beard

Comment

Working...